What is a True Christian?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Madeline
Apprentice

What is a True Christian?

Post #1

Post by Madeline »

How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline

Madeline
Apprentice

Post #41

Post by Madeline »

Ooooook! :whistle:

Love,
Madeline

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: What is a True Christian?

Post #42

Post by Confused »

FiredUp4jesus wrote:
Madeline wrote:How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline
Personally I define a christian as "one who follows the teachings of Christ." It seems to me that what you might really be talking about is salvation or "am I really saved if I am still commiting sins?" Am I correct?
So why is it that most Christians I know use the fail safe: "I have sinned yesterday, and confessed to it today" , I am forgiven, So I am a Christian. If you are to follow Christs teachings, then there is no exception to his teachings. This includes judging others, amongst a mountain load of other sins. But many Christians do in fact judge others, and most I know here judge each other amongst themselves. They compare their self righteousness against their neighbors.

Don't get me wrong, I am envious of those of you who don't fall into the hypocrite category, but for those of us who are lost and trying to find our way, tell me, how would we know who was a Christian of faith and who was one of convenience?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Easyrider

Post #43

Post by Easyrider »

Confused wrote: If you are to follow Christs teachings, then there is no exception to his teachings. This includes judging others, amongst a mountain load of other sins. But many Christians do in fact judge others, and most I know here judge each other amongst themselves. They compare their self righteousness against their neighbors.
Greetings.

First, a true Christian has the righteousness of Christ because they know from Scripture that they have none of their own. Compare that to non-believers who, at the final judgment, will have to rely on their own perceived sense of self-righteousness to try to make a case.

Second, regarding "judging," there's this:

"Judge not, and you will not be judged." (Matthew 7:1)

Jesus is not saying that we cannot make judgments about people's behaviors, he is saying that we should not be hypocrites if we do. In Matthew 7:5 he says, "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brothers eye."

God acknowledges the legitimacy of civil authorities to judge:

Romans 13:1-4: "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. (v. 4) For he (the reigning authority) is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of God's wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Also note Matthew 5:25; Acts 25:10-11)

God has commanded people to make correct judgments:

John 7:24: "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

Matthew 18:15-17: "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses (note Deuteronomy 19:15). If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector ."

I Corinthians 5:13: "Are you not to judge those inside (the church)? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."

I Corinthians 6:4: "Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church."

(also note 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15).

God commands us to judge according to one's 'fruits.'

Matthew 7:17-20: "Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.....every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

Saints of Christ will judge the world, and angels:

I Corinthians 6:2: "Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?"

I Corinthians 6:3: "Do you not know that we will judge angels?"

Jesus condemned the teachers of the law and the Pharisees:

Matthew 23:27-28: "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."

John the Baptist rebukes King Herod for adultery and other sins:

Luke 3:19: "But when John rebuked Herod the tetrarch because of Herodias, his brother's wife, and all the other things he had done, Herod added this to them all: He locked John up in prison."

Stephen rebukes the Jewish leaders:

Acts 7:51-53: "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him - you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it."

Also note all the Old Testament prophets who condemned sin and corrupt moral leadership, and who were persecuted for their discernment and duty.

Finally, when someone accuses you of being judgmental, are they not being critical and judgmental in making that accusation?

:D

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #44

Post by Confused »

Easyrider wrote:
Confused wrote: If you are to follow Christs teachings, then there is no exception to his teachings. This includes judging others, amongst a mountain load of other sins. But many Christians do in fact judge others, and most I know here judge each other amongst themselves. They compare their self righteousness against their neighbors.
Greetings.

First, a true Christian has the righteousness of Christ because they know from Scripture that they have none of their own. Compare that to non-believers who, at the final judgment, will have to rely on their own perceived sense of self-righteousness to try to make a case.

Second, regarding "judging," there's this:

"Judge not, and you will not be judged." (Matthew 7:1)

Jesus is not saying that we cannot make judgments about people's behaviors, he is saying that we should not be hypocrites if we do. In Matthew 7:5 he says, "You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brothers eye."

God acknowledges the legitimacy of civil authorities to judge:

Romans 13:1-4: "Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. (v. 4) For he (the reigning authority) is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of God's wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Also note Matthew 5:25; Acts 25:10-11)

God has commanded people to make correct judgments:

John 7:24: "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

Matthew 18:15-17: "If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses (note Deuteronomy 19:15). If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector ."

I Corinthians 5:13: "Are you not to judge those inside (the church)? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."

I Corinthians 6:4: "Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church."

(also note 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15).

God commands us to judge according to one's 'fruits.'

Matthew 7:17-20: "Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.....every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."

Saints of Christ will judge the world, and angels:

I Corinthians 6:2: "Do you not know that the saints will judge the world?"

I Corinthians 6:3: "Do you not know that we will judge angels?"

Jesus condemned the teachers of the law and the Pharisees:

Matthew 23:27-28: "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."

John the Baptist rebukes King Herod for adultery and other sins:

Luke 3:19: "But when John rebuked Herod the tetrarch because of Herodias, his brother's wife, and all the other things he had done, Herod added this to them all: He locked John up in prison."

Stephen rebukes the Jewish leaders:

Acts 7:51-53: "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him - you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it."

Also note all the Old Testament prophets who condemned sin and corrupt moral leadership, and who were persecuted for their discernment and duty.

Finally, when someone accuses you of being judgmental, are they not being critical and judgmental in making that accusation?

:D
While I hate the length of your text, you could have gotten your point across with half that, but I appreciate your honesty and the fact that you did not condemn me for my post. I can postulate that based on this post and on other posts from other threads that you might very well meet the criteria of a True Christian. Know that I may be a stranger to you, but this is the highest form of compliment that I might give in my lifetime.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Easyrider

Post #45

Post by Easyrider »

Thank you, Confused! O:)

pyrite
Student

Post #46

Post by pyrite »

Madeline wrote:How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline
I don't know a single Christian that doesnt struggle with sin, madeline. that doesnt rob a shred of your salvation or indicate an intrinsic problem with your relationship with God.
I struggle on a regular basis with sexual issues with my girlfriend who i'll be marrying in a year. we're both very 'physical' people, both committed Christians, and find ourselves stumbling into the same mistakes more than we'd like.. we have prayed and prayed over this issue. We still havent had actual penetrative sex but have found ourselves dangerously close on many an occasion, doing physical things that fall outside the realms of what we find biblically acceptable before marriage.

the real difficulty comes when you stop feeling the need for repentance, or the need for holiness. the fact that you're posting a question on this means you've got a heart after god, which puts you well and truly in the safe seat. sometimes we get so ok with our habitual sins that we stop thinking about the repercussions, stop putting them before God as a thing we need his help with. his grace is sufficient, his second chances never end, but we cant abuse his generosity by not PURSUING holiness, a thing we should take very seriously in our walk with God. we should never start to think that our vices have separated us from the love or care of God, or the strength of our salvation

Enrique
Student

Post #47

Post by Enrique »

I think nobody's has the right to judge you. Being a Christian is a decision on your own, so is the way you believe it should be practised. You learn Christianity from what's written in the bible and the doings and suggestions you ask for from the people you feel you can learn.
I think someone who wants to be a Christian should look carefully after how Jesus was like.
He stressed that love for each other is the most important thing, and the nearest example to that love could be mother's.
You can see that in most cases the relationship between a mother and his son may
pass through every common circunstance, but there's a background mutual feeling that supports everything else.
I believe that God is like a mother to us, and no matter what we do she will love us anyway.
Life can be very complex, so the only reference i usually take to know if i'm doing right is if my free present choice is trying to follow Jesus steps.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #48

Post by Confused »

Enrique wrote:I think nobody's has the right to judge you. Being a Christian is a decision on your own, so is the way you believe it should be practised. You learn Christianity from what's written in the bible and the doings and suggestions you ask for from the people you feel you can learn.
I think someone who wants to be a Christian should look carefully after how Jesus was like.
He stressed that love for each other is the most important thing, and the nearest example to that love could be mother's.
You can see that in most cases the relationship between a mother and his son may
pass through every common circunstance, but there's a background mutual feeling that supports everything else.
I believe that God is like a mother to us, and no matter what we do she will love us anyway.
Life can be very complex, so the only reference i usually take to know if i'm doing right is if my free present choice is trying to follow Jesus steps.
Very well stated. I know you are new to this site, but I hope to see your future posts continuing this same format.
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #49

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Madeline wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:08 am How do you define a true christian? I know that I am truly trying to repent from all the sins that are effecting my walk with God. However I do have one sin in particular that I struggle with and I engage in it all too often. Some of my friends tell me that those who practice sin aren't christians. I engage in this particular sin to frequently that to me it almost seems as if I am practicing it. But I want to turn away from it. Yet christians I know tell me that I am not a christian for doing this particular sin too often, and it hurts me. Comments?

Love,
Madeline
1) We would need to know the nature of your sin.

2) To ask if there are comments on your OP is a strange question for debate.
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"