Everyone is doing their best...

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

fortunateboy

Everyone is doing their best...

Post #1

Post by fortunateboy »

Hi everyone. Just stumbled on this site and it appears to be one of the most civil and thoughtful of the religious debate sites I've come across.

I love religion - thinking about it, talking about it and practicing it. I've been a student of religion since I was 16 and I'm pushing 50 now.

I have settled on Tibetan Buddhism as my religion of choice, but I also read scriptures and commentary on other paths and derive much inspiration, and surprisingly, confirmation of my chosen path from this extracurricular study. I suppose this is because of the similarities between the various paths.

I was talking to my teacher one day and telling him about how our daughter was exhibiting an interest in Buddhism. His reply I found very interesting: "That's nice. But more important than being a Buddhist is that she grows up to be a compassionate person, a kind person, a loving person." I found this to be wise counsel, and confirmation of something I've always thought, that everyone is doing their best, and in the big scheme of things, that's good enough.

Comments?

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you consider this site to be one of the most civil sites on debating religion. If I start a collection of testimonies of this site, mind if I quote you? :)

Since your topic doesn't really have a debate question and it's more geared toward an introduction of yourself, I'll be moving this to the chat subforum.

However, feel free to start a thread in the "Other Religions" subforum to debate specific points of Buddhism. Or perhaps other member could start one.

Amphigorey
Student

Post #3

Post by Amphigorey »

Fortunateboy,
I would be interested in hearing why you chose Tibetan Buddhism as opposed to another form of Buddhism.

Please start a Buddist thread in the Other Religions section.
H is for Hector done in by thugs.

fortunateboy

Tibetan Buddhism

Post #4

Post by fortunateboy »

OK - I'll give it a shot. See my answer to your question soon in the new Buddhist thread.