Is Euthanasia Morally Wrong?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

LukeyLuke
Student

Is Euthanasia Morally Wrong?

Post #1

Post by LukeyLuke »

While considering the teachings within the Bible (or not, if you aren't Christian) and/or the medical implications of a patient thinking of euthanasia, is euthanasia morally wrong? Explain your reasoning.

Donald
Student

Post #41

Post by Donald »

"But do you insist on making the same choice for others? Your sentiments may seem very noble to you, but can you allow that others in similar circumstances can make very different decisions and retain both their nobility and their dignity?"

I'm simply stating where I come from Danmark. I'm showing, through my experiences where I've been before, where I am now and where I'm heading soon. My hope is when others read my posts that they take a little something from my experiences into their own life (i.e. inner happiness, joy of life, peace of mind, integrity in heart.) I'm not demanding anything, just expressing my life's experiences for those in here to understand and perhap respect.

I may not accept how others live, but I still respect how others live.

Donald
Student

Post #42

Post by Donald »

"If ending suffering is good reason for killing, does it also mean that it is good if God ends suffering by killing all evil people?"

God expects that suffering will exist for humans forever because humans make decisions that can lead to suffering, right or wrong. To remove suffering from life on earth is like saying "Kill all human beings" because good people suffer and evil people suffer too.

It is also said to love your enemy because everybody deserves to be loved. But if you kill evil people, you can't love your enemy, can you 1213? All your enemies will die by human laws to allow violence to lead to more violence. Why would you want that?

Donald
Student

Post #43

Post by Donald »

"Welcome Donald!

Thank you for joining the forum. DC&R aims to be the most civil and engaging debate forum on Christianity and religion for people of all persuasions.

The rules here are strictly enforced, so be sure that you review the rules of the forum:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Most people don't take the time to read the rules, so let me point out two of the rules that should cover most of the situations. First, please be respectful of all posters and do not attack anyone. Second, when you start a debate topic, please state a clear question to debate in your post.

Some of the most commonly asked questions are covered in the sticky threads in the Announcements:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

To break the ice, please introduce yourself in the chat subforum with a little bit about yourself.

Also, note that sending PMs is restricted until you make 5 posts.

I hope that you enjoy your stay here and find the discussions civil, engaging, and enjoyable."

I have decided it is time I leave this forum. You can discontinue my registration by informing otseng. I don't deserve to be apart of this community. My brain is bleeding to death from a broken blood vessel. I do not always think straight. I made some errors in posting replies to other's posts. The critical nature of this forum is too much stress on me.

You can choose to believe me or not believe me. Your choice. I don't care anymore. I don't care what others think of me anyway. I thought that by expressing my life's experiences to others in here that I might sway others to also reach peace of mind, joy of life, inner happiness, and integrity in heart. I was wrong. The critical nature is not something I want anymore. That's all.

Peace Be With You All In this forum.

Savant

Post #44

Post by 1213 »

Donald wrote: It is also said to love your enemy because everybody deserves to be loved. But if you kill evil people, you can't love your enemy, can you 1213?
If God kills them softly, with his words, then maybe it is love? :)

I think no one deserves God’s love. And in my opinion it may be love, if God kills justly and fairly, if he so prevents suffering and evilness.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Is Euthanasia Morally Wrong?

Post #45

Post by Jagella »

LukeyLuke wrote: While considering the teachings within the Bible (or not, if you aren't Christian) and/or the medical implications of a patient thinking of euthanasia, is euthanasia morally wrong? Explain your reasoning.
I believe that euthanasia is morally wrong. I don't see it as true compassion but as contempt for people who are ill, injured, or old. If people really wanted to end the suffering of the ill, injured, or old, then why did they oppose laws like the Americans With Disabilities Act? Why don't we push for better care in hospitals and nursing homes?

It's very possible to make people's lives worth living with more compassion and respect for life with dignity. "Death with dignity" is an oxymoron.

And I know what I'm talking about. I've been a paraplegic for 36 years.

Jagella

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #46

Post by Danmark »

Jagella wrote:
LukeyLuke wrote: While considering the teachings within the Bible (or not, if you aren't Christian) and/or the medical implications of a patient thinking of euthanasia, is euthanasia morally wrong? Explain your reasoning.
I believe that euthanasia is morally wrong. I don't see it as true compassion but as contempt for people who are ill, injured, or old. If people really wanted to end the suffering of the ill, injured, or old, then why did they oppose laws like the Americans With Disabilities Act? Why don't we push for better care in hospitals and nursing homes?

It's very possible to make people's lives worth living with more compassion and respect for life with dignity. "Death with dignity" is an oxymoron.

Jagella
My father was quadriplegic for all of his 80 years. That did not stop him from running a successful business and fathering five children in both the biological and the social senses of that word.

I disagree with the idea of euthanasia, not just morally, and practically, but personally. Not just my father, but all of my siblings were/are considered valuable to others personally and to society in general. Some of them are even known and appreciated far beyond their immediate communities.

However, and again I have my father well in mind, there comes a time when a person has given what he can and can give no more. Or he may still be able to give, but should be respected for wanting to retire, to be relieved of the burden of living. When a person reaches this stage of his life he does not need further preaching or more attempts to make him feel guilty about wanting to leave. He's run the race to the finish; he's fought the good fight; he's earned his reward. He should be blessed and thanked and allowed to move on.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #47

Post by Goat »

Danmark wrote:
Jagella wrote:

Jagella
My father was quadriplegic for all of his 80 years. That did not stop him from running a successful business and fathering five children in both the biological and the social senses of that word.

I disagree with the idea of euthanasia, not just morally, and practically, but personally. Not just my father, but all of my siblings were/are considered valuable to others personally and to society in general. Some of them are even known and appreciated far beyond their immediate communities.

However, and again I have my father well in mind, there comes a time when a person has given what he can and can give no more. Or he may still be able to give, but should be respected for wanting to retire, to be relieved of the burden of living. When a person reaches this stage of his life he does not need further preaching or more attempts to make him feel guilty about wanting to leave. He's run the race to the finish; he's fought the good fight; he's earned his reward. He should be blessed and thanked and allowed to move on.
I think there is a difference between euthanasia, where someone else makes the choice on behalf of someone, and the 'assisted suicide' route. For example, that young woman who killed herself because she had terminal brain cancer, and when living got to the point she was a burden to herself as well as to others, she took barbiturates rather the suffer, and make her family suffer. That is certainly different than offing someone who still wants to stick around.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Danmark »

Goat wrote:
I think there is a difference between euthanasia, where someone else makes the choice on behalf of someone, and the 'assisted suicide' route. For example, that young woman who killed herself because she had terminal brain cancer, and when living got to the point she was a burden to herself as well as to others, she took barbiturates rather the suffer, and make her family suffer. That is certainly different than offing someone who still wants to stick around.
Absolutely! And that is part of the point of my piece. Also, those who would like to fade away should not be bullied by anyone, including the phony 'ideals' of their culture, to continue to 'fight the good fight' when they would prefer a dignified departure.

More difficult arise regarding the unborn and the newly born. Those questions are multifaceted. Let me raise just one. Today we have the capability of spending millions of dollars to preserve the life of a premature infant who has a small chance at life and even if the child survives, to have at best a marginal existence beset with severe retardation, blindness and worse.

In addition to other considerations, surely there is a limit to how scarce resources should be spent.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Jagella »

Danmark wrote:My father was quadriplegic for all of his 80 years. That did not stop him from running a successful business and fathering five children in both the biological and the social senses of that word.
Thanks for sharing this story. A person can live a good, full life if that person is allowed to do so. Who needs euthanasia when we can make other people's lives brighter?
Sure. Valuing people can and does make a big difference. I'm sure a major reason for people wanting to die is their not feeling valued by others.
How will we allow him to move on? I agree that people have the right to forego medical treatment if we have their consent to remove it.

Thanks for the input!

Jagella

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by Jagella »

Goat wrote:I think there is a difference between euthanasia, where someone else makes the choice on behalf of someone, and the 'assisted suicide' route. For example, that young woman who killed herself because she had terminal brain cancer, and when living got to the point she was a burden to herself as well as to others, she took barbiturates rather the suffer, and make her family suffer. That is certainly different than offing someone who still wants to stick around.
Should we allow only the sick to commit suicide or anyone who wishes to die?

Jagella