Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

SomePunk
Scholar

Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions?

Post #1

Post by SomePunk »

[font=Comic Sans MS]Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions? [/font]

Does smoking or using Marijuana help or is it a problem?

Does it make people stupid and not think clearly or does it actually provide a means for intellectual discourse?

Meow Mix
Scholar

Re: Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions?

Post #2

Post by Meow Mix »

SomePunk wrote:[font=Comic Sans MS]Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions? [/font]

Does it make people stupid and not think clearly or does it actually provide a means for intellectual discourse?
Personally, I'm allergic. Every time I've partaken I've come down with a rash/hives on my upper chest and inevitably end up puking my guts out regardless of whether I've been drinking or not. It's not that I'm a noob -- I've tried different kinds and qualities from different people and even tried vaporizers a few times (which as far as I know is supposed to remove some or most of the impurities) to no better effect. I can only assume that I'm allergic to the actual THC.

However, before all the negative stuff happens, I feel pretty good for about 10 minutes. I can't say I've ever had a cognizant philosophical thought during that period before, but it could be because of my body's unique physiological reaction to it. In any case, from my personal experience, I doubt that it stimulates philosophical discourse in the sense that it increases some kind of capacity for lucid philosophical thought.

What it might do is cause enough disconnectedness in a person that they'd want to talk about something philosophical, but from my experience with otherwise cogent and intelligent friends under the influence, I doubt it will accomplish pretty much anything. In fact it seems that it would put a person in an inferior position than if they were sober to engage in meaningful, productive conversation.

I'm not really one to talk about sobriety when engaging in meaningful conversation though, considering I'm fairly intoxicated on whiskey as I write this. I sure can type well when I'm blasted though! Look at me go! Hooray for Fridays.
"Censorship is telling a man he can`t have a steak just because a baby can`t chew it." - Unknown

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by LiamOS »

That's quite unfortunate, Meow Mix. However, thumbs up on the whiskey; that's a philosophical tool. :P

I find that marijuana doesn't facilitate philosophical discussion notably more so than sobriety does, but it can certainly contribute to a nicer atmosphere(Or at least perceived) in which the discussion can take place.
I will admit that I've had some pretty good discussions while high, but most of the time it just devolves into my friends and I playing music and then playing Worms 2.

sarabellum

Hi....

Post #4

Post by sarabellum »

Like Meow Mix, I too am allergic to Pot...

It makes me feel funny!
Hungry!
Dry, red eyes!
Tunnel vision!

I must have tried it a thousand times and always the same result? :(
No rashes though!

As far as a tool to stimulate philosophical discussions?

Some times putting your mind outside of the box can be fruitful...
Doors of perception type of thing...

Or as the great Socrates said in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure....
Ahhh..
That was...
On the tip of my tongue...

Crap, add memory loss to my list of symptoms!
:D

AquinasD
Guru

Post #5

Post by AquinasD »

Marijuana might help facilitate philosophical discussion, but only as alcohol helps facilitate dancing.

That is my observation. I have never personally used marijuana.

SomePunk
Scholar

Post #6

Post by SomePunk »

So this is interesting. Most people don't think marijuana is good for philosophical discussions. Maybe just better for medical or recreational use than it is for actual philosophizing.
Meow Mix wrote:What it might do is cause enough disconnectedness in a person that they'd want to talk about something philosophical, but from my experience with otherwise cogent and intelligent friends under the influence, I doubt it will accomplish pretty much anything. In fact it seems that it would put a person in an inferior position than if they were sober to engage in meaningful, productive conversation.
So you would say it actually puts people at a disadvantage. LOL - That is kind of funny.
sarabellum wrote: Some times putting your mind outside of the box can be fruitful...
Doors of perception type of thing...

Or as the great Socrates said in Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure....
Ahhh..
That was...
On the tip of my tongue...

Crap, add memory loss to my list of symptoms!
Very Happy
I would agree with outside the box sort of thing. For the most part I think marijuana can be good to help people relax, possibly let loose and not be so up-tight about things. Memory lose is probably a bad thing when relating it to philosophy lol. That would definitely put someone in a inferior position like Meow Mix said.
AkiThePirate wrote:I find that marijuana doesn't facilitate philosophical discussion notably more so than sobriety does, but it can certainly contribute to a nicer atmosphere(Or at least perceived) in which the discussion can take place.
I would probably agree with this too. It does seem to provide for a nicer atmosphere.
aquinasD wrote:Marijuana might help facilitate philosophical discussion, but only as alcohol helps facilitate dancing.

That is my observation. I have never personally used marijuana.
hmm... It probably has a fell good factor for most people than it does anything else then.

Curious
Sage

Post #7

Post by Curious »

[font=Comic Sans MS]Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions? [/font]
It's the reason I came here so yes it does. On the other hand, maybe it makes you arrive at irrational conclusions and stifles philosophical debate.

JohnPaul
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JohnPaul »

SomePunk wrote:[font=Comic Sans MS]Does Marijuana help stimulate philosophical discussions? [/font]

I have never used marijuana, unless a couple of brief puffs just to be sociable counts. I DID NOT INHALE! :)

I don't know what grand thoughts may have been going on in the minds of the users I observed, but what came out of their mouths was certainly not deep philosophical wisdom. Of course, most of them were not the sharpest tools in the box even when sober.

I personally believe that marijuana is far less harmful than almost any other drug, certainly less harmful than alcohol, which is a killer! Marijuana should be legalized and controlled much like alcohol is now. To allow alcohol while banning marijuana is the worst kind of hypocrisy!

My wife used marijuana for several years after we were married, but ONLY for occasional private meditation, NEVER in a social environment.

John

just1skeptic
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by just1skeptic »

for me personally it does not.
mainly because whenever i partake in the burning of devil parsley, about five minutes later i become passionately obsessed with one of two things.

1. locking myself in my music studio and either listening to music, or turning on my animated light show, plugging in my guitars (or jumping on my drum kit), and rockin till the dawn.
OR
2. the girl's chest that is standing next to me. :P

it's not that i'm a perv, but when i have my defenses down, the female gender (which astounds me even while sober) has pretty much free reign on me.
its a bit sad actually :P

i used to be a HEAVY user, but i have since cut down to next to nothing because it was affecting my judgement, as high doses of any drug will. now i am a VERY occasional user. last time was four months ago, and the next time i even plan on it is sept. 2-4 at the dave matthews band caravan at the gorge.

now back to the op (i tend to ramble. sorry)

as i was saying i do not, but i have a pair of very good friends. they are RIDICULOUSLY umm erm, seriously. the word is stupid. i dont know how else to put it. (i love them dearly though, thy are incredible people, just not intellectually gifted) BUT while intoxicated on marijuana i have heard simply PROFOUND things come from them that they never would have said otherwise, so i guess for some people, it may help the process.

i couldnt say for sure though
religion. it gives hope in a world torn apart by religion. -someone awesome whose name idk
mission statement-
1. My name is James T. Lucier the Third
2. I love Dr. Who
3. I am on the mission of a skeptic.
4. That mission is to doubt you at all costs until i can do so no more.
5. You might want to wear a cup.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Ooberman »

I smoke a lot and have an opinion.

I think it makes ideas appear more interesting and deeper, but it is very hard to express them because it's harder to keep methodical as you lay out your points. Continuity is a problem, and, if you can't express your ideas well, then you should question whether they are good ideas.

However, I have had many "revelations" while smoking, so it seems to be able to shift you out of a paradigm that is either new, or is closer to how you really feel.

I'd say it's a tool in the tool box, but not a answer to any problem.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees