Swear Words

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Swear Words

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
But does that really apply to other swear words that are not religiously related?

Aren't these words foul only because we make them that way? Most of them refer to words that we say all the time and have the same meaning.

This might not interest many but it is a problem in my community. I dont listen to edited songs mostly because the way they edit it bothers me. I have been told many times that I am going to hell because my songs are not edited and that I am breaking the 3rd commandment, ect.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Slopeshoulder »

Well, on the one hand, many swear words refer to bodily functions and parts and are classified as impolite or verboten because of a self-hating radical dualism (fear of the flesh and all that) inheritetd from both puritans and victorians.

But on the other hand, if we do associate them with nasty stuff, then as others have said, keeping it on the up and up is a part of sanctification, respect, taking the high road, and creating good.
Fark moi, I'm gonna have to get my act together (having slipped in recent years).

Shermana
Prodigy

Re: Swear Words

Post #12

Post by Shermana »

mormon boy51 wrote:Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
But does that really apply to other swear words that are not religiously related?

Aren't these words foul only because we make them that way? Most of them refer to words that we say all the time and have the same meaning.

This might not interest many but it is a problem in my community. I dont listen to edited songs mostly because the way they edit it bothers me. I have been told many times that I am going to hell because my songs are not edited and that I am breaking the 3rd commandment, ect.
The Book of Sirach clearly says that those who use foul language will "never become disciplined", (Note: Sirach is even called Scripture by the TALMUD so any Protestant reasoning why it should be discluded based on Jewish disclusion should note that.)

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Choir Loft »

mormon boy51 wrote:Many Christians don't approve of foul language, most invoke the 3rd commandment:

Swearing will not earn you a ticket to hell.

It won't buy you any favors with the Almighty either.

Laura70
Student

Post #14

Post by Laura70 »

I personally think that swearing is only bad by its connotation, but by the words itself, I don't think so. Our society only labeled it as "bad".

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Choir Loft »

Laura70 wrote:I personally think that swearing is only bad by its connotation, but by the words itself, I don't think so. Our society only labeled it as "bad".
I think you've hit the nail on the head, so to speak.
The 'badness' of a word or phrase is meant to shock, insult, infuriate, or to express pain and frustration. Such useage is implicitly social.

For example, in England 'knocked up' means that someone is beating on your front door. In America, it's a physical term for pregnancy. Although not really a swear word, the useage is entirely cultural and a good example of your post.

Swear words do not necessarily extrapolate to blaspheme, especially when so few understand the meaning of this ancient Hebrew term. When used in the context of involking the response of a diety it is limited to the Judeo-Christian culture. The "F" word is not blaspheme, while G**D**n is.

Does blaspheme have any power or meaning other than it's cultural impact? That's a subject for real debate. Does one ever hear blaspheme of a mythical diety? Does one ever hear, for example, the phrase "JupiterDamn" or "Ares"(*) when one smashes one's finger with a hammer?

The idea that blaspheme can involk metaphysical reaction in the physical world is purely cultural as is the words and phrases that are just plain "dirty".

(*) Greek god of war or violence.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by McCulloch »

There are two completely different issues here which get mixed together, but, in my mind are separate.

One is showing disrespect for your own or someone else's religion by invoking holy words without proper reverence or intent. This is the point of the third commandment. To me, such behavior is highly insensitive and always inappropriate.

The other, unrelated issue is foul language; potty mouth. This is culturally relative. Words or expressions which would have been unacceptable to the Victorian English upper class are now quite acceptable in common discourse. Here I think that intent not just the words themselves is important.

When Alanis Morrissette uses the F word in You Oughta Know, it is not there for shock or to insult, but to express the feelings of someone who has been jilted. In context, no other word would do, "Are you thinking of me when you fuck her?"

But to answer your question, this has no relation to the third commandment. It may, however, relate to Christian teachings regarding social propriety.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Ragna
Guru

Post #17

Post by Ragna »

Commenting linguistically, what now is perceived as bad language is revealing of a society's attitudes due to its semantic evolution. I.e., it's a kind of fossil to tell you about that particular society's values. It's incredibly common for words having to do with sex, prostitution and genitals to become insults and swearwords - and this might have had a religious part for seeing sex as a sin, though I'm sure it's not the only factor - others being the impurity associated with prostitution, which is not only religious.

For example, in Latin futuo meant having sex with prostitutes and it gives Spanish interjection joder (which means "fuck!" or "shit!").

Other insults can have to do with minorities - homosexual, racist insults, etc.

As with any part of speech, they're appropriate when they are appropriate, no more and no less. Like for any word, it's an arbitrary convention of phonemes, so the intention is what counts and not the sounds. There's nothing insulting in f, u or k. It's the context and the intention that gives it meaning and consequences. A religion has to take into account that it's common to get angry and express like that, and solving the problem should be enough in my opinion. (There would be no need to "wash" the mouth - simply realize that a state of peace is preferable over one of anger.)

Flail

Post #18

Post by Flail »

fewwillfindit wrote:
I think that to take the name of the Lord in vain is to take His name upon yourself frivolously, or as cnorman18 said in this post, it means to not carry the name of the Lord in vain. I think that to limit it to cussing is to greatly minimize the gravity of the third commandment.
Agreed. The Third Commandment has to do with using God for one's own vanity, ie, power and profit, and not with swearing.( unless of course one is so arrogant that he things asking God to damn something will get God to act). When I see a sign indicating "Christian owned business" or a mega church on the street corner, or the Pope's motorcade, these to me are violations of the Third Commandment.

bro
Student

Post #19

Post by bro »

my two cents on swearing. hope it helps.

to start off a swear word is defined by society. while words that blaspheme transcend that. imo to blaspheme i.e. god damn is a sin. cussing. as with most gray areas in the bible is all about intent. to say the word itself means nothing. to do it with the intent of hurting someone would be a sin. as to music, why care? you are just enjoying it. thats akin to worrying that you sin because the person next to you cusses.

Oldfarmhouse
Apprentice

Post #20

Post by Oldfarmhouse »

I agree with George Carlin on this. The words themselves are not at all the issue. It is the intention behind the words that make words offensive. Your friend might call you all sorts of vulgar names in jest and you would not get offended. Although someone might "compliment" your hat in such a way that you find it very offensive.

It's really hard to say what, exactly, the original intent was behind the third commandment was. I have read numerous interpretations of it and it amounts to a rather diverse range of ideas.

One that makes sense to me is the idea that using the name of the Lord ought to be done with reverence and respect for one who is a believer. Addressing the name of the almighty in a way that trivializes the deity is offensive to those who regard the entity as sacred.

But -- words are just words and I have no superstitions about any of them.