Moderator: Moderators

BirdofPrey
Student

How to call on the Lord's name ?

Post #1

Post by BirdofPrey »

Romans 10:13
For, "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved."
What does call on the name mean ? How do you call on a name ?

Prince
Scholar

Post #41

Post by Prince »

bluethread wrote:Prince, how gnostic of you. I gather that if I do not now know the "devine name" you seem to be eluding to, I am not truly a believer in the God of Avraham,Yitzchak and Yacov. Is this what you would contend?
Yes. That is correct.

bluethread
Savant

Post #42

Post by bluethread »

Prince wrote:
bluethread wrote:Prince, how gnostic of you. I gather that if I do not now know the "devine name" you seem to be eluding to, I am not truly a believer in the God of Avraham,Yitzchak and Yacov. Is this what you would contend?
Yes. That is correct.
OK, presuming that name is best expressed as יהוה. How does one call on this name?

teddy_trueblood
Apprentice

Post #43

Post by teddy_trueblood »

OK, presuming that name is best expressed as יהוה. How does one call on this name?

By doing one's best.

The KJV set the pattern for the traditional English transliteration of "Jehovah" (see Ps. 83:18, for example.) Some modern scholars want to use "Yahweh." A few believe "Yehowah" is closer to the original pronunciation.

But any of them is an honest attempt at an English form of the proper name of God.

What is not an honest attempt is the complete removal of the name, and its replacement with an entirely different word: "LORD," or "GOD" (usually with an initial large capital letter followed by smaller capital letters) as found in most Bibles.

InTheFlesh
Guru

Post #44

Post by InTheFlesh »

John.5
1.[39] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Pss.150
[6] Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

bluethread
Savant

Post #45

Post by bluethread »

teddy_trueblood wrote:

By doing one's best.

The KJV set the pattern for the traditional English transliteration of "Jehovah" (see Ps. 83:18, for example.) Some modern scholars want to use "Yahweh." A few believe "Yehowah" is closer to the original pronunciation.

But any of them is an honest attempt at an English form of the proper name of God.

What is not an honest attempt is the complete removal of the name, and its replacement with an entirely different word: "LORD," or "GOD" (usually with an initial large capital letter followed by smaller capital letters) as found in most Bibles.
That is not correct. Jehovah is not an english transliteration, but an english mispronounciation of a germanic transliteration. Should the "J" be pronounced as a hard g as it usually pronounced in english or should it be pronounced as an english y? This latter is the sound attributed to it in german. Are those who speak Hebrew not refering to the God of Avraham, Yitzchak and Yacov, since they use the english y sound, ie, Yesha'yahu(Isaiah), Eliyahu(Elijah), Yirmeyahu(Jeremiah), ad infinitum?

Keef
Student

Post #46

Post by Keef »

teddy_trueblood wrote:

By doing one's best.

It's the eternal problem of translators. It's easy to explain why any given translation is "wrong", because there isn't a one-to-one correlation of words between one language and another. There is always another opinion.

The Hebrew Bible follows Jewish rules on not misusing the name of God. That's why you will often see Jewish people write G-d rather than God. The Hebrew text gives only the consonants of the divine name, which are known as the "tetragrammaton" - יהוה

However, later the matching vowel signs were written in the margin of the Hebrew Bible. To comply with that ruling, the vowels of the word Adonai (=Lord) were used in the divine name instead. Hence "Jehovah" - which is not a German version but is Yahweh with the vowel signs from Adonai substituted. Luther translated the tetragrammaton as "der HERR".

bluethread
Savant

Post #47

Post by bluethread »

Keef wrote: To comply with that ruling, the vowels of the word Adonai (=Lord) were used in the divine name instead. Hence "Jehovah" - which is not a German version but is Yahweh with the vowel signs from Adonai substituted. Luther translated the tetragrammaton as "der HERR".
I'll givr you that, but the letter "J" is pronounced as a had g in english. If I am not mistaked J-H-V-H is the transliterated equivalent of יהוה , in reverse order of course.

Keef
Student

Post #48

Post by Keef »

Yes, the English 'J' is harder than the Hebrew Yod. The German 'J' is far closer to Yod.

Y H W H is more accurate than J H W H and is what appears in most modern texts. However, in the time of the Authorised Version translation (known as 'KJV' in the USA) the received English reading of Yod was 'jot'. Hence the translation in Matthew 5: 18 where the AV copes with Yod (iota in the Greek) as "one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law..." - whether the readers would understand that is a moot question.

Luther, in his own impressive way, translates Mt 5:18 more helpfully - "wird nicht zergehen der kleinste Buchstabe...".

bluethread
Savant

Post #49

Post by bluethread »

Keef wrote:Yes, the English 'J' is harder than the Hebrew Yod. The German 'J' is far closer to Yod.

Y H W H is more accurate than J H W H and is what appears in most modern texts. However, in the time of the Authorised Version translation (known as 'KJV' in the USA) the received English reading of Yod was 'jot'. Hence the translation in Matthew 5: 18 where the AV copes with Yod (iota in the Greek) as "one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law..." - whether the readers would understand that is a moot question.

Luther, in his own impressive way, translates Mt 5:18 more helpfully - "wird nicht zergehen der kleinste Buchstabe...".
I was under the impression that "one jot or one tittle" refered to th accents and vowel markings, not any letter in particular. If I am correct this is another example of Yeshua acknowledging rabbinics.

Keef
Student

Post #50

Post by Keef »

bluethread wrote:I was under the impression that "one jot or one tittle" refered to th accents and vowel markings, not any letter in particular.
One does, one doesn't. The 'jot' is the Yod, which is a very small letter, little more than a tick-mark. It's the 'Y' (or 'J') of the tetragrammaton.

The 'tittle' is the little tail or hook on some Hebrew letters.