Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

God and Babies

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

Who here would kill a baby because a god didn't like it?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

jgh7

Post #11

Post by jgh7 »

Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story :whistle:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 9:
dianaiad wrote: Joey, there is a rather large difference between God ending a mortal life (when He knows that life continues somewhere else) and humans killing babies.
I can dig it. However, the OP seeks to find those who'd do the killing for a god or gods, as opposed to which gods are cool or not cool with the killing of babies.
dianaiad wrote: Stop equivocating. The two are entirely different subjects.
How much equivocating is going on when one asks a question?

Would Miss dianaiad kill a baby if her favored god told her to?
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 10:
jgh7 wrote: Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story
Would jgh7 abort a fetus because his preferred god told him to?

Why is it that this question seems so difficult for theists to answer?
-Punkinhead Martin

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by dianaiad »

JoeyKnothead wrote:From Post 9:
dianaiad wrote: Joey, there is a rather large difference between God ending a mortal life (when He knows that life continues somewhere else) and humans killing babies.
I can dig it. However, the OP seeks to find those who'd do the killing for a god or gods, as opposed to which gods are cool or not cool with the killing of babies.

Here's the thing; He wouldn't tell me to.

There's no 'if,' here. He wouldn't. To put it in terms an atheist..or non-theist..might accept, that's like asking what I would do if Captain Ahab applied for a job as cabin boy on the MV Steve Irwin.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Autodidact »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote:As I type this, there's been 34 reads of this OP, and not one has come forth to say they'd kill a baby in the name of a god.

Yet some to many will elsewhere defend a god's "right" to kill babies - in the form of having humans do its dirty work.

:-k :confused2:
The only god I know who was interested in killing babies was Moloch. But he has a bad rep. So NO I would not.
And YHWH. At least, as reported in the Bible, quite a lot.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Autodidact »

dianaiad wrote:

There's no 'if,' here. He wouldn't. To put it in terms an atheist..or non-theist..might accept, that's like asking what I would do if Captain Ahab applied for a job as cabin boy on the MV Steve Irwin.
Here's the thing; He told other people to, a lot, that is, the fictional character described in the OT did. Is that the God you worship?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by dianaiad »

Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:

Here's the thing; He told other people to, a lot, that is, the fictional character described in the OT did. Is that the God you worship?
I worship the God described in the OT...and the NT and the BoM and the Doctrine and Covenants.

What I get from the OT is a lot of people who claim that they were told to kill babies. However, since those stories were restricted to a specific culture and time, and not repeated anywhere or anywhen else, I begin to wonder just how much of it was God telling them....and the winners claiming that God told them.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Autodidact »

dianaiad wrote:
Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:

I worship the God described in the OT...and the NT and the BoM and the Doctrine and Covenants.

What I get from the OT is a lot of people who claim that they were told to kill babies. However, since those stories were restricted to a specific culture and time, and not repeated anywhere or anywhen else, I begin to wonder just how much of it was God telling them....and the winners claiming that God told them.
So your position is that the events described in the OT did not happen? In other words, it's false?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by dianaiad »

Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:
Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:

So your position is that the events described in the OT did not happen? In other words, it's false?
I"m not a biblical literalist, no.

As to which of the descriptions of those events is true or false....I think that they are True in that the men writing them did the best they could to write them as truthfully as they knew how, and described Him as well as they could from within their own cultures and ideas.

So I guess the answer is no, it's not false....it's not even factually incorrect as far as the writers knew; it simply doesn't present the entire Truth.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Autodidact »

dianaiad wrote:
Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:
Autodidact wrote:
dianaiad wrote:

I"m not a biblical literalist, no.

As to which of the descriptions of those events is true or false....I think that they are True in that the men writing them did the best they could to write them as truthfully as they knew how, and described Him as well as they could from within their own cultures and ideas.

So I guess the answer is no, it's not false....it's not even factually incorrect as far as the writers knew; it simply doesn't present the entire Truth.
They're not true or false? So they're totally useless? And that's what you base your belief system on?!?

I agree that the men that wrote them were aiming for truth. Apparently, they missed wildly. For that reason, I don't base my belief system on their odd collection of tribal mythology. Why do you?