Preamble
Genesis 2–3 is often treated as the foundation for explaining the Fall and the need for Christ’s death. But does the text itself actually establish those Christian claims?
The narrative leaves numerous important questions unanswered, including motivations, meanings, timing, consequences, and what actually occurred. These gaps require readers to supply assumptions that the text itself never states.
The Bible itself contains multiple theological interpretations of Genesis 2–3, representing later religious assumptions and beliefs that are not part of the original text.
If Genesis 2–3 cannot establish original sin, inherited guilt, or humanity’s need for redemption, then it cannot independently tell us why Christ’s death was necessary.
My argument is not that Genesis 2–3 is historically or literally worthless. Rather, I am questioning its usefulness as evidence for determining whether Christianity’s theological explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Definitions
1. Theological interpretation: A religious explanation or understanding assigned to a biblical passage.
2. Original text: What the biblical passage actually says, without later interpretations added to it.
3. Religious assumptions: Beliefs accepted without being explicitly established by the biblical text.
4. Evidence: Information or facts used to support or evaluate whether a claim is true.
Relevant Biblical Passages
Genesis 2:17
“But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
Genesis 3:7
“Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked, and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.”
Genesis 3:22
“And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:”
Genesis 3:24
“So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.”
Argument
P1: Genesis 2–3 does not explicitly establish the theological claims later used to explain Christ’s death.
P2: Claims requiring additional unstated assumptions cannot establish their theological conclusions.
C: Genesis 2–3 is insufficient evidence for determining whether Christianity’s explanation of Christ’s death is true.
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Moderator: Moderators
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #1I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- 1213
- Savant
- Posts: 13731
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:06 am
- Location: Finland
- Has thanked: 544 times
- Been thanked: 528 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #31The choice was basically between, go with the God, or go with the serpent. They went with the serpent and by doing so they rejected the other option that was the God.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2026 9:34 am ...
I would need you to explain why their disobedience was a rejection of God and not a rejection of his command.
My new book can be read freely from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rIkqxC ... xtqFY/view
Old version can be read from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/202212010403 ... x_eng.html
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #32[Replying to 1213 in post #31]
Adam and Eve were persuaded by the snake, not God.
Ok, so God's persuasive powers were inferior to the snake's persuasive powers.
Thinking about the reasons to not eat the fruit, they "went with" the snakes reasoning.
That doesn't mean that they rejected God or accepted the snake.
I can disagree with you and still want to be your friend.
Your arguments aren't who you are.. its what you use to persuade me.
Maybe the bible teaches to not "go with" bullies who threaten death, but to "go with" more gentle reasoning.
I think that by "went with", you mean "was persuaded by".I would need you to explain why their disobedience was a rejection of God and not a rejection of his command.
The choice was basically between, go with the God, or go with the serpent. They went with the serpent and by doing so they rejected the other option that was the God.
Adam and Eve were persuaded by the snake, not God.
Ok, so God's persuasive powers were inferior to the snake's persuasive powers.
Thinking about the reasons to not eat the fruit, they "went with" the snakes reasoning.
That doesn't mean that they rejected God or accepted the snake.
I can disagree with you and still want to be your friend.
Your arguments aren't who you are.. its what you use to persuade me.
Maybe the bible teaches to not "go with" bullies who threaten death, but to "go with" more gentle reasoning.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
BruceLeiter
- Sage
- Posts: 594
- Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2025 3:39 pm
- Been thanked: 16 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #33[Replying to Ray the atheist in post #29]
@Ray the atheist, the bottom line for me is that scientists who reject the possibility of the supernatural have faith that it all happens with natural causes, whereas other people have faith that the supernatural has caused and impacted the natural based on the design and beauty of the universe, for example. That is the difference of belief, and it all involves faith of one kind or another.
@Ray the atheist, the bottom line for me is that scientists who reject the possibility of the supernatural have faith that it all happens with natural causes, whereas other people have faith that the supernatural has caused and impacted the natural based on the design and beauty of the universe, for example. That is the difference of belief, and it all involves faith of one kind or another.
- bluegreenearth
- Guru
- Posts: 2267
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm
- Location: Manassas, VA
- Has thanked: 1066 times
- Been thanked: 701 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #34Most scientists do not have the faith you've unjustifiably ascribed to them. The scientific method requires that claims be distinguished as falsifiable or unfalsifiable. Many claims about the supernatural are unfalsifiable. This means that no quantity or quality of evidence will function to disprove many of the claims about the supernatural. So, the possibility of the supernatural is not necessarily rejected as false but is inadmissible as an explanation for anything because the claim cannot be reasonably investigated for us to determine if it is false.BruceLeiter wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 11:26 am [Replying to Ray the atheist in post #29]
@Ray the atheist, the bottom line for me is that scientists who reject the possibility of the supernatural have faith that it all happens with natural causes, whereas other people have faith that the supernatural has caused and impacted the natural based on the design and beauty of the universe, for example. That is the difference of belief, and it all involves faith of one kind or another.
I encourage you to visit the "Are you misunderstanding the scientific method?" topic in the Science and Religion forum: viewtopic.php?t=43308
"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes." - King Arthur, Monty Python & The Holy Grail
- JehovahsWitness
- Savant
- Posts: 23632
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
- Has thanked: 934 times
- Been thanked: 1357 times
- Contact:
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #35Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Tue Sep 15, 2026 11:44 am [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #2]
____________________________Genesis chapters 2 and 3 only establishes that the actions of Adam and Eve resulted in their expulsion from the Garden and the loss of what they originally had. That a "redeemer" would come and recrify the situation for their offspring is implied but not explained in Genesis 3:15. The role of Christ would be many thousands of years in the revealing but that there would be further chapters in this story is implicit in the edenic judgements of Genesis 3.
How is a "redeemer" coming to rectify the situation for their offspring implied in Genesis 3:15?
The above explicitly states that the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden.GENESIS 3:15
And I will put enmity between you+ and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #36[Replying to bluegreenearth in post #34]
You are claiming that science uses faith and not what we call the "scientific methods".
Faith isn't part of the scientific process, sorry.
The scientific method generally involves observation, asking a question, forming a hypothesis, making predictions, testing them through experiments, collecting data, analyzing results, evaluating the hypothesis, replicating findings, peer review, drawing conclusions, and communicating results.
No faith there.
____________________________________@Ray the atheist, the bottom line for me is that scientists who reject the possibility of the supernatural have faith that it all happens with natural causes, whereas other people have faith that the supernatural has caused and impacted the natural based on the design and beauty of the universe, for example. That is the difference of belief, and it all involves faith of one kind or another.
You are claiming that science uses faith and not what we call the "scientific methods".
Faith isn't part of the scientific process, sorry.
The scientific method generally involves observation, asking a question, forming a hypothesis, making predictions, testing them through experiments, collecting data, analyzing results, evaluating the hypothesis, replicating findings, peer review, drawing conclusions, and communicating results.
No faith there.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #37[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #35]
I don't read " the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden." in the text.
I can't find that anywhere in the bible. It is an interpretation of Genesis 3:15, traditionally called the “protoevangelium.”
Where in the bible does it say that: " the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden.[/b]" in Gen 2-3"?
Lets not invent the bible.
__________________________________How is a "redeemer" coming to rectify the situation for their offspring implied in Genesis 3:15?
______________________________________
GENESIS 3:15
And I will put enmity between you+ and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”
The above explicitly states that the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden.
I don't read " the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden." in the text.
I can't find that anywhere in the bible. It is an interpretation of Genesis 3:15, traditionally called the “protoevangelium.”
Where in the bible does it say that: " the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden.[/b]" in Gen 2-3"?
Lets not invent the bible.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- JehovahsWitness
- Savant
- Posts: 23632
- Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
- Has thanked: 934 times
- Been thanked: 1357 times
- Contact:
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #38Just to explain, the words outside to "<--- quotation marks --->" are my own, written to support the point I am deducing from on the text; so you won't see my words in the text itself.Ray the atheist wrote: ↑Wed Sep 23, 2026 1:54 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #35]
__________________________________How is a "redeemer" coming to rectify the situation for their offspring implied in Genesis 3:15?
______________________________________
GENESIS 3:15
And I will put enmity between you+ and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.”
The above explicitly states that the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden.
I don't read " the judgement concerns not just Adam and Eve but a future generation of "offspring". A "head blow" to Satan, implies he will be temporarily or permanently incapacitated by a future actor in the drama, yet to appear when the judgement was announced in Eden." in the text.
Hope that helps
JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681
"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" - Romans 14:8
-
Ray the atheist
- Scholar
- Posts: 355
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 12:28 pm
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 48 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #39[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]
Yes, it does help.
Now I know that you made it up.
If you are needing to provide textual evidence, please don't change or add the words in the text.
Quote the actual verse, thanks.
_________________________________Just to explain, the words outside to "<--- quotation marks --->" are my own, written to support the point I am deducing from on the text; so you won't see my words in the text itself.
Hope that helps
Yes, it does help.
Now I know that you made it up.
If you are needing to provide textual evidence, please don't change or add the words in the text.
Quote the actual verse, thanks.
I study religiously motivated reasoning. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe in the supernatural or superstitions. I genuinely want to engage your ideas charitably and respectfully. I value critical thinking, empathy, intellectual honesty, and civil disagreement. I am committed to understanding each other’s arguments, remaining open to correction, and discussing arguments rather than attack each other.
- bluegreenearth
- Guru
- Posts: 2267
- Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 pm
- Location: Manassas, VA
- Has thanked: 1066 times
- Been thanked: 701 times
Re: Genesis 2–3 Cannot Establish the Need For Christ’s Death
Post #40[Replying to Ray the atheist in post #36]
You accidentally replied to me when your response was intended for BruceLeiter.
You accidentally replied to me when your response was intended for BruceLeiter.
"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes." - King Arthur, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

