For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Qet
Student

From Dawkins, to Omnipotence, (don't) come in, Omnipotence

Post #1

Post by Qet »

In Chapter 3 of The God Delusion, pages 77-78, Dawkins says:
The...'proof...' asserted by Thomas Aquinas in the thirteenth century do[es]n't prove anything, and [is] easily - though I hesitate to say so, given his eminence - exposed as vacuous. [It] involve[s] an infinite regress - the answer to a question raises a prior question, and so on ad infinitum.

The Unmoved Mover. Nothing moves without a prior mover.
This leads us to a regress, from which the only escape is God.
Something had to make the first move, and that something we
call God.

[This] argument...rel[ies] upon the idea of a regress and invoke[s] God to terminate it. [It] make[s] the entirely unwarranted assumption that God himself is immune to the regress. Even if we allow the dubious luxury of arbitrarily conjuring up a terminator to
an infinite regress and giving it a name, simply because we need one, there is absolutely no reason to endow that terminator with any of the properties normally ascribed to God: omnipotence, omniscience, goodness, creativity of design, to say nothing of such human attributes as listening to prayers, forgiving sins and reading innermost thoughts. Incidentally, it has not escaped the notice of logicians that omniscience and omnipotence are mutually incompatible. If God is omniscient, he must already know how he is going to intervene to change the course of history using his omnipotence.
My response:

'Nothing moves without a prior mover.' The form of this statement might seem to limit the reader to the compound that 'nothing which is in motion (m) can be so without having been moved by something else (se), and se causes m to be in motion by way of the motion of se.' If se has to be in motion in order to move m, then Dawkins' rebuttal is correct, in that se is taken as equivalent to m. But, the form of Dawkins' rebuttal compels me to assume that he had an alternative to this compound; It seems to me he allowed either that 'something (se) is in motion inherently', or that 'something (se) does not move in order to move that which moves (m)'. In other words, I believe he granted that 'mover' is not necessarily equivalent to 'movee'.

From my reading of Aquinas, which extends materially somewhat beyond what Dawkins provides in The God Delusion, Aquinas was no dunce: Aquinas presupposed that se does not move in order to cause the motion of things that move (m). Such a presupposition has the same ultimate epistemic effect as that 'se is in motion inherently': there is something which ultimately explains everything else, and which, in terms of human understanding, itself either is self-explanatory or indifferently arbitrary/anti-climactic. Dawkins freely admits that explanations exist (my explains mz, mx explains my……mb explains ma) since he cannot abide a 'God of the gaps', though he rejects that se/ma is sentient.

My question is whether Dawkins (or anyone who shares what seems to be his view) rejects that se/ma is omnipotent; because, omnipotence, by itself, can be formulated in the over-simplistic manner as that in which Dawkins seems to have assumed that Aquinas meant by the 'Unmoved Mover'. In other words, my question is whether Dawkins (or anyone who shares what seems to be his view) would assent to the compound idea that ma, in some sense, causes mz, and that ma is essentially more powerful than any or all of mz-thru-mb.

~~~

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:God’s ability to do something will depend on how much usable energy he has. Usable energy is inversely proportional to entropy. To have infinite usable energy (omnipotence) would require having an entropy of zero. Now entropy is a measure of the number of different microstates equivalent to a given macrostate. Specifically it is the logarithm of the number of microstates. An entropy of zero logarithmically corresponds to a value of 1. Only one omnipotent microstate is possible and therefore only one omnipotent macrostate.

Conclusion: There is only one God. And God is therefore also simple, having only one possible state. The angry, regretful, pleased etc. god described in the Bible cannot be God Almighty since these are all different states.

Scientific QED
But god needn't have infinite usable energy, that seems an ad hoc assumption. He/she/it just needs sufficient to kick off the universe.

I don't see that there can be an infinite anything, other than an infinite temporal potential to proceed forward in time without end.
The only way to have infinite anything IMO is to have infinite everything, that everything that could be exists, with contradictions isolated in separate universes. But that is already another thread...

If god (non-infinite only rates lower case) is less than infinite then there must have been some pre-existing constraint that established exactly how much power god has. Otherwise the Principle of Sufficient Reason is violated. And so there must be something prior to god. Exactly how powerful is that predecessor? And why that much?
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

fredonly
Guru

Post #15

Post by fredonly »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
fredonly wrote:But god needn't have infinite usable energy, that seems an ad hoc assumption. He/she/it just needs sufficient to kick off the universe.

I don't see that there can be an infinite anything, other than an infinite temporal potential to proceed forward in time without end.
The only way to have infinite anything IMO is to have infinite everything, that everything that could be exists, with contradictions isolated in separate universes. But that is already another thread...
An actual infinite may be impossible. There are good arguments* to support this. But if you’re right, that everything that could exist, does exist, then there must be an infinite number of gods (because there could be): creator of the universes, the creator of the creator, the creator of that guy, etc…No first cause, just an infinite recursion of gods.
If god (non-infinite only rates lower case) is less than infinite then there must have been some pre-existing constraint that established exactly how much power god has. Otherwise the Principle of Sufficient Reason is violated. And so there must be something prior to god. Exactly how powerful is that predecessor? And why that much?
I think it is likely that there was a first cause, but one of the reasons for this is because I don’t believe there can be an actual, completed infinity*. It’s reasonable to assume that the first cause needed to be more “powerful� (possessed more usable energy) then the universe(s) – as discussed in prior posts in this thread. But this argument only establishes a lower bound to the power of the first cause. What leads you to believe a first cause must have infinite power? For that matter, what leads you to label this entity a god (or God, if you prefer)? Neither has been established in this thread.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*Here’s an argument against an actual (completed) infinity:
The concept of infinity is rooted in potential. Time potentially proceeds infinitely into the future. However, taking the days and counting them one by one, infinity is never reached. We have simply defined a processs that has no endpoint. This demonstrates that the concept of infinity entails incompleteness; infinity can never be reached, because one more can always be added. An infinite past implies that an infinite number of days have completed; but this is an incoherent concept because infinity entails incompleteness and potential; the past has no potential and the past is completed. I’ll add that when someone uses the phrase, “an infinite number of…� there’s a problem, because “infinite� is not a number, it’s a process. You cannot have an infinite number of hotel rooms (as in Hilbert’s paradox), but you can keep adding rooms to your hotel potentially forever.

As an aside, and to ward off a common objection, I’ll mention that there are also two uses of infinity in mathematics. The first is in calculus, which utilizes infinities and infinitesimals. I’ve been in discussions in which this type of infinity is presented as being a completed infinity. But that is a misinterpretation. The infinities used in calculus are limits, which in the real world are just hypothetical, but for which mathematical patterns can be identified and utilized for important calculations.

The other use of infinity in mathematics is in Cantorian set theory. The fact that we can depict an infinite set like this: {1, 2, 3, …} gives the illusion that we have contained an infinity, but that’s not the case. It’s just a handy means of mathematically manipulating series of numbers (or objects) that are hypothetically infinite. The fact that the set of all positive even integers can be mapped one-to-one to the set of all positive integers demonstrates that there is a non-real-world aspect to the infinities represented in sets. Consider Bertram Russell’s Tristram Shandy paradox, which shows the problem with this sort of mapping:
Tristram Shandy is an author writing an auto-biography. Unfortunately, he writes very slowly; each day of his life takes him a year to write about.
The Tristram Shandy paradox asks: If Shandy continues at this rate for eternity then will his book ever be finished?

Using the rules of mapping sets, it would appear that in an infinite amount of time, he will finish. But in the real world, there is no point in time at which Shandy will actually be finished; in fact, he gets further and further behind. As the days proceed toward infinity, the number of days Shandy is behind grows larger. The lesson is that the real world doesn’t map into an infinite set, except in terms of hypotheticals; actual completed infinites cannot exist.

klatu
Student

The limitations of logic . . .

Post #16

Post by klatu »

I would suggest one has to begin with an acceptance of the limitations of human logic. And nothing exposes that limitation more clearly that discussions of the 'God' question. We use the word 'proof' when what we mean is clever argument, often couched in philosophical models or theological jargon. The underlying assumption of all 'God logic' is that natural reason is capable of understanding the divine. And by continuing to rely on 'reason' and 'logic' we continue to reduce and corrupt the very idea of God to something akin to an impotent phantasy. Which is how theology, with no direct cause and effect demonstration to offer, has have turned religious ideas into such an easy target for the likes of Dawkins and co.

Even within the paradigm of science, with news that the speed of light has been exceeded, we see an example of both honesty and how those limitations are broken and answers resolved; that is by discovery, not logic. For any new discovery provides it's own logic. It is by discovery that understanding is advanced, insight tested and demonstrated. And what gives science it's great strength, is that it is prepared to question and let go [but not easily] of any and all previous assumptions and 'sacred dogma', when new evidence offers the potential to raise our understanding up another notch and open the door to a wholly new realm of understanding, change and progress.

Such intrinsic accountability to knowledge has never existed in religion. We are culturally conditioned by theological discourse, history and tradition, to accept the 'presumption' that religious ideas are not subject to the same paradigm. Yet why even speak of omnipotence and omniscience unless God was prepared to demonstrate those values to us? Well we may have to get used to the idea!

The first wholly new interpretation of the moral teachings of Christ for two thousand years is spreading on the web. Called The Final Freedoms. Radically different from anything else we know of from history, this new 'claim' is predicated upon a precise and predefined experience, a direct individual intervention into the natural world by omnipotent power to confirm divine will, command and covenant, "correcting human nature by a change in natural law, altering biology, consciousness and human ethical perception beyond all natural evolutionary boundaries." Like it of no, a new religious claim testable by faith, meeting all Enlightenment, evidential criteria now exists. Nothing short of a religious revolution appears to be getting under way. I'm testing the teaching now myself. and there is nothing stopping anyone from doing the same except the ideas inside ones head we fear to let go of. More info at http://soulgineering.com/2011/05/22/the-final-freedoms/

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
fredonly wrote:But god needn't have infinite usable energy, that seems an ad hoc assumption. He/she/it just needs sufficient to kick off the universe.

An actual infinite may be impossible. There are good arguments* to support this. But if you’re right, that everything that could exist, does exist, then there must be an infinite number of gods (because there could be): creator of the universes, the creator of the creator, the creator of that guy, etc…No first cause, just an infinite recursion of gods.
If one defines God as simply the reason for existence (whatever that term entails) it becomes difficult to talk about the existence of the reason for existence. And talking about the reason for existence not existing gets a little weird. It may be that existence is absurd – there is no reason. But that raises the question of why there should be the possibility of order. I don’t mean the ID godidit kind of incidental order but the fact that the universe is in the whole an orderly place. It is possible to make up laws that describe its behavior pretty well. If the universe is absurd, why should this be the case? But I am an ignostic. I don’t believe we can ever properly answer questions like that. But we can set logical limits on what can be and what cannot be. Thus my little game of an omnipotent God not being the god of the Bible on ‘engineering’ grounds.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: If god (non-infinite only rates lower case) is less than infinite then there must have been some pre-existing constraint that established exactly how much power god has. Otherwise the Principle of Sufficient Reason is violated. And so there must be something prior to god. Exactly how powerful is that predecessor? And why that much?
I think it is likely that there was a first cause, but one of the reasons for this is because I don’t believe there can be an actual, completed infinity*. It’s reasonable to assume that the first cause needed to be more “powerful� (possessed more usable energy) then the universe(s) – as discussed in prior posts in this thread. But this argument only establishes a lower bound to the power of the first cause. What leads you to believe a first cause must have infinite power? For that matter, what leads you to label this entity a god (or God, if you prefer)? Neither has been established in this thread.
Firstly, see my definition of God above. Simply shorthand for the reason for existence. Nothing religious implied. (Also see my ‘Non-Religious’ Usergroup definition)

I thought I had explained why a first cause must be infinite. But apparently not very well. Sorry.

Something exists so a (hypothetical) first cause must have non-zero power. But for it to have a specific finite power implies that there is a reason for limiting it to exactly that power. Something must be prior to the first cause to establish that limitation. There might be a succession of causes but ultimately there must be either an infinite first cause, one which is not limited by anything prior, or an infinite succession of finite causes that have their values for possibly absurd reasons. The sum of power in that succession would be infinite. Either way I do not see how to get away from infinity.

fredonly wrote: *Here’s an argument against an actual (completed) infinity:
The concept of infinity is rooted in potential. Time potentially proceeds infinitely into the future.
That is an assumption that the finite is logically prior to the infinite. The infinite might be logically prior. Remember my point above about why a finite thing should be exactly as finite as it is.
fredonly wrote: However, taking the days and counting them one by one, infinity is never reached. We have simply defined a processs that has no endpoint. This demonstrates that the concept of infinity entails incompleteness; infinity can never be reached, because one more can always be added. An infinite past implies that an infinite number of days have completed; but this is an incoherent concept because infinity entails incompleteness and potential; the past has no potential and the past is completed.
In the Einsteinian worldview, the universe is a monobloc. It is legitimate to talk about the entire four dimensional space-time continuum. But current cosmology indicates that time will never end, that the universe will expand forever. In the Einsteinian view, an actual infinity exists.

As a side note, Aristotle thought the idea of nothingness so distasteful that he assumed the world must have existed forever. It must have been a hard decision because he also disliked infinity. If one imagines a world that has already existed forever, one is dealing with an actual infinity. The past has happened and leaves traces in the present. It cannot be treated as only potential.
fredonly wrote:
I’ll add that when someone uses the phrase, “an infinite number of…� there’s a problem, because “infinite� is not a number, it’s a process. You cannot have an infinite number of hotel rooms (as in Hilbert’s paradox), but you can keep adding rooms to your hotel potentially forever.

As an aside, and to ward off a common objection, I’ll mention that there are also two uses of infinity in mathematics. The first is in calculus, which utilizes infinities and infinitesimals. I’ve been in discussions in which this type of infinity is presented as being a completed infinity. But that is a misinterpretation. The infinities used in calculus are limits, which in the real world are just hypothetical, but for which mathematical patterns can be identified and utilized for important calculations.

The other use of infinity in mathematics is in Cantorian set theory. The fact that we can depict an infinite set like this: {1, 2, 3, …} gives the illusion that we have contained an infinity, but that’s not the case. It’s just a handy means of mathematically manipulating series of numbers (or objects) that are hypothetically infinite. The fact that the set of all positive even integers can be mapped one-to-one to the set of all positive integers demonstrates that there is a non-real-world aspect to the infinities represented in sets. Consider Bertram Russell’s Tristram Shandy paradox, which shows the problem with this sort of mapping:
Tristram Shandy is an author writing an auto-biography. Unfortunately, he writes very slowly; each day of his life takes him a year to write about.
The Tristram Shandy paradox asks: If Shandy continues at this rate for eternity then will his book ever be finished?

Using the rules of mapping sets, it would appear that in an infinite amount of time, he will finish. But in the real world, there is no point in time at which Shandy will actually be finished; in fact, he gets further and further behind. As the days proceed toward infinity, the number of days Shandy is behind grows larger. The lesson is that the real world doesn’t map into an infinite set, except in terms of hypotheticals; actual completed infinites cannot exist.
Again you are assuming that the finite is logically prior to the infinite. In Set Theory, the cardinal number of a set is fundamental. The cardinal number of the set of the rational numbers and the algebraic real numbers is � null. It is what it is no matter what infinite subset you wish to invoke. (The infinite ordinal ω is another matter. One can do consistent arithmetic with it including adding to it.) Before one dismisses Set Theory as nonsensical do not forget that one can generate all of mathematics from it. And although one cannot demonstrate the consistency of arithmetic by finitistic methods, one can do it using properties of transfinite cardinals.

BTW the Tristam Shandy paradox is not valid. It simultaneously (and sneakily) assumes unending infinity and an end to the process. A mapping set involves cardinality, not ordinality. The Thompson’s Lamp problem makes the same mistake. In both cases there is no end. That is what infinity means.

Ref:
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

fredonly
Guru

Post #18

Post by fredonly »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
If one defines God as simply the reason for existence (whatever that term entails) it becomes difficult to talk about the existence of the reason for existence. And talking about the reason for existence not existing gets a little weird. It may be that existence is absurd – there is no reason. But that raises the question of why there should be the possibility of order. I don’t mean the ID godidit kind of incidental order but the fact that the universe is in the whole an orderly place. It is possible to make up laws that describe its behavior pretty well. If the universe is absurd, why should this be the case? But I am an ignostic. I don’t believe we can ever properly answer questions like that. But we can set logical limits on what can be and what cannot be. Thus my little game of an omnipotent God not being the god of the Bible on ‘engineering’ grounds.
As with most words, “reason� is ambiguous. In the present context, consider Leibniz’ principle of sufficient reason:
There can be found no fact that is true or existent, or any true proposition without there being a sufficient reason for its being so and not otherwise, although we cannot know these reasons in most cases.

In the above sense, “reason� does not imply intent, but this is how some people interpret it - if they’re predisposed to believe that there is a sentient being that is behind it all. Leibniz is really just describing causality, with a little twist. A cause is also a reason, . But if something is uncaused, it still has a reason (this is the twist): the necessity of its own existence. A necessary truth is one that could not have been otherwise; it’s negation is a contradiction. A contingent truth is one that could be otherwise; under different circumstances it would not be true. A necessary entity is one that exists necessarily; it couldn’t NOT exist. A (generic) first cause is necessary, because in the absence of a first cause – there would be no existence.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
I thought I had explained why a first cause must be infinite. But apparently not very well. Sorry.
You did, but it has 2 problems: 1)it is only meaningful if an actual infinity can exist. 2) you assume that a first cause has infinite power by default. This seems ad hoc.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Something exists so a (hypothetical) first cause must have non-zero power. But for it to have a specific finite power implies that there is a reason for limiting it to exactly that power. Something must be prior to the first cause to establish that limitation. There might be a succession of causes but ultimately there must be either an infinite first cause, one which is not limited by anything prior, or an infinite succession of finite causes that have their values for possibly absurd reasons. The sum of power in that succession would be infinite. Either way I do not see how to get away from infinity.
To restate the problem: you have not made a case for getting TO infinity. There are absolutely no examples of an actualized infinity existing in nature. Infinity is a product of the imagination, an abstraction that has certain mathematical properties. Abstract existence is a far cry from actualization in the real world.

ThatGirlAgain wrote: That is an assumption that the finite is logically prior to the infinite. The infinite might be logically prior. Remember my point above about why a finite thing should be exactly as finite as it is.
"Logically prior" is too weak a relationship. What's relevant here is "temporally prior," time progresses sequentially. You are simply ASSUMING infinity, not making a case for an actual infinity existing. The fact is, there IS no such case.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
fredonly wrote: However, taking the days and counting them one by one, infinity is never reached. We have simply defined a processs that has no endpoint. This demonstrates that the concept of infinity entails incompleteness; infinity can never be reached, because one more can always be added. An infinite past implies that an infinite number of days have completed; but this is an incoherent concept because infinity entails incompleteness and potential; the past has no potential and the past is completed.
In the Einsteinian worldview, the universe is a monobloc. It is legitimate to talk about the entire four dimensional space-time continuum. But current cosmology indicates that time will never end, that the universe will expand forever. In the Einsteinian view, an actual infinity exists.
The Einsteinian view is a mathematical model intended to describe some aspects of reality. You are mistaking the model for the reality. Einstein originally assumed the universe was infinite in both space and time. Physicists do not always make the best metaphysicists.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
As a side note, Aristotle thought the idea of nothingness so distasteful that he assumed the world must have existed forever. It must have been a hard decision because he also disliked infinity. If one imagines a world that has already existed forever, one is dealing with an actual infinity. The past has happened and leaves traces in the present. It cannot be treated as only potential.
Note that your starting point is IMAGINING an infinite past, again – an unjustified assumption. Try and justify it.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
fredonly wrote:
I’ll add that when someone uses the phrase, “an infinite number of…� there’s a problem, because “infinite� is not a number, it’s a process. You cannot have an infinite number of hotel rooms (as in Hilbert’s paradox), but you can keep adding rooms to your hotel potentially forever.

Again you are assuming that the finite is logically prior to the infinite.
I again take issue with your term “logically prior� since it ignores the fact that events occur in time. It is self-evident that time proceeds sequentially in discrete units of finite duration. The past consists of a set of such discrete units of time, call them “days.� How can there be infinitely many days prior to today? We would never reach today, because it is impossible to complete an infinity.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
In Set Theory, the cardinal number of a set is fundamental. The cardinal number of the set of the rational numbers and the algebraic real numbers is � null. It is what it is no matter what infinite subset you wish to invoke. (The infinite ordinal ω is another matter. One can do consistent arithmetic with it including adding to it.) Before one dismisses Set Theory as nonsensical do not forget that one can generate all of mathematics from it. And although one cannot demonstrate the consistency of arithmetic by finitistic methods, one can do it using properties of transfinite cardinals.
Set Theory is not nonsensical, but it deals with abstractions, not the real world. A “cardinal number� is not a number. It’s a descriptor that identifies the type of set it maps into. A set with cardinality of aleph-null can be mapped into the set of natural numbers. That’s all it means. You are making the very mistake I described, the fact that there are mathematical uses of infinity, and means or representing this concept on paper, gives you the illusion that infinity can exist in the real world. Give me an example of an actual (not potential) infinity.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
BTW the Tristam Shandy paradox is not valid. It simultaneously (and sneakily) assumes unending infinity and an end to the process.
It assumes no such thing, it just asks a question. It succeeds in demonstrating the problem of mapping mathematical infinities into the real world. The cardinality of the set {days of Shandy's life} is aleph-null; the cardinality of the set {documented days of Shandy's life} is also aleph null. But the mathematical operation of mapping is atemporal, conceptually simultaneous. But the real world is temporal, which Cantorian set theory doesn't deal with.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
A mapping set involves cardinality, not ordinality.
Exactly correct, but “cardinality� is nothing more than a mathematical concept –it doesn’t map into the real world, as I just discussed.
ThatGirlAgain wrote: The Thompson’s Lamp problem makes the same mistake. In both cases there is no end. That is what infinity means.
That’s exactly what I’m saying, and is exactly why the past cannot be infinite:
1)Infinity means there is no end (ThatGirlAgain and I agree on this premise)
2) Time proceeds in one direction from past to present to future (physicists call this the arrow of time; it is a self-evident property of time)
3)The past has ended (the past, as viewed from our present moment of time, is a done-deal).
4) Conclusion: the past is not infinite (follows from 1, 3)

The mere fact that we can define an abstract entity, such as infinity, does not imply that it actually exists in the real world. Abstract algebra deals with other abstract entities (such as rings and fields) – but no one would ever suggest these exist I the real world.
The assumption that a real world, actual infinity exists is just as logically flawed as the assumption that a god exists. Both "god" and "infinity" can be conceptualized, their properties can be identified, and both concepts exist as intangible abstractions in our minds, but that doesn't imply they exist in the real world. You have assumed infinity exists and proceeded to draw conclusions from that. A Christian assumes God exists and draws conclusions from that. But there are no good arguments for the existence of either.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
As with most words, “reason� is ambiguous. In the present context, consider Leibniz’ principle of sufficient reason:
There can be found no fact that is true or existent, or any true proposition without there being a sufficient reason for its being so and not otherwise, although we cannot know these reasons in most cases.

In the above sense, “reason� does not imply intent, but this is how some people interpret it - if they’re predisposed to believe that there is a sentient being that is behind it all. Leibniz is really just describing causality, with a little twist. A cause is also a reason, . But if something is uncaused, it still has a reason (this is the twist): the necessity of its own existence. A necessary truth is one that could not have been otherwise; its negation is a contradiction. A contingent truth is one that could be otherwise; under different circumstances it would not be true. A necessary entity is one that exists necessarily; it couldn’t NOT exist. A (generic) first cause is necessary, because in the absence of a first cause – there would be no existence.
The concept of a necessary being leads one into deep and muddy waters. I am not arguing that one today, in either direction. But it does raise the question that gives some theists the hives. :lol: Is God – and now I mean the personal God of theists – dependent on logic or exempt from it? Will touch on that again below.

In the meantime I agree that a sentient being behind it all is not necessarily implicit in a first cause argument.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:

You did, but it has 2 problems: 1)it is only meaningful if an actual infinity can exist. 2) you assume that a first cause has infinite power by default. This seems ad hoc.
My argument was that a non-zero but non-infinite potentiality requires an explanation. Why is it exactly what it is and not something else? One might resort to the absurdist answer (not intended pejoratively BTW) that it just is that way with no explanation needed. But this fails to take into account that this violation of sufficient cause comes equipped with apparently unbreakable sufficient cause built in. The universe is an orderly and lawful place in which thing s happen for reasons. The rules of the game are quite weird from the mundane human point of view but there are rules. What that elaborate set of rules derives from is unexplained.

Quantum Theory is sometimes raised as proof of the absence of sufficient cause but this is an error. QT fully incorporates causality. And the results are statistically deterministic even if they do not meet intuitive expectations derived from experience in the human level world.

The existence of rules of the game suggests we should avoid absurdism. How then do we explain the precise nature of the world we live in. It could have been something else. Why is it the way it is? A first cause that is only capable of this must be constrained in some way. What constrains it? There must be something prior to it. So it is not the first cause after all. Is the previous cause constrained in any way? Then there must be something prior that constrains it. One can either have an infinite sequence of increasingly less constrained causes or a single genuine first cause that is unconstrained in its capabilities, i.e., infinite. Either way you get infinity. Do you have a way of having a world under specific constraints that could have been otherwise without ending up with infinity?

There is of course the theist way: a conscious personal God with the ability to arbitrarily choose. But what leads such a God to make this specific choice? Same problem again.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: Something exists so a (hypothetical) first cause must have non-zero power. But for it to have a specific finite power implies that there is a reason for limiting it to exactly that power. Something must be prior to the first cause to establish that limitation. There might be a succession of causes but ultimately there must be either an infinite first cause, one which is not limited by anything prior, or an infinite succession of finite causes that have their values for possibly absurd reasons. The sum of power in that succession would be infinite. Either way I do not see how to get away from infinity.

To restate the problem: you have not made a case for getting TO infinity. There are absolutely no examples of an actualized infinity existing in nature. Infinity is a product of the imagination, an abstraction that has certain mathematical properties. Abstract existence is a far cry from actualization in the real world.
I do not see that I need to get TO infinity if I have shown a way of coming FROM infinity. The non-existence of actualized infinities in nature is not an obstacle. First of all it may not be the case.

The most successful known laws of fundamental physics, Quantum Theory and General Relativity, both lead to infinities in their calculations. QT circumvents the problem via Quantum Electrodynamics (QED) in which mathematically illegal operations are used to cancel out the infinities. This is called renormalization. (It is suspected that Richard Feynman, inveterate prankster that he was, chose the name QED to thumb his nose at mathematicians.)

But no one has yet been able to formulate a replacement for QT that eliminates the infinities from the start. There has been much speculation and profligate generation of abstruse theory building but no real results yet despite decades of work.

The infinities are inherent in GR and cannot be eliminated by mathematical trickery. Renormalization is not possible. Yet the most exotic prediction of GR and one that leads directly to these infinities – black holes – are now the stock in trade of astronomers in explaining the phenomena they observe.

It may be that the universe is in fact infinite in extent. We can only observe out to the event horizon, the limit of from how far off light could have reached us since the beginning of the universe. We do not know how much more of it there may be. The accelerating expansion of the universe suggests a hyperbolic space-time, which is necessarily infinite. But the existence of a ringer like dark energy still allows a physically finite universe.
The existence of actual physical infinities has not been definitively ruled out. Nonetheless my argument is about causes prior to the universe. Physical infinities need not exist within the universe. It is the fact that the world is finite – that is, limited in certain ways – is what leads to the concept of an infinite prior cause.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: That is an assumption that the finite is logically prior to the infinite. The infinite might be logically prior. Remember my point above about why a finite thing should be exactly as finite as it is.
"Logically prior" is too weak a relationship. What's relevant here is "temporally prior," time progresses sequentially. You are simply ASSUMING infinity, not making a case for an actual infinity existing. The fact is, there IS no such case.
“Temporally prior� is problematic in contemporary physics. In relativity simultaneity does not exist. The order of events is not necessarily the same for two observers and the time interval between the events is very likely different. Time does not flow at the same rate for all observers. It is dependent on relative motion and gravitational field strength. (GPS satellites must take this into account.) In intense gravitational fields such as black holes, an observer falling in will see time progress normally (assuming he/she is not destroyed by side effects). An observer outside will see that falling observer never reach the black hole. Hawking et al. speculate that at the beginning of the universe the time dimension goes ‘sideways’ like the surface of the Earth at the poles. Kip Thorne even claims to have shown that General Relativity allows backward time travel and dares anyone to debunk his math in a professional peer-reviewed physics journal.

In the quantum world time may even be stranger. The non-intuitive results predicted by John Bell seem to rule out local causality. One proposed solution to preserve locality involves ‘advanced waves’, influences that go backward in time. Advanced waves are predicted by Maxwell’s theory of electrodynamics but have never been observed. And at the shortest distances, QT predicts that the meaning of time just goes away.

Logical causality sounds like a better safe haven than temporal progression. Things happen for a reason. What happens may seem strange to us who have live our lives in an ‘ordinary’ world. But things are not causeless.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
The Einsteinian view is a mathematical model intended to describe some aspects of reality. You are mistaking the model for the reality. Einstein originally assumed the universe was infinite in both space and time. Physicists do not always make the best metaphysicists.
I believe you are mistaking ordinary everyday experience, which is not well supported by scientific investigation, for metaphysical necessities. Scientific investigation has demonstrated that the world is round, contradicting the intuitive expectations of the uninformed. The roundness of the world is not merely abstract. It is real with real consequences. Einstein’s theories have real everyday consequences. The computer you type on incorporates several technologies that arose from relativistic quantum theory. Before relativity was incorporated, QT did not work well. As mentioned above, GPS satellites must take General Relativity into account to work right. Einstein’s theories describe the real world despite their non-intuitive character. We must take them seriously.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
Note that your starting point is IMAGINING an infinite past, again – an unjustified assumption. Try and justify it.
It was Aristotle’s starting point not mine. My point was that whichever way he turned, Aristotle bumped into either nothingness or infinity. There is something and not just nothingness. Why the exact nature of that something and not something else?
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
fredonly wrote:

Again you are assuming that the finite is logically prior to the infinite.
I again take issue with your term “logically prior� since it ignores the fact that events occur in time. It is self-evident that time proceeds sequentially in discrete units of finite duration. The past consists of a set of such discrete units of time, call them “days.� How can there be infinitely many days prior to today? We would never reach today, because it is impossible to complete an infinity.
Time and its nature is an aspect of the physics of this universe. Even Augustine came to that conclusion. Time did not exist ‘before’ the universe. In that case, ‘before’ when applied to causes of the universe cannot mean temporally prior. It can only mean logicallyprior.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
In Set Theory, the cardinal number of a set is fundamental. The cardinal number of the set of the rational numbers and the algebraic real numbers is � null. It is what it is no matter what infinite subset you wish to invoke. (The infinite ordinal ω is another matter. One can do consistent arithmetic with it including adding to it.) Before one dismisses Set Theory as nonsensical do not forget that one can generate all of mathematics from it. And although one cannot demonstrate the consistency of arithmetic by finitistic methods, one can do it using properties of transfinite cardinals.
Set Theory is not nonsensical, but it deals with abstractions, not the real world. A “cardinal number� is not a number. It’s a descriptor that identifies the type of set it maps into. A set with cardinality of aleph-null can be mapped into the set of natural numbers. That’s all it means. You are making the very mistake I described, the fact that there are mathematical uses of infinity, and means or representing this concept on paper, gives you the illusion that infinity can exist in the real world. Give me an example of an actual (not potential) infinity.
Numbers themselves are only abstractions. When you count on your fingers, you are counting different things. The thumb and the index finger are not the same. The number you are counting exists only in your head, not in the real world. Cardinal numbers are abstractions? So are integers.

If there are no physical infinities – and remember my discussion above – it is a consequence of the universe being limited in some fashion. What limits it? Is that also limited? What limits that? The universe just is without reason? Then where does its internal reasonableness come from?
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
BTW the Tristam Shandy paradox is not valid. It simultaneously (and sneakily) assumes unending infinity and an end to the process.
It assumes no such thing, it just asks a question. It succeeds in demonstrating the problem of mapping mathematical infinities into the real world. The cardinality of the set {days of Shandy's life} is aleph-null; the cardinality of the set {documented days of Shandy's life} is also aleph null. But the mathematical operation of mapping is atemporal, conceptually simultaneous. But the real world is temporal, which Cantorian set theory doesn't deal with.
The Tristam Shandy paradox assumes an end at which a comparison can be made between the days lived and the days written about. There is no such end. No paradox arises there. Viewed in their entirety the cardinality of the set of days written and the set of days lived are both aleph null in accordance with the precepts of set theory. You cannot compare ordinality with cardinality. They are not the same. And BTW set theory as moved way beyond Cantor. ZFC might even get supplanted by something like NBG, which resolves the ‘set of all sets’ issue by formally defining classes.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
A mapping set involves cardinality, not ordinality.
Exactly correct, but “cardinality� is nothing more than a mathematical concept –it doesn’t map into the real world, as I just discussed.
Neither do ordinal numbers, as I just discussed. Stop using ordinality and I will stop using cardinality. And again, all of mathematics can be derived from set theory, and cardinality is the heart of set theory.
fredonly wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote: The Thompson’s Lamp problem makes the same mistake. In both cases there is no end. That is what infinity means.

That’s exactly what I’m saying, and is exactly why the past cannot be infinite:
1)Infinity means there is no end (ThatGirlAgain and I agree on this premise)
2) Time proceeds in one direction from past to present to future (physicists call this the arrow of time; it is a self-evident property of time)
3)The past has ended (the past, as viewed from our present moment of time, is a done-deal).
4) Conclusion: the past is not infinite (follows from 1, 3)
I did not say the past was infinite. Aristotle did. Contemporary physics holds that the universe has finite history. (Contemporary speculation is another matter, involving achievable past (and future) infinities like eternal inflation or universes born in black holes. But not today, OK?)

The arrow of time is by no means self-evident. It is merely our everyday experience. The laws of physics are time-symmetric. They work the same forward and backward. At the quantum level one cannot distinguish a direction in time. This so called arrow of time is usually justified by the Second Law of Thermodynamics (SLOT). But for that to yield the results we see today requires continuous sources of low entropy. Why do they still exist in a 13 billion year old universe? Why is there fossil fuel to provide our energy? Because plants and animals got their energy from the Sun. Where does the Sun get its energy? From thermonuclear reactions in its core. Why do they happen? Because gravity compresses the Sun that much. Nuclear power plants? The uranium they ultimately depend on (plutonium is made from uranium) did not exist at the beginning of the universe. It was formed in supernovas. Why did those supernovas happen? Gravity. Every example of the low entropy you can find ultimately derives from gravity. SLOT is an artifact of the nature of the universe, not a fundamental law.

A question: why is gravity always down? Why is there no anti-gravity? Because all the mass-energy of the universe has a positive sign. Negative mass-energy would push instead of pulling. (In GR terms, space-time would bend the other way.) Why does the universe have only positive mass-energy? Everything else seems to come in plus and minus forms. Physicists see no reason why negative mass-energy is impossible. It just does not happen. Why? What constrains the universe in this way? Does that constraint have a prior constraint? And so on…
fredonly wrote:
The mere fact that we can define an abstract entity, such as infinity, does not imply that it actually exists in the real world. Abstract algebra deals with other abstract entities (such as rings and fields) – but no one would ever suggest these exist I the real world.

The assumption that a real world, actual infinity exists is just as logically flawed as the assumption that a god exists. Both "god" and "infinity" can be conceptualized, their properties can be identified, and both concepts exist as intangible abstractions in our minds, but that doesn't imply they exist in the real world. You have assumed infinity exists and proceeded to draw conclusions from that. A Christian assumes God exists and draws conclusions from that. But there are no good arguments for the existence of either.
My definition of ‘God’ given someplace upstream is simply a shorthand term for the reason things exist.

I have not assumed infinity exists. I cannot see any way around it existing at the – let’s call it metaphysical level. The (presumed) absence of physical infinities within the universe is not applicable to what can be outside the universe. And throwing away the “outside’ possibility leads to an absurdism that somehow goes away once the universe is here.

As I mentioned briefly in this thread and argued at greater length elsewhere, my take on things is that the required infinity (unconstrainedness) is neither a single omnipotent entity sitting outside the universe nor an infinite regression of successfully more powerful ‘first’ causes’. My infinity is a ‘sideways’ one, to speak metaphorically. Everything that can exist does simply because it is logically possible. The law of non-contradiction leads to the necessity of separate universe to isolate potential contradictions from each other. To steal a phrase (entirely out of context :lol:) existence is prior to essence.

Where does logic come from? Is it possible to deny the necessary existence of logic? Is a source of logic needed? How does one even argue such a thing? Now you see why I am a non-religious ignostic.

Unfortunately I have come to the very end of time I can waste on this site for the near future. I think we have reached the point where we are both repeating ourselves anyway. Goodbye bye (briefly I hope) and thanks for all the fish. I will return when I can even if just for the halibut. :roll:
- Bertrand Russell

Autodidact
Prodigy

Re: From Dawkins, to Omnipotence, (don't) come in, Omnipoten

Post #20

Post by Autodidact »

Within my normal frame of reference regarding the physical world (chemical-electrical as well as mechanical), it makes no sense to me that there can be anything which, while unmoving, can cause something else to move.
*cough cough* magnets *cough*

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #21

Post by McCulloch »

Autodidact wrote:
Within my normal frame of reference regarding the physical world (chemical-electrical as well as mechanical), it makes no sense to me that there can be anything which, while unmoving, can cause something else to move.
ahem! Magnets only work because of the movement of many electrons. Get something for that cough!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

McCulloch wrote:
Autodidact wrote:
ahem! Magnets only work because of the movement of many electrons. Get something for that cough!
Magnets are attracted by objects made of magnetic metals just as strongly as those objects are attracted to the magnet. Newton's Third Law and all that. The book may not move but the magnet does.
- Bertrand Russell

fredonly
Guru

Post #23

Post by fredonly »

ThatGirlAgain wrote: I have not assumed infinity exists. I cannot see any way around it existing at the – let’s call it metaphysical level. The (presumed) absence of physical infinities within the universe is not applicable to what can be outside the universe. And throwing away the “outside’ possibility leads to an absurdism that somehow goes away once the universe is here.
Curious. Your first two sentences appear to contradict one another, unless by "metaphysical" level, you mean "conceptual" level. If you are not convinced that actual infinities can exist within the universe, why would you think they would exist outside of it? Is it simply because of your axiom, "that which is logically possible, exists?" How do you know there is an "outside" to the universe? There is no commonly accepted evidence for other universes, and there are cosmological hypotheses that explain the big bang and universe without assuming a multiverse. Given the uncertainty of all this, IMO- there is insufficient evidence to make any specific assumption. But if you insist on possessing the reason for a solitary universe, here it is:

If the universe is all there is, then the universe is necessary (as in the necessary/contingent dichotomy). Necessity is sufficient reason for its existence; no need to look further or expect more.
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
As I mentioned briefly in this thread and argued at greater length elsewhere, my take on things is that the required infinity (unconstrainedness) is neither a single omnipotent entity sitting outside the universe nor an infinite regression of successfully more powerful ‘first’ causes’. My infinity is a ‘sideways’ one, to speak metaphorically. Everything that can exist does simply because it is logically possible. The law of non-contradiction leads to the necessity of separate universe to isolate potential contradictions from each other. To steal a phrase (entirely out of context ) existence is prior to essence.
I cannot fathom why you insist that all logically possible things DO exist. Personally, I only accept existence if a sufficiently persuasive case can be made for it. For me, a minimally persuasive case is one that leads one to believe that it's existence is more probable than its non-existence. But that's just me. Why would you think that all imaginable entities, that are logically possible, actually exist? (BTW, this surely means you believe Yahweh exists, since she's logically possible). I feel like making a citizen's arrest on behalf of the Occam police department, for your multiple violations of the law of parsimony.

Regarding "unconstrainedness" - you have indicated that the power of the first cause should be assumed infinite, unless we can justify an upper bound. I suggest that a better, more parsimonious, assumption is that the power of the first cause has no discernable limit. This avoids committing to the actual existence of infinity. You have agreed that actual infinities may not exist in our world. If that is the case, this implies the logical possibility that there are worlds which lack infinity. then this implies that infinity would not be necessary (that which is necessary, is true in all possible worlds). If some world lacks infinity, then (by definition) infinity is not necessary. If infinity is not necessary, then it is irrational to assume it exists in any particular world (unless you can somehow derive its existence from the world's parameters).

ThatGirlAgain wrote: Where does logic come from? Is it possible to deny the necessary existence of logic? Is a source of logic needed? How does one even argue such a thing?
If logic is indeed NECESSARY, than it doesn't come from anything because necessary truths exist solely by necessity. Just like a first cause exists by necessity, with no other cause or reason for it. Here's my proof that logic is necessary:
1. Logic is true in this world (assumption)
2. The necessary/contingent dichotomy is derived through sound logic in this world (a necessary truth is one whose negation entails a contradiction; necessary = true in all worlds)
3. The negation of #1 is a contradiction (logic cannot be both true and untrue)
4. Therefore logic is necessary (which entails that logic is true in all worlds)