Confused
Site Supporter

An infinite eternal God

Post #1

Post by Confused »

In another thread, brotherhoodofmen was quoted as saying the following:
brotherhoodofmen wrote:
Confused wrote:

……….Being righteous changes from person to person, culture to culture, and generation to generation. The concept evolves just as our understanding of scripture evolves with time as well. So what is righteous today may not be so tomorrow…….
Hi Confused,
I agree. Our concept of goodness or righteousness evolves and it gets better and nearer to the truth as is our concept of God. Everything is evolving in this evolutionary universe we live in. Truth is always relative here in this universe of space and time. Only the infinite eternal God is absolute truth. Only when we attain God will we attain absolute truth.

FOGBOM
Questions for debate are as follows:
1) What is an infinite eternal God? Can we validate His existence?
2) What is absolute truth? Can we attain it from this infinite eternal God? If so, how?
3) If the Christian God is to be considered the infinite eternal God, what is His absolute truth and where can we find validation for this truth?
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

faith
Scholar

Re: An infinite eternal God

Post #2

Post by faith »

Firstly, let me say I do not agree that rightousness changes from person to person when it comes to Christ and the righteousness God requires from a person.
Neither does the understanding of scripture evolve or change according to times.

Let me explain those reasons according to the teachings of Scripture and Christ.

John 4: Lady at well makes it clear that the Messiah would lead all to the final truth of Gods teachings which gave rise to the different teachings of pharisee and Sadducees being conflicting but acceptable. Christ/Messiah giving the truth.

Christ taught that the righteousness of anyone expecting to enter the Kingdom of heaven had to exceed that of the Pharisee who upheld all laws most strictly.

The NT teaches that it is not the persons own righteousness they must have but that we are only the righteousness of God through Christ Jesus.
The only way to be made clean and be righteous before God is through Christ.
Which means being born of spirit and truth as taught by Christ in John 4 to woman by well.

Galatians 5 explains the difference between the righteousness of God and the leading of the Spirit and not the flesh. It does not change from time to time or person to person who is born of Spirit and Truth.

Confused wrote:In another thread, brotherhoodofmen was quoted as saying the following:
brotherhoodofmen wrote:
Confused wrote:

……….Being righteous changes from person to person, culture to culture, and generation to generation. The concept evolves just as our understanding of scripture evolves with time as well. So what is righteous today may not be so tomorrow…….
Hi Confused,
I agree. Our concept of goodness or righteousness evolves and it gets better and nearer to the truth as is our concept of God. Everything is evolving in this evolutionary universe we live in. Truth is always relative here in this universe of space and time. Only the infinite eternal God is absolute truth. Only when we attain God will we attain absolute truth.

FOGBOM

I think an 'Immortal God' would be a better way to express this.
What is existence? Outside there being more than one human being could you prove a human existed? To exist is not limited to the senses or knowledge of what is acceptable to man and his senses. We have a crop every year thanks to farmers. But do you see the seed actually growing beneath the earth?
You do not know it exists to you see the fruit of the seed growing above ground.

Christs power was only witnessed by those who saw it.
The truth of the Spirit and God are only witnessed by those who know God and are indwelt by the Spirit. According to the bible the things they did show something greater than mans will was with them.
Validating Gods existence can be done by the witness of those men if we so choose. How and by what means can you validate God...other than what we have already seen others profess happened and doing today?

2) What is absolute truth? Can we attain it from this infinite eternal God? If so, how?
As Christ said: "If you obey my words you will know if they come from myself" He also said: " if you believe in him you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."

Christ is the way.... but how you going to find out for sure?
3) If the Christian God is to be considered the infinite eternal God, what is His absolute truth and where can we find validation for this truth?
It is written through the bible and yet you still ask?
A little like the watch question. If God gave you a watch would you honour him most by using it or asking him the time? :)

The answers have already been given.

You need to decide why you want to know and ask yourself what you will do with the information now you have it. Then the answer is clear. You alone can decide and find the answers if you choose for the right reason.

The sower and the seed.

Faith. :)

Flail

Re: An infinite eternal God

Post #3

Post by Flail »

Confused wrote:In another thread, brotherhoodofmen was quoted as saying the following:
brotherhoodofmen wrote:
Confused wrote:

Hi Confused,

FOGBOM
Evolution is change, not betterment; betterment is a subjective notion. Morals are social contracts, expressed and implied within societies and evolve as a consequence of culture.
While I agree that what is 'considered' righteous and moral evolves over time and within societies; and that likewise our interpretation and understanding of scriptural philosophy, as with all other philosophy or ontology, evolves; I cannot agree that there is necessarily any ultimate truth or absolute morality. This is not to say that there are no absolute truths and moralities, but rather that we are (because of our human condition) unable to discern or 'know' them if they indeed exist at all.

The problem with 'God' is that we have no coherent definition of supernaturals or the term 'God'; such that any discussion of 'God's' supposed existence or non-existence is meaningless.

Which points to the primary danger of and problem with pretending that 'God' is BibleGod; BibleGod fundamentally inhibits our evolution; indoctrinations and dogmas stifle change; and without change we get anywhere 'else'.

postroad
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by postroad »

Jesus asks the Father in John 17 to provide proof to the unbelieving world of his legitimacy.

That proof being that the body of believers be transformed into perfect sinless unity in the flesh as per the prophecies of the OT.

Christians are the proof of the perfect unity of the Father and the Son.

John 17:20-21

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)

Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
So the Father and Jesus are one in exactly the same way that believers are united in belief and action.

I would consider the proof to be a failure never minding that Jesus betrayed himself in this prayer. Their was to be no belief through human messengers in the new covenant.
Jeremiah 31:33-34

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)

33 “This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after that time,� declares the LORD.
“I will put my law in their minds
and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
34 No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,�
declares the LORD.
“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.�
Or are we talking about the concept that most of the Law and its history was something the Priests conjured up out of their imagination to explain the situation they found themselves in during the exile in Babylon

Instead of admitting that their God had allowed them to suffer defeat they blamed themselves and the people for not adhering to the "Law" and their God was not a failure but was only punishing them until some point in the future when a glorious remnant would return to triumphantly possess the land forever.

Repeat as necessary.