Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Post #1

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Wolfbitn[/color] wrote:I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 IS more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang.
Wolfbitn has provided us with the debate question: Is Genesis 1 more scientifically accurate than Big Bang cosmology and string theory (which are two different things), or is it simply an ancient myth? What evidence is available to settle this claim?

Thread rules:
  • 1) Peer-reviewed sources only.
    2) No creationist or atheist websites may be used as sources.
    3) No empty, unsupported claims may be made; back up all positive statements with evidence.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Re: Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Post #21

Post by Wolfbitn »

Divine Insight wrote:
[color=red]Wolfbitn[/color] wrote:I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 IS more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang.
How in the world would an ancient myth that claims that a God said, "Let there be light, and there was light" be anymore scientific of testable that our current theories that the Big Bang may have started as a quantum fluctuation?

And why should Genesis be trusted when it gets everything else wrong after that?

I am assuming your information comes from translations of translations. Mine comes from the Hebrew which lends an entirely different look. I promise you that youll have this to compare... I am just waiting for someone to actually refute a point or verify that my opening argument is fair and correct.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by Danmark »

Wolfbitn wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Danmark]

So you agree then that my opening argument is verified. I dont see you refuting a single fact presented. I see you agreeing that BB doesnt qualify as a theory.

We have not even begun applying Genesis from the Hebrew for "comparison"... this will come when someone can just have the integrity to say... "yes the facts presented regarding the BB are true". Then we can continue in an orderly way... OR pick a single point or several one by one and refute them if you can... I shouldnt have to repost it for you
Please withdraw this false statement about what I said. You somehow managed to claim I wrote exactly the opposite of what I did. Perhaps that is why you don't quote me. The rules of engagement on this forum do not allow me to characterize the nature of this error of yours; but they do require you to withdraw a statement you can't support. Withdraw or support.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #23

Post by Divine Insight »

Wolfbitn wrote: I am assuming your information comes from translations of translations. Mine comes from the Hebrew which lends an entirely different look. I promise you that youll have this to compare... I am just waiting for someone to actually refute a point or verify that my opening argument is fair and correct.
What is there to refute thus far? :-k

I personally feel that scientists have actually offered plausible explanations for the Big Bang based on Quantum Theory and known physics.

What do we have in the bible concerning the Big Bang?

God said, "Let there be light, and there was light".

There is nothing else in Genesis about the "Big Bang", everything else is associated with how the universe unfolds after that.

So thus far you haven't presented anything to refute.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #24

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Wolfbitn wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:
How in the world would an ancient myth that claims that a God said, "Let there be light, and there was light" be anymore scientific of testable that our current theories that the Big Bang may have started as a quantum fluctuation?

And why should Genesis be trusted when it gets everything else wrong after that?

I am assuming your information comes from translations of translations. Mine comes from the Hebrew which lends an entirely different look. I promise you that youll have this to compare... I am just waiting for someone to actually refute a point or verify that my opening argument is fair and correct.

I have no problem addressing your first point, Lets also see your account of Genesis's scientific validity. I promise I will address both posts in the same posts.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #25

Post by Danmark »

Wolfbitn wrote: I am assuming your information comes from translations of translations. Mine comes from the Hebrew which lends an entirely different look. I promise you that youll have this to compare... I am just waiting for someone to actually refute a point or verify that my opening argument is fair and correct.
"Assumption" is the correct word to describe your statement.
I took my summary of the Genesis creation myth from The Complete Jewish Bible.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=CJB

If you prefer, you could use this:
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0101.htm

Name the version you prefer, if you don't care for either of these.

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #26

Post by Wolfbitn »

Danmark wrote:
Wolfbitn wrote: [Replying to post 17 by Danmark]

So you agree then that my opening argument is verified. I dont see you refuting a single fact presented. I see you agreeing that BB doesnt qualify as a theory.

We have not even begun applying Genesis from the Hebrew for "comparison"... this will come when someone can just have the integrity to say... "yes the facts presented regarding the BB are true". Then we can continue in an orderly way... OR pick a single point or several one by one and refute them if you can... I shouldnt have to repost it for you
Please withdraw this false statement about what I said. You somehow managed to claim I wrote exactly the opposite of what I did. Perhaps that is why you don't quote me. The rules of engagement on this forum do not allow me to characterize the nature of this error of yours; but they do require you to withdraw a statement you can't support. Withdraw or support.

If you cannot refute THIS:
1) The event has never been tested and it's likely not to be tested anytime soon
2) The math cannot and does not take us to the moment of the event. Therefore the math cannot be checked.
3) This is after several colliders being built, likely easily hundreds of billions of dollars spent to find these answers, UNTOLD super-computing power, from UNTOLD numbers of computers and the worlds most brilliant mathematicians, Radio-telescope arrays, and SO many other resources being spent to FIND this answer of the moment of the event.
4) During the last decade, string is taking a lot of flack, and there have been several noted scientists who have just quit the idea in frustration.
5) Doctor Alan Guth himself (and this is one reason I have so much respect for him... his honesty) has stated that though it has failed so far, it is still a very cool idea (paraphrasing), but he did state honestly too outright that though it is a very pretty idea, the math simply does not work out. THAT is honesty from one of strings most prolific developers.
6) BB/string then OBVIOUSLY has major problems. We can simplify this logically just by observing that IF BB is ever to be found to hold water, it is obviously MISSING a factor or 2 or more. What is this factor? Everything we could have conceivably thrown at it has failed the test. NO ONE knows what is missing... but I believe I DO know what is missing.
...Then you are left with the point that to call BB a theory is exaggeration.

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Wolfbitn »

DanieltheDragon wrote:
Wolfbitn wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

I have no problem addressing your first point, Lets also see your account of Genesis's scientific validity. I promise I will address both posts in the same posts.

Done... give me a few to put this together for our study into Genesis 1.

Haven
Guru

Post #28

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Wolfbitn[/color] wrote: First of all I want to address the word "Theory".

In the scientific sense, a true "Theory" has to meet certain criteria. Some of these criteria are but not limited to:

1) Objectivity. Without Objectivity we cannot at all practice anything even resembling science. All evidence must be considered equally. Objectivity demands that we present and work with ALL facts available. Biased testing only insures a flawed outcome. Non-objective and biased testing and result and then publication is nothing more than fraud and propaganda. SCIENCE though is a beautiful thing... science is blind like justice and let the balances fall where they may.

2) Testability. A true theory has to be tested to become a theory. It is only a hypothesis if the theory has never been tested. A theory can be tested and "falsified" meaning it failed the test and thus far holds no water so it becomes a falsified theory. Finally a theory can be tested and pass the test, meaning that it could not be found to be false after testing. This must be a test that is repeatable, having the same positive results by the end of testing.
This is true, and the big bang passes these tests.

The big bang theory (BBT) has been repeatedly tested and verified, most notably by both the universe's constant expansion rate and the presence of the cosmic microwave background radiation (CMBR). Both of these things would not exist if not for a big bang, and both are predictions which were discovered after the BBT was formulated and were predicted by the BBT.

Source: http://www.pnas.org/content/95/1/29.short
[color=orange]Wolf[/color] wrote:I am a huge fan of Stephen Hawking and also a big fan of Dr. Alan Guth, Theoretical physicist and very recently formerly a professor at MIT, and a developer of a sort of "Chaotic" type of string theory. I'm sure we are aware of the brilliant careers of both these men.
Yes, absolutely. :)
[color=brown]Wolf[/color] wrote:Although I love science, and although I have great respect for great minds, I believe I also recognize when we begin reaching for straws. Now don't get me wrong. I am not an enemy of the Big Bang OR string. Like Guth I find them fascinating ideas, but they are obviously flawed.
It's not so much that the BBT is flawed (string "theory" is really more of a hypothesis -- it has yet to be empirically verified. Let's focus on the BBT for now), it's simply incomplete. You're right that we've yet to fully explain the ultimate origin of the universe or account for its state before the Planck time (an infinitesimal fraction of a microsecond; before this time gravity had not separated from the electronuclear force). This, however, does not mean that "God did it," it simply means we need to continue researching until we find the answer. To say otherwise is to commit the god-of-the-gaps logical fallacy.
[color=blue]Wolf[/color] wrote:You noted earlier that I mention string and bang in the same breath. You mention they are different theories and while, yes this is true, I think you would agree that BB (Big Bang) is incomplete and String has been an attempt to give BB it's beginning. As it is BB is not a completed theory at all. It has no beginning. What do I mean by this?
I accept this, but remember, you said Genesis 1 was more accurate, which it most certainly is not (the Earth did NOT exist before the sun, to name one obvious flaw with the myth). Where is your evidence for that?
[color=indigo]Wolf[/color] wrote:Generally speaking, a lot of the math works out pretty well for BB... it could be said fairly AMAZINGLY well... except, as we near the moment of the event, The math ceases to work out. It completely fails. It has been a very frustrating quest for many a scholar, but it simply does not work out. The popular claim is made that the math can take us back to just a FEW seconds AFTER the bang, or more properly termed sudden expansion, but then it ceases to work.
If by "a few seconds," you mean a fraction of a microsecond (the Planck time), then that is correct. Our math breaks down into a singularity at that point. More research is needed, and yes, string "theory" (which is a hypothesis, not a theory yet) is an attempt to explain the earliest states of the universe.

Once again, where does the Genesis myth come in?
[color=green]Wolf[/color] wrote:Half a century of untold resources and computing power have gone into WHY did it bang, but even with this, taking it back to the moment has never worked out mathematically or through other physical testing. The one thing BB has going for it is that some of the predictions regarding it have actually been tested and so far SOME of them hold up... But this is ONLY testing a PREDICTION... and to be objectively fair, these predictions did not need a BB to exist. There very well could be other explanations for instance for background microwave radiation.
All of the BBT's predictions have held up. All of them. I challenge you to present one example of where the BBT's predictions have failed.

[color=violet]Wolf[/color] wrote: This is why i lump string and BB as one...
This mistake is the same as lumping abiogenesis and evolution together as one. They're not the same; but separate ideas explaining related events. Just as evolution explains the diversity, not the origin, of life, the BBT explains the current state, not the origin, of the universe.
[color=blue]Wolf[/color] wrote:This puts the BB on very shaky ground when contending for the title of "Theory". It may be fairly called a well tested hypothesis, and SOME of the predictions may have certainly been tested and SOME of them have passed. But the event... no not so much as a single test and they cannot even do the math to get them there.
The BBT is indeed a theory, as it has made several accurate predictions and has stood up to every test to which it has been subjected. The same cannot be said for the string hypothesis, but again, it is entirely separate from the BBT, just as abiogenesis is entirely separate from evolution.

[color=olive]Wolf[/color] wrote:This is where it gets sticky for an Atheist's cosmology. If they simply allow an atheistic bias to keep them from factoring in "God" in a serious way, after EVERYTHING ELSE has been attempted, then they are slanting the test results. I think that it is obviously time to broaden our horizons and move aside the biases in the scientific community in this regard and GIVE IT an honest test.
God, as a supernatural being, is beyond the scope of science, which only deals with the natural world. As such, science can never prove or disprove the existence of God.

Whether or not a God is ultimately responsible for the creation of the universe (and I believe there are philosophical reasons to reject this possibility), however, the fact remains that Genesis 1 is scientifically inaccurate. The Genesis myth claims that the Earth was created before the Sun, that plants existed before the sun, that dolphins existed before dinosaurs, and that all life was created in six days, all of which we know to be false. So regardless of whether or not a God or Gods are responsible for the creation of the universe, the Genesis myth is not more scientifically accurate than the BBT.

Thanks Wolf for a thoughtful opening post.
Last edited by Haven on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #29

Post by Divine Insight »

Wolfbitn wrote: ...Then you are left with the point that to call BB a theory is exaggeration.
As far as I'm concerned the Big Bang is not a "theory". It can be viewed as either a hypothesis, or as a conclusion from current observations.

So what exactly are you even attempting to argue against? :-k

And besides, your title of this thread is wrong, "Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?"

There is no such thing as "Big Bang Cosmology". :roll:

That must be a term created by religious zealots who need to build a strawman to tear down.

Our modern cosmology is founded on observational data from the cosmos, it's not built forward from a premise of a Big Bang.

So your entire view of "Big Bang Cosmology" is a strawman view to begin with.

There is no such thing as "Big Bang Cosmology".

Here look at the first line on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

Here it is:

"The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model for the early development of the Universe"

I've also highlighted in red, "Early Development"

There is no such thing as "Big Bang Cosmology" that claims to describe the entirety of the universe.

So you are creating a strawman, and then you are going to try to set about blowing this strawman that you have created away.

But the strawman that you are creating doesn't exist. There is no such thing as "Big Bang Cosmology" that references the entire history of the universe.

You make it sound like if "Big Bang Cosmology" can be shown to be untestable of unverifiable this places all of scientific cosmology in jeopardy which is clearly false.

So you are attempting to create a strawman that doesn't even exist.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Haven
Guru

Post #30

Post by Haven »

[color=green]Divine Insight[/color] wrote: There is no such thing as "Big Bang Cosmology". :roll: That must be a term created by religious zealots who need to build a strawman to tear down.
Yes, there is, and it is a scientific term well-used in physics:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr= ... gy&f=false

http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/pr ... /1.4763417

http://arxiv.org/abs/1312.0739
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥