Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #1

Post by Murad »

28 million Gods

Thats a rough estimate on how many hindu Gods were created since the dawn of hinduism.

My questions to shubhamgarg1993 & any other hindu's is simple.

1) How can you possibly believe in 28 million Gods. If you dont, does that make you more or less of a hindu?
2) Are they not all images drawn by man? Like Zeus & Thor etc...
3) What logic is there to hinduism that non-hindu's do not understand.

If you could reply with text written personally it would be appreciated.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #11

Post by Wyvern »

Murad wrote:
EduChris wrote:
Murad wrote:..."Sex with daughters in law"
Where are you getting this?...
http://muhammadanism.org/Muhammad/Muham ... hterIL.htm
Its not suprising, where you get your sources.

The Zainab your talking about was married to her maternal cousin Abu al-Aas ibn al-Rabiah prior to his conversion to Islam, she became the mother of two children: Ali and Umamah.

There is a difference between:
Zainab bint Muhammad
and
Zaynab bint Khuzayma

Do your research, and i suggest you look at Islamic sources that are not biased.
I don't know the sura itself seems pretty clear in that it condones having relations with the wife of ones son. This also falls in line with a trend, if Mohammed lusts after a female but it is against his societies rules he suddenly has a revelation from god that tells him it's okay to do what he wants, it happened in this case and also with regards to Aisha.

Wyvern
Under Probation

Re: Why does Hinduism worship 28 million Gods?

Post #12

Post by Wyvern »

Murad wrote:
Wyvern wrote: One god or 28million gods I don't see one as being any less ridiculous than the other.
Thats open for debate, but the system of revelation in the abrahamic religions were from prophets that all claimed to be chosen by the "God of Israel" and they were given the ability to perform miracles.

Hinduism on the other hand is just 28million Gods, each different from another.
So basically your complaint here is that hinduism has too many gods? You are obviously trying to belittle Hinduism while trying to portray the abrahamic religions to be somehow superior. If having fewer gods is somehow a preferred feature of a religion then why aren't you Buddhist? They have even less gods than your religion and does not rely on some claim by a man that they were chosen by some insubstantial god. Each of the Hindu gods represent some aspect of the world just as each of the names of Allah represent one of the aspects of the islamic god.

Wyvern wrote: After all India was controlled by muslims for hundreds of years and yet Hinduism is still the majority religion.
Great, you should quote this to the people on this forum that insists Islam is 'believe or die'
Oh don't get me wrong millions of Indians were killed for not converting to islam during their reign

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by Wyvern »

Also Dr Zakir Naik is a very noble scholar, he has more knowledge about the Abrahamic religions and hinduism than you will ever grasp in 10 lifetimes.
He has memorized the Vedas, Quran, and Bible, if knowledge is "mental"(thats what you called him), then indeed he is mental.
Dr. Naik is a non practicing medical doctor not a doctor of divinity or other related subject. It should also be noted that he has had literally dozens of fatwas issued against him from various islamic bodies, some have even called for him to be excommunicated. Dr. Naik is charismatic and a good orator which is one of the reasons why he only debates in person in front of an audience. Another reason is money, one case I read had Naiks representative tell another person that he would not even think about debating someone unless it was in front of an audience of at least ten thousand.

Murad
Guru

Post #14

Post by Murad »

Hi Wyvern

I wont reply to your first post, i dont see how i can be apologetic to biased opinions.

Wyvern wrote: So basically your complaint here is that hinduism has too many gods?
Nope, i cant differentiate Hindu Gods from the other Gods that have pictures etc..

Wyvern wrote: You are obviously trying to belittle Hinduism while trying to portray the abrahamic religions to be somehow superior. If having fewer gods is somehow a preferred feature of a religion then why aren't you Buddhist?
First of all, every religion see's itself as the "Truth" or "Superior" so i am not creating a world precedent.
Secondly, it has nothing to do with the "number" of Gods. Its 'what' the Gods are and 'how' they came into existence. I would simply like 'shubhamgarg1993' to educate me about Hinduism without his hateful comments towards Islam. (which i did not incite)
Wyvern wrote: Each of the Hindu gods represent some aspect of the world just as each of the names of Allah represent one of the aspects of the islamic god.
Great, this is a perspective i didn't think of, and if this is true(according to hindu theology) you have just taught me something new :)
Wyvern wrote: Oh don't get me wrong millions of Indians were killed for not converting to islam during their reign
Please provide verifable evidence about those people killed. My knowledge about the history of India or Pakistan isnt too great.

Wyvern wrote: Dr. Naik is a non practicing medical doctor not a doctor of divinity or other related subject. It should also be noted that he has had literally dozens of fatwas issued against him from various islamic bodies, some have even called for him to be excommunicated.
Dont get me wrong, i don't "revere" him, i simply have respect for a man with knowledge. And i find it wrong for a person to call him "mental" just because he preaches his beliefs.

I vigorously disagree with some of his comments regarding Yazid 1 and i know he sparked enourmous anger within the muslim world.
Wyvern wrote: Dr. Naik is charismatic and a good orator which is one of the reasons why he only debates in person in front of an audience.
Well he has numerous positive characteristics that helped him become who he is. Also he apparently got his inspiration from Ahmed Deedat, one of the greatest comparitive religion Scholars in my opinion.

But in all honesty, i do find Naik's knowledge on comparitive religion to be extrodinary.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Wyvern
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by Wyvern »

Wyvern wrote: So basically your complaint here is that hinduism has too many gods?
Nope, i cant differentiate Hindu Gods from the other Gods that have pictures etc..
I would think that the pictures would help not hinder differentiating between the various gods. If you saw a picture of Thor and one of Shiva I don't think there is any way you could mistake one for the other.
Wyvern wrote: You are obviously trying to belittle Hinduism while trying to portray the abrahamic religions to be somehow superior. If having fewer gods is somehow a preferred feature of a religion then why aren't you Buddhist?
First of all, every religion see's itself as the "Truth" or "Superior" so i am not creating a world precedent.
Secondly, it has nothing to do with the "number" of Gods. Its 'what' the Gods are and 'how' they came into existence. I would simply like 'shubhamgarg1993' to educate me about Hinduism without his hateful comments towards Islam. (which i did not incite)
Actually your belittleing comments about Hinduism very well may have sparked his comments about Islam.
Wyvern wrote: Oh don't get me wrong millions of Indians were killed for not converting to islam during their reign
Please provide verifable evidence about those people killed. My knowledge about the history of India or Pakistan isnt too great.
Here's a little snippet from Wikipedia:
The Muslim conquest of the Indian subcontinent led to widespread carnage because Muslims regarded the Hindus as infidels and therefore slaughtered and converted millions of Hindus. Will Durant argued in his 1935 book "The Story of Civilization: Our Oriental Heritage" (page 459):

“ The Mohammedan conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. The Islamic historians and scholars have recorded with great glee and pride the slaughters of Hindus, forced conversions, abduction of Hindu women and children to slave markets and the destruction of temples carried out by the warriors of Islam during 800 AD to 1700 AD. Millions of Hindus were converted to Islam by sword during this period. �

There is no official estimate of the total death toll of Hindus at the hands of Muslims.

As Braudel put it: "The levies it had to pay were so crushing that one catastrophic harvest was enough to unleash famines and epidemics capable of killing a million people at a time. Appalling poverty was the constant counterpart of the conquerors' opulence."

The backward castes of Hinduism suffered worst. Monarchs (belonging to backward castes) such as Khusrau Bhangi Khan, Hemchandra and Garha-Katanga were knocked off their throne and executed. Backward caste saints like Namadeva[1] were arrested, while women like Kanhopatra were forced to commit suicide. Ghisadis have an “Urdu� title.[2]

Prof. K.S. Lal, suggests a calculation in his book Growth of Muslim Population in Medieval India which estimates that between the years 1000 AD and 1500 AD the population of Hindus decreased by 80 million.

If you need more information I'm sure I can provide it.

Murad
Guru

Post #16

Post by Murad »

Wyvern wrote: Actually your belittleing comments about Hinduism very well may have sparked his comments about Islam.
My belittleing comments? What did i say?
Wyvern wrote: Here's a little snippet from Wikipedia:
Very informative read, if you can pm me the link it would be appreciated.

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:
Wyvern wrote: Here's a little snippet from Wikipedia:
Very informative read, if you can pm me the link it would be appreciated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecution_of_Hindus

shubhamgarg1993
Student

my reply ::

Post #18

Post by shubhamgarg1993 »

to MURAD.. friend i did not mean at harming your emotions but let me tell that that was not the only verse i found ... and neither i need to as you see net is full of quarnic
verses which just show something which is not acceptable in society at all..and maybe they are also not all true and there's always possibility of some misinterpretations of text.

i never say that quran at a whole has nothing, it is a good book if read with discrition..
means some parts of quran are obviously worth revolting.

nevertheless i have not having any mind to have a debate on the topic i would continue telling about hinduism only and won't go in debates by dragging other religions in.

and about the Dr. Naik... my views regarding him won't change for he is highly notorious for changing verses of vedas and quaran too to suit his needs..

for eg.. recently he changed description of a verse of quran as that::

there was a verse which had description in all islamic books that "sky is vast"
but recenlty mr. Smart changed the word "vast" with "expand" and is yelling out that Quran points at "expanding of universe.
"

then see another

he took up a verse in Vedas (hindu literature) where a
sage says to a king that "your decision should be as firm as mountain."(just using as a metaphor).

now Zakir takes that up and to prove vedas are unscientific says "firm as mountain" means it says earth is firm as mountain..or firm with mountains..
while vedas clearly says what i write below..

RIGVEDA 10.22.14

This earth is devoid of hands and legs, yet it moves ahead. All the objects over the earth also move with it. It moves around the sun.

YOU CAN SEE THIS VERSE IN THE ONLINE VEDAS
also word by word meaning is...

Kshaa = Earth (refer Nigantu 1.1)
Ahastaa = without hands
Apadee = without legs
Vardhat = moves ahead
Shushnam Pari = Around the sun
Pradakshinit = revolves

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by EduChris »

Murad wrote:...Do your research, and i suggest you look at Islamic sources that are not biased.
Are you claiming that Mohammad never had sex with a woman who had been married to Mohammad's adopted son?

If that is your claim, then you are in the minority. Most Muslims accept this fact beyond question.

And if that is not your claim, then you are dissembling again.

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #20

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Murad wrote:If you could reply with text written personally it would be appreciated.
Interesting request…
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه