Unsure
13%

Total votes: 62

canadianhorsefan
Student

Islam

Post #1

Post by canadianhorsefan »

Well, just want to see if anyone is interested why Islam is right.

canadianhorsefan

veritas
Student

Re: Islam

Post #2

Post by veritas »

canadianhorsefan wrote:Well, just want to see if anyone is interested why Islam is right.
Peace be upon you, Canadianhorsefan,

For my part, I had to put "unsure." Yes, I believe in a Creator God: from your point of view, however, I would be considered a Pagan, because my best understanding of the Creator God is expressed in two forms, one male, one female. As such, my beliefs go strictly against the Qur'an.

To most Muslims, I would be considered an Infidel: but I have to wonder if it is so simple. We both agree that God is merciful and munificent. Even though I understand God best in terms of male and female, I know that God is One, and that it is only the limits of my understanding that make me see the Creator God in the forms that I do.

Yet like all of us, even like Muhammad (pbuh), I am a human being with human limits. My finite, frail human mind cannot fully understand the Creator God, yet I do know a little, and I carry my little knowledge (and even littler wisdom) with great care and humility, as God has directed me to do.

The scholars and teachers of your faith may say that because I do not call upon the name of Allah, the merciful, the munificent, that I am bound for hell. Yet I tell you this, little sister: though we call the Creator God by different names, yet we both call on the Creator God. Muhammad, may peace be upon him, called God by the name of Allah; Jesus, may peace be upon him, called God by the name Adonai; I, not being worthy to wash the feet of the Prophets, call the Creator God Kernunos and Aradia.

If I do ill in this, then God is still merciful, and I have faith that God will still smile upon me in That Day, even as I pray that God--known by many names--will smile on all of Creation.

May God, whom we both serve, always be pleased with you.

Justin

canadianhorsefan
Student

Post #3

Think of God as not being male or female. Just an all-powerful merciful God. Allah is Arabic for God; God is English for Allah. They all mean the same thing. However, wehn you pray, you speak Arabic, and therefore there is only one name for God in Arabic: Allah.

It may be easier to think of Him as male and female; He is far from our puny comprehension. However, try and think of Him as being neither, just a Creator with no gender.

canadianhorsefan

veritas
Student

Post #4

Post by veritas »

canadianhorsefan wrote:Think of God as not being male or female. Just an all-powerful merciful God.
Oh, I know it is the height of foolishness to think of God as male and female, yet I have always considered myself to be nothing more than God's fool. :) Yet even a fool may be vouchsafed a little wisdom from God, who is most generous.

There are five "pillars" of Islam: the Shahadah, the Salat, the Zakat, the Sawm Ramadan, and the Hajj. You know this far better than I. Yet could you point out the differences between me and you? Even though I see God as male and female, I know that there is only one God. I speak to God as has been revealed to me. I give of my goods, and of my time and effort, to feed the poor. I cannot fast (for I am frail), yet I feed the poor for many more days than Ramadan requires. I cannot take the Hajj, for I would not be welcome in Mecca, but does not God own all of the earth, so that every place one goes is holy ground?

Ah, but you have already seen the difference, no doubt: I do not seek my guidance from the words of Muhammad, may peace be upon him. It is for this cause that many Muslims will say that I am bound for hell, but only God know my heart, and it is to God that I submit myself.
Allah is Arabic for God; God is English for Allah. They all mean the same thing. However, wehn you pray, you speak Arabic, and therefore there is only one name for God in Arabic: Allah.
I must humbly correct one point you made: when you pray, you do indeed pray in Arabic, for such is the understanding of Islam. When I pray, if I pray out loud, I pray in English, for such is my understanding. Surely it matters litle, for God not only knows all of the tongues of humanity, but also what is in the heart.
It may be easier to think of Him as male and female; He is far from our puny comprehension. However, try and think of Him as being neither, just a Creator with no gender.
I understand and respect what you say, and indeed, I agree. Yet God has led me on another path, and I must do as our Creator has bid me. Nonetheless, I would not have you worried, for I know that you would warn those who follow another way from hellfire. THerefore, I tell you this, my sister: I have faith that God, most merciful, will see my submission. If it is within God's mercy, God will smile upon me--if it is not, then that, too, is the will of God.

Justin

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Piper Plexed »

I voted Yes. I must admit ignorance in the ways of Islam though as I grow older I have been able to get past my very western (ignorant) bias based on (what appeared to me to be) the negative treatment of woman in the cultures that practice the faith. I have explored many other faiths through the course of my life and have found a common thread of kindness love and faith in a higher power. It is this appreciation of faiths in general that has brought me back to the faith of my upbringing. I believe in my heart that Gods hand is in all practices of faith here on earth and that the actual rituals and doctrines stem from the culture that any one particular religion addresses. As long as a religion desires to know God be it monotheistic or polytheistic, if it's intent is pure, teaches love and charity for your fellow man it is a Jewel to be respected and nurtured by all persons of faith. For this reason, Allah must be God and Allah is the God that I also love. As a side note, canadianhorsefan, I was very pleased to learn that you joined this forum and I look forward to learning more about your faith.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

adherent
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by adherent »

Wait, you voted yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought christianity is not the same as Islam. And also I thought the Christian God is not the same as the Islamic god. Our religious texts don't even concur. I do think the descendents of Abrahams son ?Ishmael? by his wife Sarahs female servant were the ones who later came up with the religion of Islam.

adherent
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by adherent »

Also, I didn't grow up with a bias against Islam or any religion at all (except maybe Satanism). It's good how we have an Muslim to add some spice to the debates.

Piper Plexed
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Piper Plexed »

Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wait, you voted yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought christianity is not the same as Islam. And also I thought the Christian God is not the same as the Islamic god. Our religious texts don't even concur. I do think the descendents of Abrahams son ?Ishmael? by his wife Sarahs female servant were the ones who later came up with the religion of Islam.
I believe this is a belief (opinion) poll/question and if it helps you to understand my post then I will preface my response with

Do you believe in Allah(God)
...I believe or it is my opinion that Allah is God. I am not quite sure how this statement addresses the question for debate"Our religious texts don't even concur. I do think the descendents of Abrahams son ?Ishmael? by his wife Sarahs female servant were the ones who later came up with the religion of Islam." as I never said that the faiths are the same. :confused2: What I was trying to convey was that I believe in God and that God presides over all matters of faith here on earth.
*"I think, therefore I am" (Cogito, ergo sum)-Descartes
** I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that ...

canadianhorsefan
Student

Post #9

There is no Islamic and Christian God. Whoever believes that believes in polytheisim. We believe in the same God. However, our view of Him is different. Islam, for example, does not believe in the Trinity. It is foolish to do so. Why should Allah be divided into three parts? It is blasphemous. :confused2: Allah is One, the Merciful. Whoever believes in the Trinity is a disbeliever.

And I am confused: Why do people worship Shaitan (Satan)? He hates us, and although worshiping him may make us have wonderful things, like money and fame, what happens when we die? We are bound to Hell forever. And those who worship Shaitan will ask him for help, but he shall give none. And they shall ask Allah for help, and He will give them none.

A true Muslim is bound by the teachings of Islam; what Islam says, we must do. Someone who does not obey the teachings of Islam and calls himself a Muslim is a hypocrite. And in the Hereafter, there is only one place for hypocrites: Hell.

canadianhorsefan

Illyricum
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Illyricum »

canadianhorsefan wrote:Allah is One, the Merciful. Whoever believes in the Trinity is a disbeliever.
A disbeliever of Islam perhaps, but whoever does not believe in the Trinity is a disbeliever as well, of the christian faith.
And I am confused: Why do people worship Shaitan (Satan)? He hates us, and although worshiping him may make us have wonderful things, like money and fame, what happens when we die? We are bound to Hell forever.
And what about the people who believe in Islam? Where do they go when they die? If they do not believe that Jesus was God's son and that he was not the one that died on the cross, where is the redemption in that? How are they going to get to heaven?
A true Muslim is bound by the teachings of Islam; what Islam says, we must do. Someone who does not obey the teachings of Islam and calls himself a Muslim is a hypocrite. And in the Hereafter, there is only one place for hypocrites: Hell.
And there is only one place for those who do not believe in Jesus : Hell. Jesus said "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19