Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

naz
Banned
Banned

Pagans, Wiccans and other beliefs!@#

Post #1

Post by naz »

Can someone tell me the difference between a Pagan and a Wiccan. You can say they are the same, but for some reason I don’t agree. I think a Pagan would be a traditionalist while a Wiccan would be more of a ritual-ist or in line with rituals that debunk other religions. Does that make any sense to anyone? Can someone further explain this that might know more on the subject than me?

I have always followed Christ, yet at the same time I hold a few pagan beliefs. I believe there must be a balance between powers of good and evil. For example, most people let their religion take control of them instead of taking control of their religion. There is no balance in that. If you are a pagan this may sound familiar to ancient Egyptian mythology. Christians also believe in harmony, as well as other religions, the only problem is a lot of people don’t make that commitment and follow through with it. I see Jesus as someone who operates on both sides of the fence. So I tend to do the same.

So someone tell me is it possible to be a follower of Christ and still have some traditional pagan beliefs? If not give me some reasons why it isn’t possible. If you are a Christian and have an opinion on this matter then feel free to post your comments as well. If you feel this might relate to you in some shape form or fashion and you don’t align yourself with Christ or traditional paganism then feel free to post here as well. I’m looking for some serious feedback, no crap. So keep your posts legit.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Pagans, Wiccans and other beliefs!@#

Post #2

Post by Goat »

naz wrote:Can someone tell me the difference between a Pagan and a Wiccan. You can say they are the same, but for some reason I don’t agree. I think a Pagan would be a traditionalist while a Wiccan would be more of a ritual-ist or in line with rituals that debunk other religions. Does that make any sense to anyone? Can someone further explain this that might know more on the subject than me?

I have always followed Christ, yet at the same time I hold a few pagan beliefs. I believe there must be a balance between powers of good and evil. For example, most people let their religion take control of them instead of taking control of their religion. There is no balance in that. If you are a pagan this may sound familiar to ancient Egyptian mythology. Christians also believe in harmony, as well as other religions, the only problem is a lot of people don’t make that commitment and follow through with it. I see Jesus as someone who operates on both sides of the fence. So I tend to do the same.

So someone tell me is it possible to be a follower of Christ and still have some traditional pagan beliefs? If not give me some reasons why it isn’t possible. If you are a Christian and have an opinion on this matter then feel free to post your comments as well. If you feel this might relate to you in some shape form or fashion and you don’t align yourself with Christ or traditional paganism then feel free to post here as well. I’m looking for some serious feedback, no crap. So keep your posts legit.
A Pagan is any religion that is not an Abrahamic religion. The Wiccians are a specific subset of nature worshipers that are an attempt to be a reconstruction of the Druids ( I suspect they miss the mark by a fair amount)... and worship the Goddess and her consort via what they call 'witchcraft'.. a specific type of worship trying to invoke their 'inner powers'.

The other 'Neo-Pagan' religions are similar too.. There is so much variety in what I see from the practitionars of Wicca and the practitioners of Neo-paganism , all with the general theme of 'worship mother earth' and such I think the only difference is how they label themselves.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

naz
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by naz »

Okay, so just because some people are environmentalist that doesn’t make them a pagan…… Makes me wonder how someone would react if I called them a pagan for recycling.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

naz wrote:Okay, so just because some people are environmentalist that doesn’t make them a pagan…… Makes me wonder how someone would react if I called them a pagan for recycling.
Nope.. recycling is a economic detail, and is not 'worshiping mother earth'. It makes sense to recycle if you DO worship mother earth.. but that is more common sense than religious.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Coyotero
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Coyotero »

Pagan comes from the Italian word Pagani an old Latin term that basically means "Country Folk". I.E. those that had yet to conform to the christianization of Rome.

Essentially, all wiccans are pagans, but not all pagans are wiccans... Follow?

Wicca is basically a modernized religion that borrows from many older belief systems, while at the same time offering a modern sensibility. In fact, I'd be hesitant to call it a religion so much as an ideology of religious thinking.

Scotracer
Guru

Post #6

Post by Scotracer »

naz wrote:Okay, so just because some people are environmentalist that doesn’t make them a pagan…… Makes me wonder how someone would react if I called them a pagan for recycling.
You do know that most of the world's nations are big on recycling? It's a big deal here because it makes sense.
Why Evolution is True
Universe from nothing

Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
- Christopher Hitchens