Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Reporting Violations

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Hi all,

Can we all please start reporting violations when we see them and not just violations of our 'opponents'. I am not enjoying reading some of the threads due to the nature of some posts.

The civil nature of this forum is hopefully everyone's duty.

Wootah

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Lux »

I agree with this sentiment.

A good thing to keep in mind is that only moderators can see who's the one reporting a post, and we don't disclose that information. So if you see someone you like or generally agree with violating the rules, you can feel free to report them without fear of it evolving into drama.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Jester
Prodigy

Re: Reporting Violations

Post #3

Post by Jester »

Yes that is both allowed and encouraged.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Reporting Violations

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Wootah wrote: Can we all please start reporting violations when we see them and not just violations of our 'opponents'. I am not enjoying reading some of the threads due to the nature of some posts.

The civil nature of this forum is hopefully everyone's duty.
My personal opinion is that the violations of our friends and allies are more important to be reported and dealt with than the violations of our opponents or enemies. I believe that the rules encourage good effective debate and that the successful outcome of good effective debate is truth. The side of truth (my side, right?) need not stoop to rudeness or incivility to win debate. I see a violation of many of our rules by a debater, as a tacit admission that he or she has run out of good arguments and must resort to lesser tactics. So I just give myself a silent high-five when my opponent breaks the rules. It is not as satisfying as an overt admission that they were wrong, but that really does not happen often.

However, when someone on my side of an argument slips up, it offends me mightily. Because, they don't need to resort to that.

Of course, the other side (wrongly) believes that they have truth on their side, and are motivated to behave in a civil and respectful way for exactly the same reason.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Angel

Post #5

Post by Angel »

I've been making several reports from the thread topic God and the Midianites and so far there's been no moderator action or even a response. The latest report is the most obvious one for pg. 2, post #14 which consisted of an off topic remark and a blanket statement. It's been days since I reported 2 members on that thread.

What else can be done in this case to get a moderator's attention?

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Angel wrote:I've been making several reports from the thread topic God and the Midianites and so far there's been no moderator action or even a response. The latest report is the most obvious one for pg. 2, post #14 which consisted of an off topic remark and a blanket statement. It's been days since I reported 2 members on that thread.
All the moderators get the post reports. And I would assume that most read them. Each are free to respond if they feel a rule has been violated. If there's no immediate response, most likely that means nobody feels that an intervention is required. Or it means that we're doing back room discussions on how to handle it.
What else can be done in this case to get a moderator's attention?
The best way is to send a PM to a moderator. Send me a PM and we can discuss the posts you reported.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Angel wrote: What else can be done in this case to get a moderator's attention?
PM's sometimes work.

In the case of the first one, http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 328#401328
it is my opinion that this is a matter for debate rather than application of rules.
You and the other debater disagree, this is expected in debate. Make your point and show how the reasoning used by the other debater is not valid. And move on. Seldom will you get another debater to admit error, so write for the vast audience of readers, fence sitters and lurkers on this site.

In the second report, http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 681#401681
In my opinion, the comments about baby killing are on-side. The divinely inspired Midianite genocide included babies.
The comments at the end were not directed at any specific user but at the ideas presented, thus not a personal attack.

Angel

Post #8

Post by Angel »

Thanks for the responses. I'll post where Strider made a blanket statement about believers and even referred or insinuated me fitting that blanket statement.

From pg. 2, post #14.. God and the Midianites
Strider234 wrote: You applied a tortured logic in those threads to justify Yahweh murdering babies because, well.....what else can a believer do?
It's always amazing, and tragic, the lengths the believer will go to in order to convince himself that he has a reason to accept any atrocity imaginable committed by his favorite deity so as to continue clutching to his desire for the brass ring and holy bribe of eternal life. It's ethically indefensible, and yet - here you are........
In context, there's a reference to believers (I'm a believer) and his interpretation of 2 threads that I opened concerning baby killings. I also never asserted my own explanations in those threads but simply asked questions and explained what I meant by those questions.