Why All the Pageantry?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Why All the Pageantry?

Post #1

Post by POI »

If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God.

Why clone himself, send that human to earth, and have this god-clone be martyred/murdered to atone for human sin (like a sheep) -- only to have this martyred/murdered clone almost immediately ascend back up to heaven -- (a place of perfect bliss anyways)? Seems like a lot of unnecessary-ness. It also does not really seem like an "ultimate sacrifice" anyhow.

For Debate:

(again) If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us? He's God. If no one 'deserves' God's true grace anyways, then just forgive all. What's with all the extra pageantry?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Why All the Pageantry?

Post #191

Post by TRANSPONDER »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:55 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:30 am
POI wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm If God wanted to forgive us, why not just forgive us?
By what the Bible tells, that is exactly what He did. But then people decided to kill people who bring that message.
Do you mean:
The First Crusade (1096-1099) ...
The Second Crusade (1147-1149) ...
The Third Crusade (1187-1192) ...
The Fourth Crusade (1202-1204) ...
Final Crusades (1208-1271)

Or just the Inquisition?

Or John Calvin killing Servetus?

Or, the execution of heretics?

Or, the genocide of native Canadian children by Christians?

Hard to keep track....
Don't forget the Northern crusade by the dammit what were they called? Teutonic order, that's it ...against the pagan Lithuanians. Or the 30 years' war fought (originally at least) on a sectarian dispute.