Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Size of a Religion - or Cult

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

I have to say, this was the most remarkable, and unintentionally hillarious posts I have read in a long time.
anon2 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:54 am
anon1 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:11 pm Many religions and denominations take pride, even boast of how large their followers are in numbers and the rate at which they are growing. But the thread of truth that runs throughout the whole of the scriptures is that God has always worked through the minority and never through the majority. This teaches us that when people look at their large numbers and equate that with their reasoning of God working through them, well the Bible teaches quite the opposite.

There are numerous accounts in the Bible which teach this truth, but my favorite is regarding the 400 prophets of Israel who were called to inquire of God whether king Ahab should go into battle and obtain victory or not. And since these 400 prophets were prophets of Israel, and Israel was recognized as the people of God, then surely these 400 prophets were true prophets of God, right? Especially since they all came to the same conclusion and spoke with one voice unto the king saying that God would surely give this king victory. Yet one one man is called to see what God had to say and he told the king that the king would die in battle and that these 400 prophets were false prophets.

But what's more, is that these 400 prophets truly believed that they were true children of God and that the one lone prophet wasn't. This is a tremendous warning to those who find comfort and assurance in the size of their religious group who claim the name of God. Anyone can read this account in 1 Kings 22.

What do you think about God always working through the minority? What do you think about those groups who firmly believe they are the people of God but are in fact not?
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I actually agree with what you’ve written. 😁

Imho, many denominations are in for a rude awakening.
Obviously, this is what you'd say if you believe in a small sect or cult! What a way to justify your belief - that only rare beliefs are true! It's downright, abjectly hillarious! This is "Motivated reasoning" at it's finest.

It's why I think religion damages the brain. Some people actually think this is a justification of why their beliefs may be true! It's patently absurd!

These people vote, possibly raise and teach our children, etc.

No doubt this was preceded by someone from a mega church, or the RCC saying that their sect was more popular - so, instead of simply agreeing, they've decided to use it as an Apologetic.

Isn't this a perfect example of Apologetics? The motivation, the bad logic, etc? To me it is.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Size of a Religion - or Cult

Post #51

Post by Clownboat »

1213 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:33 am In Bible death penalty is possible.
Encouraged would be more likely. They were bloodthirsty times though when humans penned these books, so it is to be expected. Now if the book was ahead of its time, that would have been something. The Bible is a product of the eras it was written in though.
That is not the same as murder, which is unlawful killing.

That is just one reason that men invented the gods. To make evil not evil. It's still evil though and I don't care what god concept anyone claims told them to murder. Murder is wrong even if a person chooses to believe in a god.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.”
― Voltaire
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

brunumb
Savant

Post #52

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:44 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:31 am If God says, kill your son, daughter or partner, do you do it?
Why would I think it is God speaking, when God has told "don't murder"?
When God has killed does that qualify as murder? I think you would say no. So, if it is a command from God then it must be lawful and therefore not murder.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

brunumb
Savant

Post #53

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:32 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:47 pm Oh Dear. Because God told Abraham to kill his son and he would have done it if God didn't say stop. There were times He let the killing go ahead. You assume that God would never tell you anything bad, but IF God did, how would you know it wasn't Him?
Had God told to Abraham before that "don't murder"? I think the Abraham case is also different in that God had made a promise to Abraham, which is why he didn't think his son could really die, which makes it very different case.
Then what was the point of the exercise?

Does the story of Abraham and Isaac have a message for the people? Maybe.

"Listen up people. God told Abraham to kill his son. Even though it would have been the hardest thing on earth for him to do, Abraham obeyed and was prepared to do whatever God asked of him. As we priests are God's spokesmen here on earth, you should also do whatever we ask you to do in his name, no matter how hard you might find it. Now, we are getting hungry and God says you should bring us lunch."
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #54

Post by TRANSPONDER »

That seems to be the message. God issued a code of laws, but if he says 'break them' the faithful do it. Unless, as our pal says, you think it is against God's laws and so you say 'This can't be God talking'. If so the right thing for Abraham to say was 'This can't really be God talking'. How do we resolve this dilemma? Apart from saying, as we goddless do, "This Bible makes no sense".

Savant

Post #55

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:19 pm When God has killed does that qualify as murder?
Because God has given life, I think He has then also right to decide how long life He gives. That is why I don't think God is a murderer, even if He ends someones life.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #56

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:37 am
brunumb wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:19 pm When God has killed does that qualify as murder?
Because God has given life, I think He has then also right to decide how long life He gives. That is why I don't think God is a murderer, even if He ends someones life.
Still dreadful. God ought to have respect for life. Even humans, if they create something rather good, though they have the right to destroy it I suppose, know it is a moral offence. But the excuse is that if God says so, wipe them out. We all know the problem here, and the problem on top of the problem - the believers have the capacity to think that evil is justified, if their God - that is, their own beliefs - say so.

This to all reasonable people, supposing we still have reasonable people - ought to be the red flag, the siren and the flashing warning lights that religion cannot be allowed power, authority and control, as It cannot be trusted to be ethical. I know secular politicians, dictators and demagogues do the same, because they are the same, but at least we know that's what they do. Apart from televangelists faith healers and fakers, which I think are generally 'sussed' mainstream religion, preachers, evangelists and apologists are not yet sussed.

And it is astonishing how good a job they have done of brainwashing the people so even the irreligious think it is a Good Thing to attend church.

brunumb
Savant

Post #57

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:37 am
Now address the issue. If it is a command from God then it must be lawful and therefore not murder.

Savant

Post #58

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:17 pm ...If it is a command from God then it must be lawful and therefore not murder.
I don't think God commands killing, but, if God would command killing, it should still go by the other rules also.

Savant

Post #59

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am God ought to have respect for life.
I think God cares much of life. If He ends it, there is a really good reason for that.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 am...But the excuse is that if God says so, wipe them out. ...
If people go by Biblical rules, they don't kill others. On the contrary, more likely they will be killed by those who are not loyal to Bible God.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:41 amThis to all reasonable people, supposing we still have reasonable people - ought to be the red flag, the siren and the flashing warning lights that religion cannot be allowed power, authority and control, as It cannot be trusted to be ethical....
I think no human should have power, authority and control over other humans.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:44 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:17 pm ...If it is a command from God then it must be lawful and therefore not murder.
I don't think God commands killing, but, if God would command killing, it should still go by the other rules also.
You don't think God commands killing? Why not? Did you ask him?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm