Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Why Do YOU Think People Believe in God?

Post #1

Post by Miles »

.... Any god!

"Why do people believe in God? For most people in the world, the answer seems obvious: Because it’s self-evident that God exists. From the point of view of the believer, the really puzzling question is how anyone could not believe.

And yet, as University of California at Irvine psychologist Brett Mercier and his colleagues point out in a recent article, there was once a time in the prehistory of our species when nobody believed in a god of any sort. Our evolutionary ancestors were all atheists, but somewhere along the way they found religion. So we’re back to our original question: Why do people believe in God?"

source

So, why do you think people believe in god?

brunumb
Savant

Re: Why Do YOU Think People Believe in God?

Post #31

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 am
Miles wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 pm But not under water in waterlogged soil for 376 days. No oxygen breathing land animal can. It's why they breathe oxygen in the first place; to survive.
It is possible that there were places were air pockets.
Miles wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 pm
And there are also animals that could have survived in cavities inside earth.
If some animals could get in the caves why couldn't the flood waters? It could, and would have.
Earth can be dense enough to keep the air in place long enough.
This limits much of the number of animals.
Limits no such thing. All land life would have been killed. And wasn't this the reason for Noah having built the ark in the first place? It sure was: to save the many, many species from being killed off while all their kin died.
Bible tells all life on earth and earth means in the Bible dry land. This means, things in water, or below the surface of earth could have survived.

And behold, I, even I, am bringing a flood of waters on the earth in order to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under the heavens. Everything which is on the earth shall die.

Gen. 6:17

And God called the dry land, Earth. And He called the collection of the waters, Seas. And God saw that it was good.
Gen. 1:10
By my information there are about 15500 species of mammals, reptilians and birds.
And just what is the source of your information? I always try to remember to share mine, so how about returning the favor?
For my case the number of families is more important and that number is based on these:

”According to Mammal Species of the World, 5,416 species were identified in 2006. These were grouped into 1,229 genera, 153 families and 29 orders.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal 19.11.2022
194 bird families
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_lintuheimoista 19.11.2022
30 Snake families
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake 19.11.2022
50 Reptilian families
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles 19.11.2022
This means, ark had the ancestor of all modern bears, not all modern bears.
And just what form do you imagine this single ancestor of the eight bear species took?
That what is called Ursidae in this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/e0/49 ... cbbe8e.jpg
And fresh water, there was heavy rain many days, which would have provided most, if not all of the required water.
So you think that if all eight people aboard worked to feed 7,770,000 million animal species they would also have time to get them water? Not on your tintype m' lady. I'm taking a well deserved nap. :sleepsleep:
If the ark was built in right way, the animals could drink without any help. And also the food could have been arranged so that not much work from the people was necessary.
Also it is possible that they could have gotten fish.

What fish? Just about every form of fish would have perished in the rain-diluted water. Are you not aware that, with extremely few exceptions, salt water fish cannot live in diluted water and that fresh water fish cannot live in salty water? The mix would kill them both, which is why Noah would have to have had great sea-water and fresh-water tanks aboard to save all the marine and fresh-water animals.
No reason to think fish could not survive. Many species can survive in brackish water, Baltic Sea is a proof for that. Baltic sea also shows that there can be different areas with different level of salinity. So, it is easily possible that there were different areas with different conditions so that many sea creatures could have survived.
Sorry, I have no reason to believe your claims.

Your suggestions have all been debunked time and time and time again. Your explanations are anti-scientific and wildly speculative at best. "Maybe" doesn't cut it. Provide actual scientific verification that validates your "possibilities". Otherwise they are nothing more than a desperate attempt to make the unintelligible seem credible. It all fails miserably and it has been known for well over a hundred years that the Noachian flood did not happen nor could it have happened.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #32

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Well we see that 'Debunked' means coming up with any vague excuses about air pockets and a dense earth retaining air,vague attempts to reduce the millions of species to a few thousand basic kinds for which all spiecessprang in a thousand years, never mind species localisation or genetic inviolability.

It just doesn't work, with the carnivores having eaten everything within months. The failure to make any case better than'the Ark could have been done some way to make it work' and vague hints at a miracle is nothing like a debunk, no more than dismissing any or all arguments and pretending that gives you the win.the Genesis - literalist the win.

As always what either side believes or rejects isn't the point, as a debate in itself isn't the point, but what the audience thinks is the point.

Miles
Savant

Post #33

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 am
Miles wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:16 pm But not under water in waterlogged soil for 376 days. No oxygen breathing land animal can. It's why they breathe oxygen in the first place; to survive.
It is possible that there were places were air pockets.
And there are also animals that could have survived in cavities inside earth.
If some animals could get in the caves why couldn't the flood waters? It could, and would have.
Earth can be dense enough to keep the air in place long enough.
This limits much of the number of animals.
Limits no such thing. All land life would have been killed. And wasn't this the reason for Noah having built the ark in the first place? It sure was: to save the many, many species from being killed off while all their kin died.
Bible tells all life on earth and earth means in the Bible dry land. This means, things in water, or below the surface of earth could have survived.

And behold, I, even I, am bringing a flood of waters on the earth in order to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life from under the heavens. Everything which is on the earth shall die.

Gen. 6:17

And God called the dry land, Earth. And He called the collection of the waters, Seas. And God saw that it was good.
Gen. 1:10
By my information there are about 15500 species of mammals, reptilians and birds.
And just what is the source of your information? I always try to remember to share mine, so how about returning the favor?
For my case the number of families is more important and that number is based on these:

”According to Mammal Species of the World, 5,416 species were identified in 2006. These were grouped into 1,229 genera, 153 families and 29 orders.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammal 19.11.2022
194 bird families
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_lintuheimoista 19.11.2022
30 Snake families
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake 19.11.2022
50 Reptilian families
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles 19.11.2022
This means, ark had the ancestor of all modern bears, not all modern bears.
And just what form do you imagine this single ancestor of the eight bear species took?
That what is called Ursidae in this:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e3/e0/49 ... cbbe8e.jpg
And fresh water, there was heavy rain many days, which would have provided most, if not all of the required water.
So you think that if all eight people aboard worked to feed 7,770,000 million animal species they would also have time to get them water? Not on your tintype m' lady. I'm taking a well deserved nap. :sleepsleep:
If the ark was built in right way, the animals could drink without any help. And also the food could have been arranged so that not much work from the people was necessary.
Also it is possible that they could have gotten fish.

What fish? Just about every form of fish would have perished in the rain-diluted water. Are you not aware that, with extremely few exceptions, salt water fish cannot live in diluted water and that fresh water fish cannot live in salty water? The mix would kill them both, which is why Noah would have to have had great sea-water and fresh-water tanks aboard to save all the marine and fresh-water animals.
No reason to think fish could not survive. Many species can survive in brackish water, Baltic Sea is a proof for that. Baltic sea also shows that there can be different areas with different level of salinity. So, it is easily possible that there were different areas with different conditions so that many sea creatures could have survived.
And here I thought the saltwater---freshwater fish dilemma was fairly common knowledge. My mistake. In any case:

(And please note the explanation of Osmosis in the link below.)

Why can't saltwater fish live in freshwater and vice versa?

Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater because their bodies are highly concentrated of salt solution (too much for freshwater). The water would flow into their body until all their cells accumulate so much water that they bloat and die eventually.

On the other hand, freshwater fish can't survive in the ocean or saltwater because the seawater is too salty for them. The water inside their bodies would flow out their cells, and they wiil die of dehydration.
suorce

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #34

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Thanks. I cancelled a post because you did it better. But really, there is is so much reason to think (1) we have a recycled Mesopotamian myth here, not a real event. I know we have to trust geologists when they say 'No local flood', 'Mountains did not suddenly appear' and erosion hath shown several early mountains exposed by the erosion of later mountains that covered them. That's before we get to problems geographical, palaeontological, biological, archaeological, morphological, chronological and just logical. I was watching some vids on the Neolithic to early Bronze age and there are these early cultures (dated by C14 and dendrochronology and I don't have enough faith to be a science - denialist), and these cultures went on grinding their stone axes, herding the sheep and cattle, experimenting with pottery, fabricating clay mother - goddesses (or no pin - marks have ever yet been detected) and the Flood apparently rolled over them and they never even noticed.

According to when the Flood is dated but, like fiddling the Exodus into Pharaonic history and never mind the Egyptologically - agreed chronology, I guess Flood dating can be put anywhere it seems to work. Which is actually nowhere.

(1) the point, consistently missed by Bible apologists, is not what excuses they can come up with to allow them to continue in faithbased denial, but what convincing hypotheses they can come up with to make an objective observer think .."Yeah, a triceratops on a treadwheel operating a conveyor-belt; that could work". Never mind convincing us. Thing is; 'Feasibility studies' and figures about how many dinosaurs you can cram into a cattle tuck, and even excuses like juvenile dinos and hibernation might work for the ones who didn't worry too much, but koalas hoofed by volcanoes to Australia is a bit much. Even Creationalists have their limits to how much they can let pass. Thing is...the dino eggs apologetic might have passed if them thar pesky skeptics didn't ask: 'How do you sex dino eggs?' ...Ah, ah,ah...no no no no no... you can't have a Miracle, or the Flood isn't even needed'.

The excuse that 'How do you know God didn't make them pink and blue?' collapsed in a flame war about pronouns and a flurry of bannings.

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:00 pm ...
Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater because their bodies are highly concentrated of salt solution (too much for freshwater)....
So, you are saying essentially that Baltic sea is a miracle, or has no fish? :D

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #36

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:49 am
Saltwater fish can't survive in freshwater because their bodies are highly concentrated of salt solution (too much for freshwater)....
My geography has let me down here, you'll have to explain your argument (your link explains nothing, as usual).I always thought the Baltic sea was salt water, like the other oceans, and had fish.

Ok I has a look The Baltic is brackish water and has a lot of fish. Euryhaline fish can survive in brackish water because they have adapted (evolution) to do so. But I get the point that freshwater fish and presumably saltwater fish would be able to manage in an ocean suddenly diluted by fresh water. I doubt they would be able to adapt as quickly as that.

Miles
Savant

Post #37

Post by Miles »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 am
As I said in post 25

"What fish? Just about every form of fish would have perished in the rain-diluted water. Are you not aware that, with extremely few exceptions, salt water fish cannot live in diluted water and that fresh water fish cannot live in salty water? "

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #38

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:41 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 am
As I said in post 25

"What fish? Just about every form of fish would have perished in the rain-diluted water. Are you not aware that, with extremely few exceptions, salt water fish cannot live in diluted water and that fresh water fish cannot live in salty water? "

It's an argument I have come across before and I suspect that we have localised fish adapted to the conditions, but I haven't found that point answered. I am sure that fish cannot simply swim from salt to brackish waters without suffering extinction, but I'm no expert. The point made before were eels and salmon that migrate from salt sea to fresh rivers.I recall the body is adapted to change the body of the fish to regulate the salt intake, and one can raise queries that require an expert to answer. That's without God doing a little magic just to allow the fish to manage, and it is why I prefer to leave that one and use the 'nothing to eat' killer -argument.

Savant

Post #39

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 am ...Ok I has a look The Baltic is brackish water and has a lot of fish. Euryhaline fish can survive in brackish water because they have adapted (evolution) to do so. But I get the point that freshwater fish and presumably saltwater fish would be able to manage in an ocean suddenly diluted by fresh water. I doubt they would be able to adapt as quickly as that.
Yes, Baltic sea is Brackish water, meaning, there are areas with higher salinity and areas that have no salt. There are fish that can survive those conditions.

And the point of this is, as in Baltic, also during the great flood, there could have been different salinity levels, some areas could have had more salt than others, which would have provided suitable environment for many different kind of sea creatures. Also, it is possible that at the time of the flood, those animals were more adapted to the conditions than today.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #40

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:42 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:30 am ...Ok I has a look The Baltic is brackish water and has a lot of fish. Euryhaline fish can survive in brackish water because they have adapted (evolution) to do so. But I get the point that freshwater fish and presumably saltwater fish would be able to manage in an ocean suddenly diluted by fresh water. I doubt they would be able to adapt as quickly as that.
Yes, Baltic sea is Brackish water, meaning, there are areas with higher salinity and areas that have no salt. There are fish that can survive those conditions.

And the point of this is, as in Baltic, also during the great flood, there could have been different salinity levels, some areas could have had more salt than others, which would have provided suitable environment for many different kind of sea creatures. Also, it is possible that at the time of the flood, those animals were more adapted to the conditions than today.
I doubt your argument works as a deluge of fresh water turning into a single global flood of brackish water would not have had convenient pockets of salt and fresh to keep the appropriate fish conveniently alive. All the fish would have been suddenly in a hostile environment whatever they had been adapted to previously. That point about the Baltic was a neat one, I agree, O:) but we know the way the world works and as a first hypothesis I guess we have fish that have become adapted to brackish water and their cousins out in the Atlantic would not do well if they were suddenly transported to the Finnish coast.

Your hypothesis of pockets of this or that salinity is trying to have your Flood and not have it, with conditions staying the same. Quite apart from it defeats the object of wiping out creation. The argument that maybe it was different then is what we in the trade call 'an excuse'. I know the thinking is,'it's true, there must be some explanation or other'.But that isn't the go -to hypothesis that fits the facts which are, geology says no Flood, biology says no flood possible, Bible says flood story borrowed, unworkable and makes no sense. That's the go -to hypothesis and it is not make excuses for a hypothesis that makes far less sense.

I know you will be doing denial. That's up to you, but rejecting the better hypothesis on Faith is not going to make the best case; the discussions here are not about persuading the believers (though there is more rejoicing in the "Inferno" bar and grill about one Believer who wises up than 1,000 handwaving enthusiasts in a megachurch), but what is the hypothesis that best fits the facts.

So, no, the example of the Baltic, though a nice point, doesn't validate a global flood -theory, even though I still prefer the 'mud slick' objection, as for me, that's the killer. Even so,appreciate the input as without theists arguing for Genesis, Prophecy and the Resurrection, we atheists would have nothing to keep us off the streets.