Forum | Welcome | Debate Rules | Links | Facebook | Twitter | Donate  
Debating Christianity and Religion
Religious Debate Forums
 
 FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in

The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome
Automatic responses to the negative

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Philosophy
Author Message
Mr.Badham Offline
Sage
Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Total posts: 725
Gender: Undisclosed

398.27 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:41 am  The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

I've coined a syndrome and I want credit for it;
Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

ie;
Me: There are a lot of heavy horses that farmers don't use anymore. Maybe we should use them to turn generators for electricity.
Dude: No, they're not strong enough.

It's not that he's wrong. It's not that he disagrees with me. It's that it's negative and it's automatic (within 5 seconds which means without much thought/research/clarification/understanding).

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?
Back to top
View user's profile   
Furrowed Brow Offline
Site Supporter
Prodigy
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Total posts: 3475
Location: Here
Age: 113
Gender: Male

25892.48 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 am  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

dude you are never going to get credit, you know some doc or professor will steal the idea and pass it of us theirs. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website   
Baz Offline
Site Supporter
Scholar
Avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Total posts: 461
Location: Bristol UK
Age: 63
Gender: Male

6303.20 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:12 pm  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

Mr.Badham wrote:
I've coined a syndrome and I want credit for it;
Automatic Negative Response Syndrome

I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

ie;
Me: There are a lot of heavy horses that farmers don't use anymore. Maybe we should use them to turn generators for electricity.
Dude: No, they're not strong enough.

It's not that he's wrong. It's not that he disagrees with me. It's that it's negative and it's automatic (within 5 seconds which means without much thought/research/clarification/understanding).

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?



Sorry to take more than the usual 5 seconds but I can tell you that you are undoubtedly wrong. I disagree with you and there is not such syndrome.

Dance
Back to top
View user's profile   
ThatGirlAgain 
This Puppy is a Mongrel
Location: New York City
Age: 22
Gender: Female

19907.05 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:17 pm  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

Mr.Badham wrote:
I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?










Yes
Back to top
View user's profile   
Baz Offline
Site Supporter
Scholar
Avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Total posts: 461
Location: Bristol UK
Age: 63
Gender: Male

6303.20 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:49 pm  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Mr.Badham wrote:
I've noticed at work or at home, any suggestion I make, or idea I have, is usually met by an automatic negative response.

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?










Yes



Applause
Back to top
View user's profile   
McCulloch Offline
Refuses to have a custom title
Site Supporter
Savant
Avatar

Joined: 02 May 2005
Total posts: 22727
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Age: 54
Gender: Male

83544.45 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 6: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 pm  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

Mr.Badham wrote:

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?


You get no credit for naming the syndrome. You get credit for demonstrating that it exists and that it truly fits the definition of a syndrome. And since you are wrong, no credit is due.

ThatGirlAgain wrote:

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?


How is he going to find his way out of the forest without a woman to ask directions for him?
Back to top
View user's profile   
Goat Offline
Site Supporter
Savant
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Total posts: 23930
Age: 56
Gender: Male

66656.29 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 7: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:57 am  Re: The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome Reply

McCulloch wrote:
Mr.Badham wrote:

How do I get credit for finding this syndrome?


You get no credit for naming the syndrome. You get credit for demonstrating that it exists and that it truly fits the definition of a syndrome. And since you are wrong, no credit is due.

ThatGirlAgain wrote:

If a man talks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?


How is he going to find his way out of the forest without a woman to ask directions for him?


By using his Iphone GPS application, so he can get directions without admitting he is asking for directions.
Back to top
View user's profile   
Mr.Badham Offline
Sage
Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Total posts: 725
Gender: Undisclosed

398.27 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 8: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:42 pm   Reply

I think this whole forum is an example of "The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome.

I would also add there is a "I Gotta Get The Last Word In Syndrome" as well.

I imagine the next post as an example of both.
Back to top
View user's profile   
Cathar1950 Offline
Site Supporter
Savant
Avatar

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Total posts: 10466
Location: Michigan(616)
Age: 63
Gender: Male

60440.77 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 9: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:58 pm   Reply

Mr.Badham wrote:
I think this whole forum is an example of "The Automatic Negative Response Syndrome.

I would also add there is a "I Gotta Get The Last Word In Syndrome" as well.

I imagine the next post as an example of both.

I imagine you imaging poorly.
It is a debate forum and usually we don't debate about things we agree upon or give negative responses, unless yawning and boredom are to be seen as negative, I tend to think they should be positive responses to boring details or worse, wrong ones.

This is the place where a negative response is appropriate and if you were going to look for some NRS or Negative Response Syndrome for long, then we would look in a place where such responses were not appropriate such as birthday parties, marriages and such festive occasions.
Funerals would possible have many kinds of responses and even negative responses are not out of place.
Back to top
View user's profile   
Mr.Badham Offline
Sage
Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Total posts: 725
Gender: Undisclosed

398.27 tokens
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 10: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 pm   Reply

Why is this forum an appropriate place for negative responses, any more than it is a place for positive responses? Why didn't you say "This foum is an appropriate place for informed responses"? It's as though people here feel they must disagree.

So far no one has disagreed with me based on the definition of a syndrome.

Ask yourself this; "How long after I read his thread did I disagree with him?"

My syndrome describes a response akin to a flinch. The response is as unintentional, as it is automatic. It's not your choice to be negative.
Back to top
View user's profile   
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Debating Christianity and Religion Forum Index -> Philosophy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Facebook
Tweet

 






Hymn Lyrics Plus

On The Web | New Kind Church | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter


Lo-Fi Version
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Hosted by Lunarpages.   Produced by Ecodia.
Igloo Theme Release v0.9 Created By: Igloo Inc. and PROX Designs in association with Kazer0 Designs.
Protected by CBACK CrackerTracker
318932 Attacks blocked.