Money to religious schools

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

juber3
Student

Money to religious schools

Post #1

Post by juber3 »

government grants were being made to religious educational institutions ...
Do you think bush should give government grants to religious educational institutions
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he
hath chosen for his own inheritance." PSALM 33-12

"To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The
fool hath said in his heart, There is no
God..... PSALM 13-1"

perspective
Apprentice

Re: Money to religious schools

Post #11

Post by perspective »

otseng wrote:
perspective wrote: In this entire forum, there has not been presented any scientific evidence (reproducible testing) that has supported creationism.
There hasn't been any reproducible evidence supporting evolution either.
There are plenty studies that support (note: not prove, but support) evolution. See links below.
otseng wrote:
Creationism should not be taught, because my children won't be going to any school that teaches fairy tale as fact.
No, creationism should not be taught as a fact, but as a theory. As for it being a fairy tale, as long as there's scientific evidence for it, there's no reason why it should not be taught.
There are researchable remains that show evolution does occur. There are small scale experiments that show evolution does occur. Anyone who would like to verify the information for his or herself can conduct scientific experiments on the evidence and reach a conclusion. Now, creationism relies on a theory that is only propagated by bad history research. We are taught in 7th grade about primary and secondary sources in regards to researching history. The bible is neither a primary nor a secondary source. It's much further removed. Offering scripture as evidence is not only contrary to the way we teach our students, it's bad policy for the exact same reason that we teach our students not to use sources that are too far removed from the history they are reporting. There's nothing verifiable to offer as support, even on a small scale, for creationism. If you can provide otherwise, I'd love to peruse the data.

Travis
Student

Post #12

Post by Travis »

Do you think bush should give government grants to religious educational institutions?
Absolutely not!

There is no such thing as a free lunch...especially so when the government is involved. With the money comes the regulation, and I don't like it when the feds tell me what I can and can not do with the assets my Church or Mosque has.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

This is violating both in my eyes.

otseng
Savant

Post #13

Post by otseng »

perspective wrote:
otseng wrote:
perspective wrote: In this entire forum, there has not been presented any scientific evidence (reproducible testing) that has supported creationism.
There are plenty studies that support (note: not prove, but support) evolution. See links below.
I acknowledge that there are evidence supporting evolution. However, I thought you were talking about "reproducible testing" to support these theories. Neither evolutionism nor creationism can "reproduce" what has happened already.
The bible is neither a primary nor a secondary source.
Actually, very little of the Bible is used in any of the C vs E threads.
There's nothing verifiable to offer as support, even on a small scale, for creationism. If you can provide otherwise, I'd love to peruse the data.
The thread Creationism vs Evolutionism gives some of my arguments for Creationism.

perspective
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by perspective »

otseng wrote:
perspective wrote:
otseng wrote:
I acknowledge that there are evidence supporting evolution. However, I thought you were talking about "reproducible testing" to support these theories. Neither evolutionism nor creationism can "reproduce" what has happened already.
Actually, evolution CAN be reproduced on a scale that humans with our limited life span can study. On the small scale - it already has been reproduced. You can refer to the link on lizard evolution in the post above. Of course on the large scale we cannot observe evolution because we can't live long enough. That doesn't mean that the theory isn't supported on the small scale, and that studies/theories of how that relates to the large scale are inaccurate. In no way can creationism be observed on any scale.

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

I don't want to belabor the point and diverge too much. We can continue on about creationism and evolution in the C vs E threads.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #16

Post by Angry McFurious »

otseng wrote:I don't think the government should give grants to anyone.
military or medical grants? Si? No? lol I pretty much agree
:dance: ~Jews Rock~ :dance:

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by ST88 »

juber3 wrote:Do you think bush should give government grants to religious educational institutions
"Should the government help fund religious institutions?"
No.

"Should the government issue funds to help religious instruction?"
No.

"Should the government get involved in religion in any way?"
No.

"Should the government make grant funds available for religious institutions to provide instruction?"
Yes.

The government should be religion-blind when it comes to making grants available for educational purposes. By grants, I mean money for specific educational purposes that meet the test prescribed by the purpose of government. These grants should be available to all educational institutions regardless of religion, whether it's a for-profit group or a non-profit charity or a government-backed public school.