Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

God and Babies

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

Who here would kill a baby because a god didn't like it?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JoeyKnothead wrote:As I type this, there's been 34 reads of this OP, and not one has come forth to say they'd kill a baby in the name of a god.

Yet some to many will elsewhere defend a god's "right" to kill babies - in the form of having humans do its dirty work.

:-k :confused2:
Prove there is a god first, until you do, surely we cannot discuss this subject.

When you prove beyond a doubt there is a god I will consider contributing, until then there is nothing to talk about.

End of thread.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 5:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Prove there is a god first, until you do, surely we cannot discuss this subject.
Do you deny there's been discussion on this site regarding how God may or not 'preciate folks going around killing babies?

As an atheist, it is my personal contention that no gods exists, leaving the logically drawn conclusion that those who do stuff in a god's name, ain't.
JehovahsWitness wrote: When you prove beyond a doubt there is a god I will consider contributing, until then there is nothing to talk about.
Frankly, I don't care if you wanna contribute or not.

This "prove there's a god" angle would seem more appropriate to put to those who claim there is one, and how it relates to the OP and such.
JehovahsWitness wrote: End of thread.
Wrong, in that here I post, and the thread continues beyond your declaration.

My intention with presenting the OP is to examine claims and actions and such that have been put forth, whether on this site or "in the world", and I will not stop presenting such just because JehovahsWitness might not wanna join in with us.
-Punkinhead Martin

100%atheist
Prodigy

Re: God and Babies

Post #8

Post by 100%atheist »

JoeyKnothead wrote:There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

It is hard to believe that an omni-everything creature would not like to eat a few more babies. But it's okay.

Because babies are tasty:

SteveC
Sage

Re: God and Babies

Post #9

Post by SteveC »

JoeyKnothead wrote:There's recent discussion of killing babies, and how God may or may not 'preciate such.

For debate:

Well................my daughter allowed me to sleep only two hours at a time. For the first two years of her life I was a zombie, but I never considered killing her. I guess she should considered lucky that I was her father and not you know who!!
The Most Interesting Atheist in the world

I don''''t always use holywater, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by dianaiad »

JoeyKnothead wrote:As I type this, there's been 34 reads of this OP, and not one has come forth to say they'd kill a baby in the name of a god.

Yet some to many will elsewhere defend a god's "right" to kill babies - in the form of having humans do its dirty work.

Joey, there is a rather large difference between God ending a mortal life (when He knows that life continues somewhere else) and humans killing babies.

Stop equivocating. The two are entirely different subjects.

jgh7

Post #11

Post by jgh7 »

Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story :whistle:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 9:
dianaiad wrote: Joey, there is a rather large difference between God ending a mortal life (when He knows that life continues somewhere else) and humans killing babies.
I can dig it. However, the OP seeks to find those who'd do the killing for a god or gods, as opposed to which gods are cool or not cool with the killing of babies.
dianaiad wrote: Stop equivocating. The two are entirely different subjects.
How much equivocating is going on when one asks a question?

Would Miss dianaiad kill a baby if her favored god told her to?
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 10:
jgh7 wrote: Yea, it's horrible to think of killing a baby because God doesn't like it. Now killing a fetus because the mother doesn't like it, that's a different story
Would jgh7 abort a fetus because his preferred god told him to?

Why is it that this question seems so difficult for theists to answer?
-Punkinhead Martin

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by dianaiad »

JoeyKnothead wrote:From Post 9:
dianaiad wrote: Joey, there is a rather large difference between God ending a mortal life (when He knows that life continues somewhere else) and humans killing babies.
I can dig it. However, the OP seeks to find those who'd do the killing for a god or gods, as opposed to which gods are cool or not cool with the killing of babies.
dianaiad wrote: Stop equivocating. The two are entirely different subjects.
How much equivocating is going on when one asks a question?

Would Miss dianaiad kill a baby if her favored god told her to?
Here's the thing; He wouldn't tell me to.

There's no 'if,' here. He wouldn't. To put it in terms an atheist..or non-theist..might accept, that's like asking what I would do if Captain Ahab applied for a job as cabin boy on the MV Steve Irwin.

Autodidact
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by Autodidact »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:

The only god I know who was interested in killing babies was Moloch. But he has a bad rep. So NO I would not.
And YHWH. At least, as reported in the Bible, quite a lot.