Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Which Christianity is the True Faith?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Seems after 2000 years, Christians can't decide - and God isn't talking.

So, which brave Christian wants to set it out clearly here: Who will speak for God?

Which Christianity is the true faith!?

(popping popcorn)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Tcg
Savant

Re: Which Christianity is the True Faith?

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:41 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:57 am
Who told you that people who follow Jesus are Christians? ...
That is the general understanding of the term.

Cherry picking one definition (that happens to match your indoctrination) amongst numerous options doesn't support your claim that the single one you provided is the "general understanding of the term." You've only provided one understanding of the term. They are numerous others.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #32

Post by JehovahsWitness »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:57 amWho judged Jesus was Christ?
That's a theological question , not one that can be scientifically answered. There is a biblical argument but I dont think you are asking for scriptural support for a particular position (correct me if I am wrong). I don't believe there is a secular consensus on assessment of Jesus spiritual qualification as the Christ.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Data
Sage

Post #33

Post by Data »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

There isn't any such thing and there never has been. True is a subjective term. The Jews had Jehovah and the Christians had Christ and neither of them were "true." You aren't going to get a "true" religion. Ever. Form your own religion right now based upon what you determine is true and 50 million people will scramble out of town to subscribe to your truth only to drastically change it within a month's time at the least.

Define true. Based upon doctrine? Based upon behavior and belief? Base it upon sin. Then at least you don't have a faulty premise.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #34

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

There isn't any such thing and there never has been. ...
Define true. Based upon doctrine? Based upon behavior and belief? Base it upon sin. ....
If there was a God , could He define and designate "true religion"? If an omniscient God declared something true would that be true?

JOHN 18: 37 , 38

Jesus answered: “You yourself are saying that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is on the side of the truth listens to my voice.” Pilate said to him: “What is truth?”

After saying this, he went out again ...
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Data
Sage

Post #35

Post by Data »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:49 pm If there was a God , could He define and designate "true religion"?
There are lots of Gods, and I suppose they could define what true religion might be should it exist. You and I well know that the apostles were a democratic organization, not a tyrannical one. Which religion is true isn't particularly relevant by comparison. The adherents to "the truth" can claim to be aligned with that, but that doesn't mean anything. Saul was of the truly anointed, no?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #36

Data wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:53 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:49 pm If there was a God , could He define and designate "true religion"?
There are lots of Gods, and I suppose they could define what true religion might be should it exist. You and I well know that the apostles were a democratic organization, not a tyrannical one. Which religion is true isn't particularly relevant by comparison. The adherents to "the truth" can claim to be aligned with that, but that doesn't mean anything. Saul was of the truly anointed, no?

If there was one supreme superior God omnisicent, all knowing God ... if such a God existed could He define and declare a religion true?

Data
Sage

Post #37

Post by Data »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:55 pm If there was one supreme superior God omnisicent, all knowing God ... if such a God existed could He define and declare a religion true?
Would you agree that the term omniscient is magnified in importance and meaning just as omnipresence is? Clarification for the other readers: Jehovah God isn't omnipresent because his position is fixed in heaven. The heavens, and as Solomon said, the temple, can't contain him. His presence is made known through various means - such as messengers, or angels, his figurative word and perfect spokesperson Christ Jesus. As Paul said there are many Gods and many Lords, but to us the supreme is a subjective term. So, let's say Jehovah God was this supreme all knowing, all mighty God of which you speak. You would have to concede that his definition and declaration of a true religion in the examples I gave, the Jews of ancient Israel until, what? Pentecost 33 CE? and thereafter the Christian congregation were true.

So, your current definition of a true religion isn't likely any more true than those, is it? Jehovah God is all knowing. Religion isn't. So, how do you define true religion and does it matter since your religious representatives here on earth aren't Jehovah God.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #38

Data wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:14 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:55 pm If there was one supreme superior God omnisicent, all knowing God ... if such a God existed could He define and declare a religion true?
Would you agree that the term omniscient is magnified in importance {snip: irrelevant}
Thank you for your comment... but did you actually anwser my question ?

JW

bjs1
Sage

Post #39

Post by bjs1 »

Tcg wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:12 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:41 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:57 am
Who told you that people who follow Jesus are Christians? ...
That is the general understanding of the term.

Cherry picking one definition (that happens to match your indoctrination) amongst numerous options doesn't support your claim that the single one you provided is the "general understanding of the term." You've only provided one understanding of the term. They are numerous others.

Tcg
Perhaps you could list four or five of these "numerous" definitions so that we could see how they are meaningfully different than that definition provided here.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Data
Sage

Post #40

Post by Data »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:44 pm
Data wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:14 pm
Would you agree that the term omniscient is magnified in importance {snip: irrelevant}
Thank you for your comment... but did you actually anwser my question ?
Yes. It just wasn't the answer you wanted. You wanted me to finish the script as you were given it. You want me to answer your God is supreme, which I would, by the way, and that he defines your religion as true, which I don't agree with because a) it isn't possible yet and 2) your claims to the contrary are biased and poorly constructed. I think.

Is there one supreme superior God, all knowing? I believe there is, but a God is only a god to those who worship him. Your and my God isn't the God of everyone. Instead of all knowing you should use grand creator in your question - like this: Is there one supreme God who created the heavens and Earth? The answer is, I believe, yes. Can he define and declare a religion true? I believe he can, yes, but since there has never been one true religion, my answer is conjectural.