The Hollywood 'culture' has made sin acceptable.

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Can Christians defeat the Hollywood 'culture?'

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 13

ChristianFreeThinker

The Hollywood 'culture' has made sin acceptable.

Post #1

Post by ChristianFreeThinker »

Hollywood is a excellent example of where the United States of America is heading with respect to the sociopolitical scene. Call it a microcosm of the United States if you will.

As we all know, Hollywood is a culture that promotes sin. Taking the Lord's name in vain, premarital fornication as well as outright rejection of the Lord are just a smidgen of the sin that one is exposed to by the Hollywood culture.

Additionally, one may be well aware that Hollywood is the 3rd most-spread media to run through the veins of America. The first of course is the word of God. The second of is the liberal media (more on them later). Third is the culture of Hollywood.

So knowing this, it's obvious that when children and adults alike are subjected to constant barrage of messages, their subconscious will prefer these messages and ultimately accept these ideas as normal.

Every single day, people are exposed to Hollywood's influence whether they know it or not. At the store, gas station, and especially in public schools. After decades of being subjected to these messages, people will start to feel that it's ok to accept these messages. I understand. When in Rome do like the Romans do correct? WRONG. This is a FALSE Rome. Eventually, people think it's ok to reject the Lord because everyone else around them appears to do so.

This is how Hollywood creates a false culture to lure people into it and make people turn away from God.

I'm sure that if we Christians were able to match Hollywood's message barrage (of course ONLY using the word of God) we could show that sinful Hollywood 'culture' who is more powerful.

The Almighty Lord of course!

God Bless everyone.

sheep
Student

Post #2

Post by sheep »

God Bless everyone.
And gOD bless u 2 friend O:)

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Re: The Hollywood 'culture' has made sin acceptable.

Post #3

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

ChristianFreeThinker wrote:Hollywood is a excellent example of where the United States of America is heading with respect to the sociopolitical scene. Call it a microcosm of the United States if you will.

As we all know, Hollywood is a culture that promotes sin. Taking the Lord's name in vain, premarital fornication as well as outright rejection of the Lord are just a smidgen of the sin that one is exposed to by the Hollywood culture.

Additionally, one may be well aware that Hollywood is the 3rd most-spread media to run through the veins of America. The first of course is the word of God. The second of is the liberal media (more on them later). Third is the culture of Hollywood.

So knowing this, it's obvious that when children and adults alike are subjected to constant barrage of messages, their subconscious will prefer these messages and ultimately accept these ideas as normal.

Every single day, people are exposed to Hollywood's influence whether they know it or not. At the store, gas station, and especially in public schools. After decades of being subjected to these messages, people will start to feel that it's ok to accept these messages. I understand. When in Rome do like the Romans do correct? WRONG. This is a FALSE Rome. Eventually, people think it's ok to reject the Lord because everyone else around them appears to do so.

This is how Hollywood creates a false culture to lure people into it and make people turn away from God.

I'm sure that if we Christians were able to match Hollywood's message barrage (of course ONLY using the word of God) we could show that sinful Hollywood 'culture' who is more powerful.

God Bless everyone.
Hollywood is awful for many reasons, chief among them the fact that 90% of the movies they make are utter crap, but I find it very hard to believe that the entire thing is a gigantic conspiracy to promote atheism. Exactly what evidence do you have of this conspiracy, or is it just more of a general feeling that Hollywood and its movies are "un-Christian"?

ChristianFreeThinker

Post #4

Post by ChristianFreeThinker »

Homicidal_Cherry53 wrote:but I find it very hard to believe that the entire thing is a gigantic conspiracy to promote atheism. Exactly what evidence do you have of this conspiracy, or is it just more of a general feeling that Hollywood and its movies are "un-Christian"?
Did I say Hollywood was promoting atheism? No. I said it promoted non-christian values. Look at the 10 Commandments and see how many movies/tv/commercials follow the 10 Commandments.

May God have mercy on your soul.

DirtDon'tLie

Post #5

Post by DirtDon'tLie »

ChristianFreeThinker wrote:
Did I say Hollywood was promoting atheism? No. I said it promoted non-christian values. Look at the 10 Commandments and see how many movies/tv/commercials follow the 10 Commandments.
It'd make for a pretty bad movie if everybody just sat around obeying the 10 commandments.

True Believer
Student

Post #6

Post by True Believer »

Defeat Hollywood? To what purpose? Yes, I agree that the entertainment industry may promote immoral lifestyles, but my main problem with the entertainment industry is the dumbing-down of the general population. Did you know that the average American spends 6 hours in front of the television everyday? In all honesty, when I heard this, I got rid of my cable box.

Christianity will never "win" against things like the entertainment industry because the Christian life is boring, and sex sells. There is really no way around that. No one wants to pay to sit and watch a 2 hour episode of "7th Heaven" (that show was so boring). Not only that, but it is the Christian attitude of "Not of this world" that will never allow them to break any "hold" that media has on the general population.

Once you realized that you are of this world, and no different from the rest of us, then maybe you will see.

Side note: Why did you make any word referring to God bold?

transient

Post #7

Post by transient »

ChristianFreeThinker wrote:Hollywood is a excellent example of where the United States of America is heading with respect to the sociopolitical scene. Call it a microcosm of the United States if you will.

You are confusing your own argument here. If the word of God is the most-spread media and it's "obvious" that when children and adults are subjected to a constant barrage of messages, why do you feel that the 3rd most-spread media is gaining ground? Shouldn't God's word be taking over since it's the most-spread media?

God Bless everyone.
Here's a question or two for you. Why are there no pay per view religious channels? Why does just about every hotel offer an "adult" movie selection instead of a "religous" selection?

Hollywood reflects the values of its consumers. It doesn't drive them. You can't sell a product people don't want.

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #8

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

transient wrote: Hollywood reflects the values of its consumers. It doesn't drive them. You can't sell a product people don't want.
This brings up an interesting question. Does society influence art and culture, or is it influenced by them?

Logomachist
Student

Movies: Could be better, could be worse

Post #9

Post by Logomachist »

If the societies movies portray were as corrupt and morally bankrupt as certain elements of L.A. are I think we would all be worse off than we are. As it is, I have mixed feelings about the fiction our movie industry puts out, but addressing the evil and corruption that plagues L.A. itself is a matter for another post.

On one hand, protagonists are generally anti-heroes which make (at best) imperfect role models. Clergy are mostly depicted as being corrupt. I don't accept that this is a narrative necessity; you can tell interesting stories (even violent stories) about moral struggles and paladins. Anime manages to do this but western literature seems stuck in a rut. We (not just Hollywood but all forms of fiction) use anti-heroes because they are a cliche that's so ingrained into writers' psyches that they don't realize how limited and predictable their stories are. I have a writer friend who says that anti-heroes are harder to write because of the difficulty in getting the audience to sympathize with a somewhat evil character. I disagree. I think writers use them because are easier to identify with and create conflict, but writers (including my friend) are so trained by modern media that they don't realize that there's any other way to write than the way they're used to.

That said, the stories Hollywood generally tells are "good vs. evil" stories, and good generally wins. Flawed protagonists ARE sometimes necessary, and none of us lead perfect lives and if we want to keep things realistic that means showing our imperfections on screen. So things could be worse. I just wish that there were more positive depictions to balance out the negative ones.

Homicidal_Cherry53 wrote:Does society influence art and culture, or is it influenced by them?
Obviously Hollywood scripts are written by people who are influenced by other scripts; the movies and TV shows produced in turn influence culture and are influenced by culture. It's a give and take.