Bus Boycott Because of Atheist Advertisement

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Would you join the boycott if this were to happen in your area?

Yes, because I am christian and it offends me
4%
No, because I do not believe in a god
12%
No, because it is their right to advertise what they wish
85%

Total votes: 26

mav2097
Student

Bus Boycott Because of Atheist Advertisement

Post #1

Post by mav2097 »

While watching the news last night there was a story about a sign being posted on 4 local buses. The sign says this:
"Millions of American are GOOD WITHOUT GOD"

The whole story can be found here:
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2010/12/02/bus- ... thout-god/

As a nonbeliever, I have no qualms with this but some christian leaders in the area have decided to boycott the buses until the signs are removed. They have compared it to the Birmingham, AL boycott during the 60's(?).

My question is to christians:
Is it right for christian leaders to boycott these busses because of the advertisement? If so, why?

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Goat »

mormon boy51 wrote: No, I am a theist and I dont believe atheism to be immoral at all. There are many theists who dont hold that view while a lot of them, probably fundamentalists, do hold the view.
When it comes to theists, particularly in the Southern states, I am sure you can find Christians who think that being Catholic is immoral, or Muslim, Jewish or even Mormon.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Kuan »

Goat wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote: No, I am a theist and I dont believe atheism to be immoral at all. There are many theists who dont hold that view while a lot of them, probably fundamentalists, do hold the view.
When it comes to theists, particularly in the Southern states, I am sure you can find Christians who think that being Catholic is immoral, or Muslim, Jewish or even Mormon.
I am sure that there are many of any religion who find it to be immoral but there are many who dont think it is immoral.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

RDCH
Student

Post #13

Post by RDCH »

mormon boy51 wrote:
RDCH wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
RDCH wrote: I think in the first place, that this way of spreading atheism is kind of provoking.
These bus ads are not attempts to spread atheism. What they are attempting to do is to improve the acceptance of atheists. We exist, we have existed, we are good people, you probably know some of us, we don't sacrifice kittens, you might even be one. And it is OK. Really.
Hmm yes, I am an atheist. And freedom of speech means technically anyone can express his or her opinions, but that does not exclude that some might be inappropriate. Would you be fine with it if - suppose a Pedophile sect would exist - they put signs of "Pedophiles are good people. You shouldn't consider us outcasts because of our sexual preferences." After all, pedophiles are totally normal, they just have a different sexual preference (children).
Because its against the law.

Better example I think is the BGLT community..
Ok, but suppose some conservative guy succeeds at introducing a law that atheism is forbidden by law? Of course this won't happen (I mean, I really hope it doesn't). I totally agree with you guys, but I'm just trying to imagine a reasonable reason for which Christians would be offended by this ad.

PS: Reason I didn't pick the BGLT is because I didn't know it (but thanks for mentioning it, now I do)
mormon boy51 wrote:
RDCH wrote:I would have a problem with it because it sounds immoral to me. Atheism looks immoral to theists too...

On the other hand, I just can't grasp it that America so violently excludes atheists, or as Bush Senior would put it " Atheists are not American citizens".
That situation is unimaginable for me, and perhaps that explains why I think it is inappropriate, because in Belgium this was never done.
No, I am a theist and I dont believe atheism to be immoral at all. There are many theists who dont hold that view while a lot of them, probably fundamentalists, do hold the view.
Of course, I tend to generalize a bit too much. I was pointing at the more radical ones.

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #14

Post by fewwillfindit »

I voted, "No, because it is their right to advertise what they wish."

I'm not big on Christians legislating Christianity or manipulating it in the public square.

RCDH wrote:I would have a problem with it because it sounds immoral to me. Atheism looks immoral to theists too...
I do not see Atheists as being labeled immoral just because they are Atheists. Morality speaks of actions, not beliefs.
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

RDCH
Student

Post #15

Post by RDCH »

fewwillfindit wrote:I voted, "No, because it is their right to advertise what they wish."

I'm not big on Christians legislating Christianity or manipulating it in the public square.

RCDH wrote:I would have a problem with it because it sounds immoral to me. Atheism looks immoral to theists too...
I do not see Atheists as being labeled immoral just because they are Atheists. Morality speaks of actions, not beliefs.
Though some fundamentalist christians do relate atheism to immorality...

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Kuan »

RDCH wrote:
mormon boy51 wrote:
RDCH wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
RDCH wrote: I think in the first place, that this way of spreading atheism is kind of provoking.
These bus ads are not attempts to spread atheism. What they are attempting to do is to improve the acceptance of atheists. We exist, we have existed, we are good people, you probably know some of us, we don't sacrifice kittens, you might even be one. And it is OK. Really.
Hmm yes, I am an atheist. And freedom of speech means technically anyone can express his or her opinions, but that does not exclude that some might be inappropriate. Would you be fine with it if - suppose a Pedophile sect would exist - they put signs of "Pedophiles are good people. You shouldn't consider us outcasts because of our sexual preferences." After all, pedophiles are totally normal, they just have a different sexual preference (children).
Because its against the law.

Better example I think is the BGLT community..
Ok, but suppose some conservative guy succeeds at introducing a law that atheism is forbidden by law? Of course this won't happen (I mean, I really hope it doesn't). I totally agree with you guys, but I'm just trying to imagine a reasonable reason for which Christians would be offended by this ad.

PS: Reason I didn't pick the BGLT is because I didn't know it (but thanks for mentioning it, now I do)
It is subjective, but it is based upon what most will agree to be "morally" right. The only reason I can think christians can be offended is because its about the first time their beliefs have been challenged.
mormon boy51 wrote:
RDCH wrote:I would have a problem with it because it sounds immoral to me. Atheism looks immoral to theists too...

On the other hand, I just can't grasp it that America so violently excludes atheists, or as Bush Senior would put it " Atheists are not American citizens".
That situation is unimaginable for me, and perhaps that explains why I think it is inappropriate, because in Belgium this was never done.
No, I am a theist and I dont believe atheism to be immoral at all. There are many theists who dont hold that view while a lot of them, probably fundamentalists, do hold the view.
Of course, I tend to generalize a bit too much. I was pointing at the more radical ones.
I generalize to sometimes, but if you do on this forum people will be quick to point it out. ;)
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

RDCH
Student

Post #17

Post by RDCH »

@ mormon boy51,

I noticed. *wink* I'll try not to generalize in the future.

Btw, very to the point, your comment about the reason why they'd be offended :)

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #18

Post by fewwillfindit »

RDCH wrote:
fewwillfindit wrote:I voted, "No, because it is their right to advertise what they wish."

Though some fundamentalist christians do relate atheism to immorality...
Which is precisely why I said, "I do not see..."
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Kuan »

RDCH wrote:@ mormon boy51,

I noticed. *wink* I'll try not to generalize in the future.

Btw, very to the point, your comment about the reason why they'd be offended :)
No point in beating around the bush, say the truth dont smear the truth.
- Voltaire

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by McCulloch »

RDCH wrote: Ok, but suppose some conservative guy succeeds at introducing a law that atheism is forbidden by law?
Such a law would be struck down as being unconstitutional.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John