Display of the User Groups

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Re: DELETE ME

Post #1

Post by otseng »

Icarus Fallen wrote: You wanna recuperate some bandwidth?
Bandwidth and disk space is not a problem at this time. The forum is hosted on a dedicated server with plenty of bandwidth.
Do away with the user group designations below the user names.
I have no plans to get rid of usergroups. It's one of the features that makes this forum unique. I don't know of any other forum where one can buy their own custom usergroup.

Icarus Fallen
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by Icarus Fallen »

Otseng,
otseng wrote:I have no plans to get rid of usergroups. It's one of the features that makes this forum unique. I don't know of any other forum where one can buy their own custom usergroup.
I'm not suggesting that you get rid of the user groups; I'm saying that you should do away with the column designations below the user names.

I don't care how much room your dedicated server provides, it's still a finite amount of available space ...and those designation links are directly responsible for wasting a ton of it.

Plus, all of the unused space in the shorter posts ...is just ugly. Aesthetics matter, Bro.

Here's an idea: why don't you consolidate the U.G. list into a single link to be placed below the user names, so that if anyone's interested in knowing what groups another poster belongs to, he or she could click the link and be taken to that individual's profile (where the groups and their respective links would remain intact)?

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

Expanding on that,a compromise would be to have a set number(Say 5) visible, with a mouseover link which would display the rest.

A lot of coding involved, but I think it's a better alternative to simply having none visible; I like being able to tell at a glance.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Zzyzx »

otseng wrote:I have no plans to get rid of usergroups. It's one of the features that makes this forum unique. I don't know of any other forum where one can buy their own custom usergroup.
I strongly AGREE with keeping the usergroups just as they are.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

Zzyzx wrote:.
Just as a matter of aesthetics, would the user group list, and token donation links be better without the square braces? And perhaps a semicolon delimited wrapped list.
[mrow]Good [mcol]Better [row][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75][2005 Best Debater] [2006 Best Debater] [2009 Best Debater] [Administrators] [Admits Mistakes] [Agnomist] [Atheist] [Canadian] [Does not believe in Santa] [Former Christian] [Has read the entire Bible] [Head-to-head participant] [Humanist] [Ignostic] [Moderators] [Site Supporter] [Supports LGBT Rights] [The Pledge] [Tries to be civil][/size][/b][/color][/font] [col][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75]2005 Best Debater; 2006 Best Debater; 2009 Best Debater; Administrators; Admits Mistakes; Agnomist; Atheist; Canadian; Does not believe in Santa; Former Christian; Has read the entire Bible; Head-to-head participant; Humanist; Ignostic; Moderators; Site Supporter; Supports LGBT Rights; The Pledge; Tries to be civil [/size][/b][/color][/font]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

WinePusher

Post #6

Post by WinePusher »

McCulloch wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:.
Just as a matter of aesthetics, would the user group list, and token donation links be better without the square braces? And perhaps a semicolon delimited wrapped list.
[mrow]Good [mcol]Better [row][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75][2005 Best Debater] [2006 Best Debater] [2009 Best Debater] [Administrators] [Admits Mistakes] [Agnomist] [Atheist] [Canadian] [Does not believe in Santa] [Former Christian] [Has read the entire Bible] [Head-to-head participant] [Humanist] [Ignostic] [Moderators] [Site Supporter] [Supports LGBT Rights] [The Pledge] [Tries to be civil][/size][/b][/color][/font] [col][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75]2005 Best Debater; 2006 Best Debater; 2009 Best Debater; Administrators; Admits Mistakes; Agnomist; Atheist; Canadian; Does not believe in Santa; Former Christian; Has read the entire Bible; Head-to-head participant; Humanist; Ignostic; Moderators; Site Supporter; Supports LGBT Rights; The Pledge; Tries to be civil [/size][/b][/color][/font]
With all due respect, I don't think that's a very good idea. It makes it to jumble together and hard to read. I think the column is fine the way it is.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

WinePusher wrote: With all due respect, I don't think that's a very good idea. It makes it to jumble together and hard to read. I think the column is fine the way it is.
How about losing the square brackets?
[mrow]Good [mcol]Better [row][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75][2005 Best Debater] [2006 Best Debater] [2009 Best Debater] [Administrators] [Admits Mistakes] [Agnomist] [Atheist] [Canadian] [Does not believe in Santa] [Former Christian] [Has read the entire Bible] [Head-to-head participant] [Humanist] [Ignostic] [Moderators] [Site Supporter] [Supports LGBT Rights] [The Pledge] [Tries to be civil][/size][/b][/color][/font] [col][font=Verdana][color=#006699][b][size=75]2005 Best Debater 2006 Best Debater 2009 Best Debater Administrators Admits Mistakes Agnomist Atheist Canadian Does not believe in Santa Former Christian Has read the entire Bible Head-to-head participant Humanist Ignostic Moderators Site Supporter Supports LGBT Rights The Pledge Tries to be civil [/size][/b][/color][/font]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by LiamOS »

I can see some aesthetic appeal in the lack of square brackets... I'd support that idea.

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

I've removed the brackets and made the font smaller.

WinePusher

Post #10

Post by WinePusher »

If we're talking about aesthetics, on the forum, people's information appear as this:

Savant

Total posts: 7795

The font seems a little bit to small and makes it look kinda ugly. What if you made the font size bigger, like this:

Savant

Total posts: 7795