Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Unworthiness

Post #1

Post by justifyothers »

Christians & Unworthiness -

This topic has bothered me for some time. Much of Christian doctrine is based on the teachings of Paul. We all know this. Nothing new here. He preaches that we are unworthy of God’s love. That we are deviant sinners from the start.

This doctrine is supported by many preachers from the pulpit, on television, on the radio and in private bible studies. Some are more dramatic with the force in which they teach it, while some are more sublime with this message. Either way, it’s out there for all to hear.

Now, another typical Christian doctrine s that of the sacrifice of Jesus. There are basically two schools of thought on this – either he was a son of God or he WAS God in the flesh. In both circumstances, Jesus obviously felt that we were ‘worthy’ enough to give his life for us, and God approved this action.

There is no doubt we are not a perfect race. The idea that we ‘sin’/make mistakes is not the issue here. It is our worthiness/unworthiness I would like to discuss. But whether you believe we simply make mistakes and learn from them and move on – or that we are evil sinners and can do no right……the question remains…….why would God/Jesus deem us worthy enough to die for and forgive these transgressions, yet we cannot get over it and move on? Why can’t we accept the gift of forgiveness, life and love and get on with our lives? Why must this idea of lowliness be drilled into our heads? Jesus is recorded of speaking often on the subject of giving – giving freely, without regret, without keeping tabs, etc. Yet, are we to believe that this is how He/God gives? (I love you – but you don’t deserve it)

Let’s look at this from a practical life stance. If someone feels unworthy of their mother’s love, this person may seek counseling to help with this issue. The therapist wants to lay a new foundation of self-worth. This is because a feeling of insecurity and inferiority is not healthy for us. Why then, do we accept this feeling when it comes to God’s love? If we do not feel worthy of love, how can we possibly give love freely to others?

I’m not saying we are equals to God or great creatures of some sort. I’m suggesting that we are actually worthy of His love. I believe this is why He created us – so that we can humbly & gratefully accept His love and be truly free to love others. This, IMO, is the gift and the glad tidings. Perhaps we should truly accept the act of Jesus – realizing that if we weren’t worthy, he wouldn’t have died for us, and/or God wouldn’t have approved this.

I think if we can continue to make mistakes and learn from them – becoming closer to the nature of God – we are essentially doing God’s will. (IMO – this is to become more loving people) If we continue to wallow in the swamps of inferiority, we are not genuinely accepting the gift of love.

Agree?
Disagree?
[/b]

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Re: Unworthiness

Post #11

Post by justifyothers »

"drs" wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
We're not talking about being able to save yourself. We are talking about being 'worthy' of God's love. Go on all you want about being able to save yourself - I probably won't argue. However, do you feel "worthy" of God's love?
"drs" wrote:
Please quote the scipture that says we were worthy to be saved.

I looked up worthy and Honestly I can not think of a single thing that would make me worthy of GOD'S love or to be saved, I am sorry I do not posses these qualities.
I appreciate your effort here. Can I ask you one thing? Have you asked your heart if God's gift was genuine - or not? In reality, this is a thing between you & your maker. Not so much the bible, but your relationship with God. What do you come up with in that area?

drs
Sage

Post #12

Post by drs »

justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
We're not talking about being able to save yourself. We are talking about being 'worthy' of God's love. Go on all you want about being able to save yourself - I probably won't argue. However, do you feel "worthy" of God's love?
"drs" wrote:

I looked up worthy and Honestly I can not think of a single thing that would make me worthy of GOD'S love or to be saved, I am sorry I do not posses these qualities.
I appreciate your effort here. Can I ask you one thing? Have you asked your heart if God's gift was genuine - or not? In reality, this is a thing between you & your maker. Not so much the bible, but your relationship with God. What do you come up with in that area?
Are you asking if my salvation is real? then yes

The scripture is GOD'S word, so this has everything to do with truth and the gift of salvation to those who believe in CHRIST.

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by justifyothers »

drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:

The scripture is GOD'S word, so this has everything to do with truth and the gift of salvation to those who believe in CHRIST.
So, you don't feel worthy of God's love even though He must have thought us worthy enough to sacrifice His son. That act alone doesn't say anything to you as far as being worth saving/meaningful?

I don't doubt that you believe you are saved. The fact that you are might tell you that you are worthy of it - why not? What's wrong with feeling that God sees worth in us?

No - it's not a pride thing with me at all - I said earlier that the gift of God's love should be humbly and gratefully accepted. I just think that the act of Jesus says it all.
You asked for a scripture - I don't know of one, but honestly, I didn't look. Do you have one from Jesus saying we are not worthy? I can't recall any........

drs
Sage

Post #14

Post by drs »

justifyothers wrote:
drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:

So, you don't feel worthy of God's love even though He must have thought us worthy enough to sacrifice His son. That act alone doesn't say anything to you as far as being worth saving/meaningful?

I don't doubt that you believe you are saved. The fact that you are might tell you that you are worthy of it - why not? What's wrong with feeling that God sees worth in us?

You are asking me how I feel again,

Am I worthy?

Here lets take a closer look at what worthy means.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/worthy
wor·thy (wûr)
adj. wor·thi·er, wor·thi·est
1. Having worth, merit, or value; useful or valuable.
Before CHRIST gave me a new life. I had no worth or value that I could see and I most certainly was not usefull to GOD what so ever.

2. Honorable; admirable: a worthy fellow.
I was not honorable or admirable, I was vile.

3. Having sufficient worth; deserving: worthy to be revered; worthy of acclaim

I most certainly was not to be revered nor am I now.

No - it's not a pride thing with me at all - I said earlier that the gift of God's love should be humbly and gratefully accepted. I just think that the act of Jesus says it all.
You asked for a scripture - I don't know of one, but honestly, I didn't look. Do you have one from Jesus saying we are not worthy? I can't recall any........
Ok I went to bible gateway and did a keyword search for worthy to what we come up with

I will quote the ones from the gospel and see what we get, I will stick to worthy in the sight of the LORD and what we are speaking of here.

Matthew 3:8 (New King James Version)
8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance

Matthew 3:11 (New King James Version)
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire

Matthew 8:8 (New King James Version)
8 The centurion answered and said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.

Matthew 10:37 (New King James Version)
37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me

Matthew 10:38 (New King James Version)
38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me

Luke 15:21 (New King James Version)
21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

Luke 20:35 (New King James Version)
35 [u]But those who are counted worthy [/u]to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

I read all these scripture as I lay them out for you here and I don't feel worthy and I don't feel deserving of any thing that GOD has granted me.

But in GOD'S great love, mercy and grace He as decided to grant me a life with true purpose and meaning and I am forever thankfull with all the love in my heart.

If we look into the epistles we will find much talk about being worthy to your calling in CHRIST

Ephesians 4:1 (New King James Version)

Ephesians 4
Walk in Unity
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called,

Philippians 1:27 (New King James Version)

Striving and Suffering for Christ

27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel,

Colossians 1:10 (New King James Version)
10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

Thessalonians 2:12 (New King James Version)
12 that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.

Here is a good example, look at what GOD said to Ezekiel only these 3 men out of all the land would be delivered by their righteousness.

How can I count myself worthy that my LORD would have to come down and die on the cross because it was the only way that I may have life, that CHRIST'S HOLY BLOOD may cover my sin and give life to my soul otherwise there is only death for me and all others who will not repent and forsake sin.

Ezekiel 14

Judgment on Persistent Unfaithfulness

12 The word of the LORD came again to me, saying: 13 “Son of man, when a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My hand against it; I will cut off its supply of bread, send famine on it, and cut off man and beast from it. 14 Even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness,� says the Lord GOD.
15 “If I cause wild beasts to pass through the land, and they empty it, and make it so desolate that no man may pass through because of the beasts, 16 even though these three men were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither sons nor daughters; only they would be delivered, and the land would be desolate. 17 “Or if I bring a sword on that land, and say, ‘Sword, go through the land,’ and I cut off man and beast from it, 18 even though these three men were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither sons nor daughters, but only they themselves would be delivered. 19[u] “Or if I send a pestilence into that land and pour out My fury on it in blood, and cut off from it man and beast, 20 even though Noah, Daniel, and Job were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither son nor daughter; they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness.� [/u
21 For thus says the Lord GOD: “How much more it shall be when I send My four severe judgments on Jerusalem—the sword and famine and wild beasts and pestilence—to cut off man and beast from it? 22 Yet behold, there shall be left in it a remnant who will be brought out, both sons and daughters; surely they will come out to you, and you will see their ways and their doings. Then you will be comforted concerning the disaster that I have brought upon Jerusalem, all that I have brought upon it. 23 And they will comfort you, when you see their ways and their doings; and you shall know that I have done nothing without cause that I have done in it,� says the Lord GOD.

THERE IS OLNY ONE WHO IS TRULY WORTHY

Worthy Is the Lamb
8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

“ You are worthy to take the scroll,
And to open its seals;
For You were slain,
And have redeemed us to God by Your blood

Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,
10 And have made us[d] kings[e] and priests to our God;
And we[f] shall reign on the earth.�

11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice:

“ Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom,
And strength and honor and glory and blessing!�

13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

“ Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!�[g]

14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!� And the twenty-four[h] elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

justifyothers
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by justifyothers »

drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote:

Am I worthy?

wor·thy (wûr)
Before CHRIST gave me a new life. I had no worth or value that I could see and I most certainly was not usefull to GOD what so ever.

Ok I went to bible gateway and did a keyword search for worthy to what we come up with

I will quote the ones from the gospel and see what we get, I will stick to worthy in the sight of the LORD and what we are speaking of here.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire

8 The centurion answered and said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed.

37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me

21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

35 [u]But those who are counted worthy [/u]to attain that age, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry nor are given in marriage;

I read all these scripture as I lay them out for you here and I don't feel worthy and I don't feel deserving of any thing that GOD has granted me.

But in GOD'S great love, mercy and grace He as decided to grant me a life with true purpose and meaning and I am forever thankfull with all the love in my heart.

If we look into the epistles we will find much talk about being worthy to your calling in CHRIST

Ephesians 4
Walk in Unity
1 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called,

27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel,

10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;

12 that you would walk worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory.

Here is a good example, look at what GOD said to Ezekiel only these 3 men out of all the land would be delivered by their righteousness.

How can I count myself worthy that my LORD would have to come down and die on the cross because it was the only way that I may have life, that CHRIST'S HOLY BLOOD may cover my sin and give life to my soul otherwise there is only death for me and all others who will not repent and forsake sin.

Ezekiel 14

12 The word of the LORD came again to me, saying: 13 “Son of man, when a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My hand against it; I will cut off its supply of bread, send famine on it, and cut off man and beast from it. 14 Even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness,� says the Lord GOD.
15 “If I cause wild beasts to pass through the land, and they empty it, and make it so desolate that no man may pass through because of the beasts, 16 even though these three men were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither sons nor daughters; only they would be delivered, and the land would be desolate. 17 “Or if I bring a sword on that land, and say, ‘Sword, go through the land,’ and I cut off man and beast from it, 18 even though these three men were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither sons nor daughters, but only they themselves would be delivered. 19[u] “Or if I send a pestilence into that land and pour out My fury on it in blood, and cut off from it man and beast, 20 even though Noah, Daniel, and Job were in it, as I live,� says the Lord GOD, “they would deliver neither son nor daughter; they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness.� [/u
21 For thus says the Lord GOD: “How much more it shall be when I send My four severe judgments on Jerusalem—the sword and famine and wild beasts and pestilence—to cut off man and beast from it? 22 Yet behold, there shall be left in it a remnant who will be brought out, both sons and daughters; surely they will come out to you, and you will see their ways and their doings. Then you will be comforted concerning the disaster that I have brought upon Jerusalem, all that I have brought upon it. 23 And they will comfort you, when you see their ways and their doings; and you shall know that I have done nothing without cause that I have done in it,� says the Lord GOD.

Worthy Is the Lamb
8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. 9 And they sang a new song, saying:

And to open its seals;
For You were slain,

11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice:

13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:

14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!� And the twenty-four[h] elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.

Wow! You did a lot of research here - thank you for that. After reading everything, it appears that you feel worthy NOW because of God's spirit within. I feel the same way and to add to that - I think God sees our potential and finds us worthy. This is all I am saying. So, I think we actually agree:

Because God saw that you could potentially BE worthy - that MADE you worthy to Him. IOW, if God saw no chance of this - why the sacrifice?

So, am I correct in understanding that you feel worthy NOW, but think that before God, you were not?

drs
Sage

Post #16

Post by drs »

justifyothers wrote:
drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
drs wrote:
justifyothers wrote:
"drs" wrote: I appreciate your effort here. Can I ask you one thing? Have you asked your heart if God's gift was genuine - or not? In reality, this is a thing between you & your maker. Not so much the bible, but your relationship with God. What do you come up with in that area?

Am I worthy?

wor·thy (wûr)

Ephesians 4
Walk in Unity

Ezekiel 14

Worthy Is the Lamb

And to open its seals;
For You were slain,

Wow! You did a lot of research here - thank you for that. After reading everything, it appears that you feel worthy NOW because of God's spirit within. I feel the same way and to add to that - I think God sees our potential and finds us worthy. This is all I am saying. So, I think we actually agree:

Because God saw that you could potentially BE worthy - that MADE you worthy to Him. IOW, if God saw no chance of this - why the sacrifice?

So, am I correct in understanding that you feel worthy NOW, but think that before God, you were not?

I don't know how you came up with that from what I wrote,

I don't feel worthy, I am not worthy, I will never be worthy,

But thats Ok , because I am truly thankfull for the blessed life my LORD has granted me and I know it is a great gift and the greatest honor of all to be a slave of CHRIST.

Take a close look at the meaning of worthy again

Quote:
wor·thy (wûr)

Quote:

Quote:

Now I will answer these as reborn slave of CHRIST

1) I am in the process of being made usefull to GOD by CHRIST working in me.

So all GLORY to GOD for what He is doing in me, There is nothing worthy on my part, This is the act of GOD who is working in me to make me usefull to CHRIST.

2) Same as above, If I become honorable it will be because of the HOLY SPIRIT who has changed me from within, so again all GLORY to GOD

3) I am not worthy to be revered,

All are to worship, love and serve GOD with all devotion of their souls.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Zzyzx »

The following is the best commercial AGAINST Christianity that I have read recently.

I have no doubt that the poster is sincere in what he says conveying an attitude of abject unworthiness, worthlessness, slavery – all "for the glory of god".

But thats Ok , because I am truly thankfull for the blessed life my LORD has granted me and I know it is a great gift and the greatest honor of all to be a slave of CHRIST.

So all GLORY to GOD for what He is doing in me, There is nothing worthy on my part, This is the act of GOD who is working in me to make me usefull to CHRIST.

2) Same as above, If I become honorable it will be because of the HOLY SPIRIT who has changed me from within, so again all GLORY to GOD

To whom does that attitude appeal?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

drs
Sage

Post #18

Post by drs »

Zzyzx wrote:.
The following is the best commercial AGAINST Christianity that I have read recently.
Why?

I have no doubt that the poster is sincere in what he says conveying an attitude of abject unworthiness, worthlessness, slavery – all "for the glory of god".

To whom does that attitude appeal?

I suppose it does not appeal to anyone who has not truly been changed by GOD, it is how I feel in my heart because of what CHRIST has done for me.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by Zzyzx »

drs wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:The following is the best commercial AGAINST Christianity that I have read recently.
Why?
In my opinion most people are not seeking ways to feel worthless and are not seeking to be slaves.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Flail

Agree

Post #20

Post by Flail »

I agree with the OP....

The guilt of the downtrodden is a primary motivation for the Christian Church business model....looking for customers...looking for money...as if God and salvation from your supposed sinful disgusting nature can be found in books,memberships,dogma and rituals.

...I guess as long as you are sinful and disgusting and a Christian,God will love you...but if you are sinful and disgusting and a Muslim or a Jew or an agnostic or atheistic...God will see you in Hell....what a f....d up philosophy.