December 21, 2012

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

lastcallhall
Sage

December 21, 2012

Post #1

Post by lastcallhall »

There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

1. Are you worried about this date?

2. What do you think will happen on this date? If you think something is going to happen what and can we prevent it?
All the powers of darkness can't drown out a single word

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: December 21, 2012

Post #11

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

lastcallhall wrote:There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

2. What do you think will happen on this date? If you think something is going to happen what and can we prevent it?
Nothing extraordinary will happen except that some Mayans - if there are any around - will have a big party. It is simply the end of a b'ak'tun and the start of a new one. This happens about every 394 years. Did the world end on September 18, 1618?

The right hand chart in this link shows that there are a number of b'ak'tun to go in the current cycle, after which the calendar goes to another level.
Last edited by ThatGirlAgain on Tue May 15, 2012 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Post #12

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

Coming from an occult perspective...I think that we may be entering into a new Aeon. Basically the way people think will change dramatically as we enter this new time period.

They might have had some crazy religious practices, but the Mayans may have known more than we currently do.

Our society tends to think that we can know everything, but we can't (at least not yet).

Maybe we should take the knowledge of past prophets/occultists. As long as we don't put too much belief in this knowledge, but instead test it. We may find that they knew much more than we ever expected.

Although on the flip side, they could be completely wrong. I don't care either way though, I'm just presenting possibilities. Nothing more, nothing less.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Choir Loft »

lastcallhall wrote:There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

Internationally, events in the middle east may begin to reach a crescendo with a complete change in the course of history unfolding.

Current indications are that the US, UK, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Israel will intervene in one fashion or another to make Syria a vassal state of the Western powers. All those present have their separate initiatives for conquest of the small nation, but the real reason is to secure a dry land supply route from the Mediterranean through Syria and Iraq to the western border of Iran.

The ultimate purpose for all the posturing we've been watching since 2011 has been the invasion of Iran. That may begin sometime in 2013. The event that will turn the tide of current events there is that the US led attack will lose and lose badly. It will be a campaign reminiscent of the US invasion of North Korea and the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.

December 21st or thereabouts may be the last season of relative domestic peace America will see for a while. Indicators and projections for the economy, military, and political future all point to severe changes. I'm not talking about reading tea leaves, Mayan monoliths, or declarations of Astrologers. There are some very real signs out there and none of them look good.

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

Molly
Student

Post #14

Post by Molly »

I don't think anything will happen. Like ThatGirlAgain said, it's just the end of a cycle on their calendar.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Molly wrote:I don't think anything will happen. Like ThatGirlAgain said, it's just the end of a cycle on their calendar.
Since Dec 21 2012 is a Friday and Christmas is the next Tuesday, it will probably be the kickoff for the mother of all long holiday weekend parties. And not just for Mayans. :D
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

Ionian_Tradition
Sage

Post #16

Post by Ionian_Tradition »

1. Not in the slightest.

2. I suppose I'll be playing Skyrim while enjoying a tall glass of Mead...Tis the season after all. :)

Haven

Post #17

Post by Haven »

It's superstition, nothing more. I'll be posting here about how nothing happened.

Choir Loft
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Choir Loft »

lastcallhall wrote: There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

That date is my wife's birthday. Should I buy her a present and plan a nice celebration complete with dinner and entertainment and guests -or- should I not?

Should I celebrate my happiness in my wife's life and wonderful contributions to the community (and wish for more), or should I hide in a dark corner and cover my head?

One thing is for sure. Jesus will not return on December 21st. I'd put money on that. In fact, I'd like to invite any takers on a bet. $5,000 says that Dec. 22nd will dawn just fine and dandy.

What do you say? Put you money where your mouth is, or is all this a subject for fear mongers, novelists and movie producers to cash in on?

but that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
R.I.P. AMERICAN REPUBLIC
[June 21, 1788 - October 26, 2001]

- Here lies Liberty -
Born in the spring,
died in the fall.
Stabbed in the back,
forsaken by all.

NVIIIX1
Apprentice

Post #19

Post by NVIIIX1 »

lastcallhall wrote: There is a lot of talk about December 21, 2012 and the end of the mayan calender. Some people think the world will come to end end or something really big is going to happen. I want people to answer who do not believe the Bible that Jesus will return and the world will not end. So I have two questions

I will be on an airplane flying over the Atlantic Ocean that entire day. It's a pretty big deal. I have no thoughts about the end of the mayan calender.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by connermt »

1) It doesn't matter if I am or not simply because worry won't stop 12/12/12 from coming
2) The sun will rise and set most likely, blah blah blah. Other than that, if anything "major" happens it probably won't be the end of the world (though no one knows for sure), though the Mayans saw it as a re-set of sorts so something might happen that will change our understanding of things.
Maybe