How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

trencacloscas
Sage

How did you find out that Christianity was just bull manure?

Post #1

Post by trencacloscas »

This is a question topic applied only to atheists/agnostics in general and former Christians specially.

When and how did you reach the conclusion that Christianity doesn't bear anything sacred or true? I agree with that writer who said "abandoning God and religion was my most priced spiritual adventure". So, how was your personal path to deconversion? What made you suspect it was all fake? How did you cop out with it?

Just for the sake of exchanging vital experiences.. :|
Last edited by trencacloscas on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sor Eucharist: I need to talk with you, Dr. House. Sister Augustine believes in things that aren’t real.
Dr. Gregory House: I thought that was a job requirement for you people.

(HOUSE MD. Season 1 Episode 5)

Rob
Scholar

One Good Whiff of the Atonement Doctrine Did it For Me

Post #11

Post by Rob »

Columbus wrote:It was when I was in grade school. A sweet old Catholic nun tried to explain to the class that 1+1+1=1, under certain faith based circumstances. I was not, however, allowed to use faith to improve my math homework scores. And I was still sinful, even though Jesus had died for my sins and I was only 7 or 8. I came to the conclusion that she was making all this up. Finding out that other grown ups also believed this made me realize the limitations of the human situation. My really smart Dad and really wise Mom actually believed this nonsense. I still believed in them, but not their religion.

Fortunately we were Catholics. No-one ever asked me what I believed. They only asked me what I had been taught to say. I had no trouble acing tests as long as the quesion was "What are you assumed to believe?"

Tom
Very interesting. 1+1+1=1, under certain faith based circumstances? It is hard to imagine that such was taught, but there it is. My wife and I just finished watching a program about the Catholic Church in Ireland and what they (the sisters of Mary Magdalene) used to do to unwed mothers. They were sent to this place by their families and basically used as slave labor by a bunch of sadomasochist nuns and sexual predator priests. The young girls sent there sometimes were just suspected of losing their virginity, or they were actually raped, and then sent their as punishment for having been raped. It was really sick.

I grew up in a agnostic/atheist home. So my spiritual path was pretty much free and open to explore whatever drew my interest. One of the first things that smelled funny to me about the doctrines of Christianity was the whole “Jesus had died for my sins” and “Marinated on the Cross” thing. I understand how this may have made sense to 1st century Jewish person, but to teach or hold such nonsense today is silly and childish. One whiff of that and I knew at an early age someone was trying to pass off bull manure for brownies.

Sender
Sage

Post #12

Post by Sender »

Clearly rob you are not Christian, so why do you claim to be?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by McCulloch »

Moderator Intervention
Sender wrote:Clearly rob you are not Christian, so why do you claim to be?
Sender, please re-read the rules.
1. No personal attacks of any sort are allowed.
4. Stay on the topic of debate. If a topic brings up another issue, start another thread.
5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not make blanket statements that are not supportable by logic/evidence.
7. Do not post frivolous, flame bait, or inflammatory messages.
9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates (Do not simply say "Ditto" or "I disagree" in a post. Such posts add little value to debates).
14. In general, all members are to be civil and respectful.

This post appears to be a personal attack. It is not relevant to the topic of debate. If you are interested in Rob's alleged Christianity, you may use the Questions for ... forum. The assertion that Rob is not a Christian is not supported by evidence (nor for that matter an agreed upon definition of Christian). The post could easily be taken as inflammatory. It is certainly a one liner and arguably adds little value to the debate.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Sender
Sage

Post #14

Post by Sender »

rob wrote:One of the first things that smelled funny to me about the doctrines of Christianity was the whole “Jesus had died for my sins” and “Marinated on the Cross”
You think that is Christian? That is not a pointed one liner meant to sting. It is a question. He mocks the Cross yet says he is a Christian. NOT!!!

It my be OT, but its not meant to be inflamatory. This is Christianity 101. You can know if someone is a Christian by what they believe. Thats not judging, that just knowing what the bible says.

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #15

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Thats not judging, that just knowing what the bible says.
No, it's judging by your interpretation of the Bible. Which, let's not forget, is no more valid than anyone elses.

It would be arrogant to claim so.

Sender
Sage

Post #16

Post by Sender »

The Persnickety Platypus wrote:
Thats not judging, that just knowing what the bible says.
No, it's judging by your interpretation of the Bible. Which, let's not forget, is no more valid than anyone elses.

It would be arrogant to claim so.
That is even a more uneducated comment. Obviously you don't know the bible either. You think Gods plan of salvation is a million diferent ways if a million diferent people read it? No! Its one way, the same way for everyone.

And that is going through the Cross and acepting Jesus as Lord. If you could by pass the Cross, the bible says Chris would have died needlessly.

You guys are TERRIBLE. You guys not only make a mockery of his creation, but now you are mocking his death and ressurection. You guys are gonna fry in hell son unless you change your way and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior..

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #17

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

Sender, even if you do not agree with the mods, it might be a good idea to humor them. Seeing as, you know, they kind of control your future on this site? You have been in hot water for a while.

Your "unity with Christ" does not give you a free ride. Even "saints" must obey the rules on this site (esspecially those dictated in the Bible).

"Pride goeth before a fall."

Arrogant. Having or showing feelings of unwarranted importance out of overbearing pride. i.e, asserting opinon as fact.

Rom 12:16
Live in harmony with each other. Don't be arrogant, but be friendly to humble people. Don't think that you are smarter than you really are.
That is even a more uneducated comment. Obviously you don't know the bible either.
Which would explain why I have read it every night for the past decade, cover to cover?

If you know the Bible so well, you might bother to actually abide by it's teachings before going and declaring yourself one of God's holy angel messengers.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Cathar1950 »

That is even a more uneducated comment. Obviously you don't know the bible either. You think Gods plan of salvation is a million diferent ways if a million diferent people read it? No! Its one way, the same way for everyone.
Your projecting. There sure are a lot of bible based one ways.
And that is going through the Cross and acepting Jesus as Lord. If you could by pass the Cross, the bible says Chris would have died needlessly.

Paul said that and he may have been wrong or right maybe he did die needlessly. Or maybe like many others he was killed by Romans for political reasons. Dah?
You guys are TERRIBLE. You guys not only make a mockery of his creation, but now you are mocking his death and ressurection. You guys are gonna fry in hell son unless you change your way and ask Jesus to be your Lord and Savior..
I thought only blasphemy against the Holy wind was unforgivable. By the way I don't think Jesus actually said that. It was most likely another church invention by the writers of the NT gospels. Who is chris?

Sender
Sage

Post #19

Post by Sender »

Its always the come back someone will say when a Christian points out an error, they are immediately called arrogant or judgemental, when all we are doing is telling you honestly what the bible says.

You also misquote Pr 16:18 like so many people have who claim to know the bible. Pride comes before destruction, a haughty spirit comes before a fall.

Thats what you guys have, a haughty spirit, yet you are twisting it making it sound like I do (misquoting scripture along the way), when I say this out of concern.

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #20

Post by Cathar1950 »

Let see you call people uneducated and ignorant because there is only one way and it is your way. Thanks for the concern.