Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Masterblaster
Sage

Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello
I am considering how our species deals with individual genius, in the various genres that it appears in. It is usually popular culture that 'gets it'. After that it is the sanctimonious. What about you?

If Jesus was here now , would you know him?
'Love God with all you have and love others in the same way.'

Savant

Re: Did you get Kurt Cobain? Would you get Jesus?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:28 pm What are the signs of a genius?
That is an interesting question. By what I see, the common sign is that the people of his era reject him and don't understand him. People seem to have very strong tendency to hold on to what they have learned and think is the truth. And the bigger the new idea is, the stronger the opposition for it.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #12

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello

Music is a perfect conveyance for a 'non-specific ' message. It resonates and illuminates, all the corners of that message that are emotionally real to it's audience.

The Jesus message is 'non-specific ' in many ways. It calls to its listenership. It is a real engagement with a totality revealed through simplicity.

Christian theologists cannot eat clouds with a fork so therefore, many of them, dig into 'the neighbours door' to eat wood.

Data
Sage

Post #13

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:13 am Hello
I am considering how our species deals with individual genius, in the various genres that it appears in. It is usually popular culture that 'gets it'. After that it is the sanctimonious. What about you?

If Jesus was here now , would you know him?
Kurt Cobain? A troubled individual confused about his own sexuality, doesn't trust authority figures and has an aversion towards conformity. He hated the music business and fame and was embarrassed by displays of wealth. He was murdered. Musically he insisted upon simplicity, confusing it, as many in his genre did, for purity; most of his lyrics, by his own admission, were nonsense. He was, what some of us musisicans call a music snob. It's quite common. A music snob believes their music to be the only real form of music. This is most common in jazz, pop and rock.

As for Jesus, let's say instead if I were in his time how would I know him because for him to be in this time would be another person. If I could go back to his time and observe him as I would be, temporarily traveling through time, I would him the same as I do here by reading about him. The only difference being that it would be on a more personal level which I couldn't possibly guess from this perspective.

People, or our species as you put it, think of a genius as a person who is exceptionally intelligent or creative, either generally or in some particular respect. Typically, they are misunderstood and frowned upon on a personal level. We could call that jealousy or stupidity. Maybe conformity.

Data
Sage

Post #14

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:18 pm Hello
"THE TOP 50 MOST ICONIC SONGS OF ALL TIME
1.Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)
2.Imagine - John Lennon (1971)

Do you get it?

Is it a generational thing?
Did Jesus appeal to a particular age demographic.
Kurt spread globally, on the back of popular opinion.
Is that what happened the message of Jesus?
Have you any ideas about 'genius' in the world?
Excellence in primitive music is cultural. Popular songs often don't stand the test of time, although the two mediocre examples you gave are exceptions. It seems the former example is temporal but the latter transcends the temporal, so it isn't necessarily a generational thing. The Jesus concept can appeal to any age demographic but would probably appeal to specific demographics, those close to death either with age or through lifestyle.

One day Kurt will be forgotten. What happened to the message of Jesus was that it was bought and sold. Transmogrified in the process. It isn't that his message changed but that people changed his message and misrepresent it for their own purpose. It's called syncretism. For example, it's likely Christianity will eventually embrace evolutionary theory as they did many pagan teachings, which would render evolutionary theory obsolete.

My ideas about genius in the world is that if we stopped suppressing our intellectual and creative abilities for the sake of conformity we would have far more, and consequently far fewer geniuses. Genius wouldn't stand out as the exception and we wouldn't perceive it as such.
Last edited by Data on Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Data
Sage

Post #15

Post by Data »

Tulipbee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:59 am [Replying to Masterblaster in post #1]

Ah, Masterblaster, the cosmic connoisseur of individual genius! Let's ponder the celestial question: If we "got" Kurt Cobain, would we "get" Jesus in today's popular culture extravaganza?

Picture this cosmic scenario: Jesus, in all his divine glory, walks into our modern mayhem. Would he get the rockstar treatment, or would he be lost in the chaos like Waldo in a crowded comic strip?
I think it would be a rerun. Jesus would be put to death by those waiting on him, like they did the first time.

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #16

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Data

You say - "Kurt Cobain? A troubled individual confused about his own sexuality, doesn't trust authority figures and has an aversion towards conformity."

A fair comment. Jesus, perhaps uneducated,poor, from the 'sticks', moody, rude,.......whatever.

You skirt around two important aspects of genius.

Genius is often on auto-pilot, it is deflected and evolves through interaction. The Nirvana sound evolved. Jesus learned on the job. I feel that contact, such as his meeting the woman at the well, his meeting with social outcasts and the marginalized, honed his perceptions and the clarity of his convictions.

There is not usually a plan to genius, at least not initially. Had Mozart a plan or a conviction? Many of these people become consumed by the terrible self-guilt of obligation to others.

Tulipbee
Student

Post #17

Post by Tulipbee »

[Replying to Data in post #15]

Ah, Data, the time-traveling commentator on celestial reruns! Let's dive into the divine archives and revisit the cosmic drama of traditional Calvinism, echoing through the corridors of predestination.

Now, when it comes to proclaiming the gospel, let's flip the celestial script to Romans 8:38-39 (ESV): "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

In this cosmic saga, the apostle Paul unveils the truth that nothing – not even cosmic chaos, time-traveling paradoxes, or earthly mayhem – can separate believers from the infinite love of God in Christ. It's like a divine safety net that transcends the cosmic reruns of history.

Now, regarding the notion of Jesus facing a rerun of earthly demise, let's remember that the divine drama of salvation is a once-and-for-all masterpiece. The sacrificial act on the cross, the cosmic resurrection – it's not a sequel but a cosmic climax, ensuring that believers are forever wrapped in the love of Christ.

So, Data, let's not get caught up in reruns. Instead, let's revel in the timeless truth of God's unshakable love, a love that transcends all cosmic dramas, past, present, and future. Are you ready for a divine encore of grace and redemption?

Data
Sage

Post #18

Post by Data »

Masterblaster wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:38 am Hello Data

You say - "Kurt Cobain? A troubled individual confused about his own sexuality, doesn't trust authority figures and has an aversion towards conformity."

A fair comment. Jesus, perhaps uneducated,poor, from the 'sticks', moody, rude,.......whatever.
The word fan is shortened term for fanatic from 1550. You mistook my comments as critical.

In this interview he was asked Did you have problems with people thinking that you were gay? He answered: "Yeah, I even thought I was gay, I thought that might be the solution to my problems."

Masterblaster wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:38 am You skirt around two important aspects of genius.

Genius is often on auto-pilot, it is deflected and evolves through interaction. The Nirvana sound evolved. Jesus learned on the job. I feel that contact, such as his meeting the woman at the well, his meeting with social outcasts and the marginalized, honed his perceptions and the clarity of his convictions.

There is not usually a plan to genius, at least not initially. Had Mozart a plan or a conviction? Many of these people become consumed by the terrible self-guilt of obligation to others.
It seems to me that you are confusing genius with appeal.

Data
Sage

Post #19

Post by Data »

Tulipbee wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 am [Replying to Data in post #15]

Ah, Data, the time-traveling commentator on celestial reruns! Let's dive into the divine archives and revisit the cosmic drama of traditional Calvinism, echoing through the corridors of predestination.

Now, when it comes to proclaiming the gospel, let's flip the celestial script to Romans 8:38-39 (ESV): "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

In this cosmic saga, the apostle Paul unveils the truth that nothing – not even cosmic chaos, time-traveling paradoxes, or earthly mayhem – can separate believers from the infinite love of God in Christ. It's like a divine safety net that transcends the cosmic reruns of history.

Now, regarding the notion of Jesus facing a rerun of earthly demise, let's remember that the divine drama of salvation is a once-and-for-all masterpiece. The sacrificial act on the cross, the cosmic resurrection – it's not a sequel but a cosmic climax, ensuring that believers are forever wrapped in the love of Christ.

So, Data, let's not get caught up in reruns. Instead, let's revel in the timeless truth of God's unshakable love, a love that transcends all cosmic dramas, past, present, and future. Are you ready for a divine encore of grace and redemption?
How many of you are there?

Masterblaster
Sage

Post #20

Post by Masterblaster »

Hello Tulipbee

You say - "So, Data, let's not get caught up in reruns. Instead, let's revel in the timeless truth of God's unshakable love, a love that transcends all cosmic dramas, past, present, and future. Are you ready for a divine encore of grace and redemption?"

You disappoint me with this cosmic fog, T.

I have bad news for you.

God does not love you.
God never has loved you.
God will never love you.

To do that ,you need a personable God, and that is just, a non- starter.Tell me you were joking!
Start a thread and I will debate this for a year.