Should Darwin Be Knighted?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

micatala
Site Supporter

Should Darwin Be Knighted?

Post #1

Post by micatala »

" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Scotracer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Scotracer »

Considering that people have been Knighted for far less, this is a no-brainer. The man is up there with Newton, Einstein and Curie as great people who've contributed so much to science as to cause a major paradigm shift in their fields.
Why Evolution is True
Universe from nothing

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
- Christopher Hitchens

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

If Mick Jagger is a Knight, Darwin should be King.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by micatala »

Yeah, I would have to say if Mick and Elton and Paul can be knights, Charles belongs too.

Also, I noted the following:
In 1859, Lord Palmerston proposed to Queen Victoria that Charles Darwin should be conferred a knighthood. The proposal was abandoned, however, when Bishop Wilberforce intervened to stop the idea as it contradicted the beliefs his religion held on how humans were created. As it was proposed while he was alive but refused on religious grounds I personally believe that this qualifies as a disservice to the process of Knighthood. It was religious persecution, only 'religious logic' was taken as evidence for abandonment. His life's work changed the world forever, he did not set out to claim or nor did he ever claim to defy the existence of god yet was removed from consideration as it went against the teaching of a select number of religions. Therefore I believe the process of attaining knighthood for Darwin was unfairly guided and subjugated purely on the basis of religious persecution at the time. We live in a different age now, I do believe that rectifying this matters.

I was not aware of this. It suggests to me the common creationist accusations that evolution was specifically developed to deny the Bible is another case of projection on their part. Scientists did not start this round of the war of world views, some theists did.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn