I Guess if God Commands it, Then it's Okay?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

I Guess if God Commands it, Then it's Okay?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For Debate:

1) Isn't it always cowardly to kill small defenseless children? Or, is there a circumstance(s) and/or time where killing small children/babies is/was instead deemed "correct/good/righteous"?

2) How does one know God is asking them to do this/that, verses not?

Reference:

Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, “Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple.” So they began by killing the seventy leaders. “Defile the Temple!” the LORD commanded. “Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!” So they went throughout the city and did as they were told.” (Ezekiel 9:5-7)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Data
Sage

Re: I Guess if God Commands it, Then it's Okay?

Post #131

Post by Data »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm I'm asking you why you love and/or follow a God which is the source of little children's suffering?
That really isn't any concern of yours, but I don't see things that way. I'm not going to explain that to you again, and would only say that your opinion is uninformed. But the basis of your own beliefs.
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm Not sure why you brought evolution into this at all? If evolution was debunked, to my personal satisfaction, it would have absolutely no bearing on this discussion one way or another.
Do you see? That's how it works.
Last edited by Data on Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POI
Prodigy

Post #132

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:21 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm I'm asking you why you love and/or follow a God which is the source of little children's suffering?
That really isn't really any concern of yours,
Funny how you say that here, but opt to answer many probing questions.
Data wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:21 pm but I don't see things that way.
Interesting. Let me vet this out in brief. If you had foreknowledge that someone was later going to be an obstacle, before they were born, would YOU wait until they were little children to then snuff them out? Prolly not.
Data wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:21 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:35 pm Not sure why you brought evolution into this at all? If evolution was debunked, to my personal satisfaction, it would have absolutely no bearing on this discussion one way or another.
Do you see? That's how it works.
That is not how it works. The OP asks "isn't it always cowardly to kill small defenseless children? Or, is there a circumstance(s) and/or time where killing small children/babies is/was instead deemed "correct/good/righteous"? Since God had foreknowledge of them later becoming obstacles, before they are born, and God wanted to prevent them from later becoming obstacles, waiting for them to develop as young children, and then order their slaughter means? ---> So far, 'they are a sadistic voyeur' fits the description of such an agency. Why? Because if you had the exact same facilities, you likely would not be nearly as sadistic. You would probably just prevent their conception/other, which would still accomplish the exact same goal.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Data
Sage

Post #133

Post by Data »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:45 pm Funny how you say that here, but opt to answer many probing questions.
That doesn't change anything, though, really, does it?
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:45 pm Interesting. Let me vet this out in brief. If you had foreknowledge that someone was later going to be an obstacle, before they were born, would YOU wait until they were little children to then snuff them out? Prolly not.
Definitely not. I'd send them over to your house. But we aren't talking about me and we're not talking about you. Are we? Hmmm? I don't think so.

POI
Prodigy

Post #134

Post by POI »

Data wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:03 pm
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:45 pm Interesting. Let me vet this out in brief. If you had foreknowledge that someone was later going to be an obstacle, before they were born, would YOU wait until they were little children to then snuff them out? Prolly not.
Definitely not.
Great. Then 'venerating' Jehovah is quite peculiar.

alexxcJRO
Guru

Post #135

Post by alexxcJRO »

POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:27 pm
Definitely not.

Only religion can make people do actions that are clearly malevolent-evil and then make them think are in fact good actions.
We have Christian Catholics torturing and killing(mostly burning alive) 40,000 to 50,000 innocent people (~80%women) because "witches".

We have Islamic Jihadists of Hamas origins inflicting great suffering, pain and death(rapes, beheadings, burning alive, shootings, blowing apart) to innocent people(including babies, elderly, women) because "Jews are bad", "infidels", "martyrdom", "paradise with 12 virgins".

We have Data here not having any issue with God being a sadistic voyeur and at times ordering genocides, inflicting great suffering, pain and death indiscriminately himself on mass in the Bible stories.

Both Christians have done great acts that are so malevolent and evil one can hardly digest them properly when analyzing the facts involved.
They did this in the name of God or believing God is in agreement or asked for this.

Together with these despicable acts we have the believers saying "God is good all the time" or "Allah Akbar".

Morons will not find the clear contradiction staring them clearly back in the face.

Its a tragic-comic reality we live ourselves in.
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
"God is a insignificant nobody. He is so unimportant that no one would even know he exists if evolution had not made possible for animals capable of abstract thought to exist and invent him"
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."

POI
Prodigy

Post #136

Post by POI »

alexxcJRO wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:28 am
POI wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:27 pm
Definitely not.

Only religion can make people do actions that are clearly malevolent-evil and then make them think are in fact good actions.
We have Christian Catholics torturing and killing(mostly burning alive) 40,000 to 50,000 innocent people (~80%women) because "witches".

We have Islamic Jihadists of Hamas origins inflicting great suffering, pain and death(rapes, beheadings, burning alive, shootings, blowing apart) to innocent people(including babies, elderly, women) because "Jews are bad", "infidels", "martyrdom", "paradise with 12 virgins".

We have Data here not having any issue with God being a sadistic voyeur and at times ordering genocides, inflicting great suffering, pain and death indiscriminately himself on mass in the Bible stories.

Both Christians have done great acts that are so malevolent and evil one can hardly digest them properly when analyzing the facts involved.
They did this in the name of God or believing God is in agreement or asked for this.

Together with these despicable acts we have the believers saying "God is good all the time" or "Allah Akbar".

Morons will not find the clear contradiction staring them clearly back in the face.

Its a tragic-comic reality we live ourselves in.
Data will keep trying to hide behind the topic of 'morality' - that morals are subjective. But in Christianity, what is the stated second greatest Commandment? "Love your neighbor as yourself.' If Data abides by God's law, then his responses are severely incongruent, and/or contradict. This commandment is essentially also telling the believer to treat others like they themselves would also want to be treated. Which then means, we have an adequate moral compass to assess what IS "moral". So here's where contradiction comes directly into play....

Data admits that if he had foreknowledge of these unwanted obstacles, Data would not wait to intervene until they were little children, And yet, that is exactly what Jehovah ordered. Doh! Now Data wants to avoid the contradiction.