Did Jesus start "Christianity?"

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AlAyeti
Guru

Did Jesus start "Christianity?"

Post #1

Post by AlAyeti »

They were first called "Christians" in Antioch.

Does it say anywhere in the Gospels or anywhere else in the New Testament that Jesus was starting a "new" religion?

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #2

Post by Bro Dave »

This is a wonderful question! And the answer is a very simple "no", he did not. He did not come to establish yet another religion. He came to reveal God the Father to us, in every way we are able to understand Him in his INFINITY. Jesus continually tried to tell his apostles his message was simply to Love God, their Father, and therefore also to love all mankind, who were their siblings. However, they were looking for the Jewish Messiah, and want Jesus to be that Earthly King they saught. Jesus finally just gave up, and told them the "Kingdom" was within, but they really never grasped it. When Jesus was crucified, the news hit them like a ton of bricks, and that caused an unfortunate shift in their focus from the message Jesus taught them, to creating another cult religion about him! Paul was honest and very effective in his ministry. He was simply misdirected in his focus. He should have been sharing the Religion Jesus himself practiced, rather than assembling pieces from what was acceptable from other religions, and creating "Christianity".

What a wonderfully different world we would have if the world understood the Religion of Jesus, instead of fighting over the religion about him.

Bro Dave
:D :D :D
Last edited by Bro Dave on Fri May 20, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

youngborean
Sage

Post #3

Post by youngborean »

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I don't really know. I'd like to think that he came to abolish religion and establish a relationship based solely on belief and not practice. The unfortunate thing is this is not practical :D . This verse does seem to imply that he had in his mind a set of disciples that were unique.

harvey1
Prodigy

Re: Did Jesus start "Christianity?"

Post #4

Post by harvey1 »

AlAyeti wrote:They were first called "Christians" in Antioch.

Does it say anywhere in the Gospels or anywhere else in the New Testament that Jesus was starting a "new" religion?
It seems to me that Jesus did mean to start a religion. According to Paul, there was an official Twelve. The phrase "the Twelve" seems to refer to the 12 tribes of Israel, and that would indicate that one member of Jesus' disciples were gathered to rule over each tribe. That would strike me as an effort to start a new religion since the old one already has its leaders.

No doubt Paul pushed the envelope by moving out to the Hellenistic world in Asia Minor, Greece, and Rome. For Paul, this meant changing the religion from a denomination of Judaism, to its own separate religion.

A lot of criticism has been directed to Paul as if he created Christianity himself, but I think this criticism is not justified. Paul writes about Apollos, Peter, Barnabas, all evangelizing the Hellenistic world. In addition, we know that Egypt was evangelized early, perhaps earlier than Greece, so the efforts to expand the Christian religion were already pre-determined with or without Paul. No doubt, had Paul not come along, Christianity would look far different. It might have stayed a Jewish sect, or it might have lost out to the Thomastic community which was a gnostic community that preached hidden secrets, etc..

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #5

Post by AlAyeti »

Paul was explaining the nature of God's message. A message to the world. Jesus was the "end of the law." Why it was. Jesus certainly did not come to change anything and obviously not start a belief system not following the Law and the Prophets.

Pauls common sense was just that. Paul Progressive views didn't change the Bible because to follow the God of Israel didn't take conversion but acceptance.

Did Ruth become a Jew? "Your people will be my people." Was Uriah the Hittite (a mighty man of Israel) a practising Jew? I find far more to admire in Uriah the Hittite than David the King of Israel. (Odd those Bible heroes.)

Both Joseph and Mary have a geneaolgy that includes non-Israelites. The hooker from the town of Jericho became a member of the "tribe" but did she ever convert to "Judaism." She couldn't have because Judaism wasn't invented at that time. Rabbi's and synagouges began during and after the captivities. But that prostitue knew all about the God of Israel and thatshe better find a way into that camp. And she did.

Jesus hasn't created any new religion. Romans did.

The Messiah? Whose son is he?

It's a question that qualifies the person who answers it.

The parable of the wheat and chaff may also help in wondering what is going on in the Gospel message and what drove Paul to debate the issue all over the Roman Empire.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Did Jesus start "Christianity?"

Post #6

Post by bernee51 »

AlAyeti wrote:They were first called "Christians" in Antioch.

Much of the philosophical and humanist teachings attributed to Jesus may have, in fact come from the Essene John with whom Jesus reputedly spent some time. The Essenes were influenced by Buddhism...the Emporar Asoka sent missionaries in all directions from India around 270 BCE. Asokan records detail that the philosophies were well received in the west. Buddhists were known to have been in the Mediterranean region in the 1st century BCE.

The religion we know know as christianity, as has been much documented, was primarily instigated by Peter and especially Paul. So much so it should have perhaps been called Paulianity. Paul, however, new he was on to something if he labelled it christianity - linking it to the Messiah gave it much more punch.

trencacloscas
Sage

Post #7

Post by trencacloscas »

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Should we count in this passage, that many suspect as completely false?

AlAyeti
Guru

Post #8

Post by AlAyeti »

Upon this Rock (Peter) I will be build My "church."

Was the word "church" even "koined" in Palestine circa 0?

Maybe Jesus was referring to the revelation that Peter was asserting that He, Jesus (Yeshua) was the Messiah?

Arch
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Arch »

trencacloscas wrote:
Should we count in this passage, that many suspect as completely false?

This quote has to be fake. Why would Jesus build his church on Peter.

Peter is the same man Jesus called Satan.

Peter was talking to Jesus and Jesus told him get yea behind me Satan. He told Peter that he savored the things not of GOD.

On top of that

Jesus said whoever so denies me before men so shall I deny before my Father.

Peter denied Jesus three times. So why would he build he church on a person he is going to deny before his father?
RELIGION IS A PRISON FOR THE SEEKERS OF WISDOM
Simplicity is Profundity
Simply put if you cant prove it, you cant reasonably be mad at me for not believing it

unprofitable servant
Apprentice

did jesus start christianity?

Post #10

Post by unprofitable servant »

No He did not.

Jesus said 34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. jn 13

Notice that Jesus left us the command to 'love one another', 'by this shall all men know that ye are my disciples' He did not give us a title to put on ourselves to make men recognize that we serve Him.

He said in another place ' 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. mt 5

It is by what men see coming from within that gives glory to God and not a name.
Jesus said concerning names" 43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? jn5

By the moniker "christian" these 'receive honour one of another'
The Spirit teaches in Jude 16 These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.
17But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
18How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
19These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

By taking on the title of 'christian' or any other title this is the condemnation which they fall into, 'having not the Spirit'

The religion we know know as christianity, as has been much documented, was primarily instigated by Peter and especially Paul. So much so it should have perhaps been called Paulianity. Paul, however, new he was on to something if he labelled it christianity - linking it to the Messiah gave it much more punch.
Yet Paul when speaking to King Agrippa says; 26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
27King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
28Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
29And Paul said, I would to God, that not only thou, but also all that hear me this day, were both almost, and altogether such as I am, except these bonds. Acts 26

"Were both almost and altogether such as I am" If Paul were one to hold to the title of 'Christian' would this have not been the time for him to give a witness to this? When and where do we see or read that Paul magified Christianity as being the way to Christ?

But rather says 1Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
1 Corin 11

Not Christianity, but of Christ.
Paul taught against this thing 3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?
5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.
8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 1 cor 3

Do not "Christians" say i am baptist, i am pentacostal, i am catholic and whatever ather name they think makes them more unique and more special than other followers.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. jn 8

16And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. jn 10

Is christianity one are they continuing as one fold?are they following the doctrine and testimony of Jesus Christ? are they keeping themselves unspotted from the world?

Jesus did not start christianity, but opened a door for us to go thru that we may come to know His God and Father