Two-on-two / Group Debates

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Should we add the ability for group debates?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Two-on-two / Group Debates

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

I love the head-to-head debate formate, however I think it would be great if you could have a debate that had 2-on-2, or even something like 5-on-5. Now of course this would prove rather hard at keeping things structured and ordered, but I have two different ideas how this could work (I will use WinePusher and Abraxas Are Libertarian Economics Fundamentally Sound? debate as a format which I will be adapting):

1. Each person takes a topic.
For example one person on each team tackles Round 1: The Enviroment, Energy and Food Safety. Then one person from each team takes on Round 2 etc.

That way people who have particular skills in debating certain areas can do that and help form a complete argument.

2. Free-for-all style
While you would have to have equal numbered teams, there is no order in who posts when. It works like the normal debate forums when people argue against what ever posts they want to. The only difference is that you can't have random people joining half way through the debate.

The good thing about this would be eventually you could have different groups (skeptics, LGBT, Christian's, Logic101 etc.) challenging another group and have a formate where people who are members of one of the two battling groups can join in, but no one else.

I personally prefer the first example more, what do you guys think?

Many thanks,

John
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Re: Two-on-two / Group Debates

Post #2

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

His Name Is John wrote:I love the head-to-head debate formate, however I think it would be great if you could have a debate that had 2-on-2, or even something like 5-on-5. Now of course this would prove rather hard at keeping things structured and ordered, but I have two different ideas how this could work (I will use WinePusher and Abraxas Are Libertarian Economics Fundamentally Sound? debate as a format which I will be adapting):

1. Each person takes a topic.
For example one person on each team tackles Round 1: The Enviroment, Energy and Food Safety. Then one person from each team takes on Round 2 etc.

That way people who have particular skills in debating certain areas can do that and help form a complete argument.

2. Free-for-all style
While you would have to have equal numbered teams, there is no order in who posts when. It works like the normal debate forums when people argue against what ever posts they want to. The only difference is that you can't have random people joining half way through the debate.

The good thing about this would be eventually you could have different groups (skeptics, LGBT, Christian's, Logic101 etc.) challenging another group and have a formate where people who are members of one of the two battling groups can join in, but no one else.

I personally prefer the first example more, what do you guys think?

Many thanks,

John
Excellent idea John, I think the first idea might be best out of the two.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #3

Thank you.

I agree that I think the first idea would be the best out of the two. That way you can get some epic and in-depth debates, with masters of their fields going head-to-head as part of a larger discussion.
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Sure, I'd be willing to set up a "Team Debate" subforum. Once there are two teams that have agreed to debate, I'll set it up.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #5

Ah brilliant. Many thanks otseng!
- G.K. Chesterton

- G.K. Chesterton

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #6

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

This is a great idea, but I'd take it a step further and ask for a sub forum that allows any amount vs any amount. Provided that all who are involved with the specific debate have agreed to the numbers.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

DiscipleOfTruth wrote:This is a great idea, but I'd take it a step further and ask for a sub forum that allows any amount vs any amount. Provided that all who are involved with the specific debate have agreed to the numbers.
Yes, team debates can include team sizes of any number, as long as the participants are all decided ahead of time and no additional people can join the debate.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #8

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

Maybe even allow additional people to be added to either side at any time so long as all who are actively involved agree to it? Yet, only way a person can be subtracted from the debate is if that individual wants to exclude themselves, or a moderator action is required to some type of rule violation(s).

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

DiscipleOfTruth wrote:Maybe even allow additional people to be added to either side at any time so long as all who are actively involved agree to it?
I'm not too keen on adding people after a debate has started. Each team should do their work up front to decide who can be on their team and not while the debate progresses.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

otseng wrote:
DiscipleOfTruth wrote:Maybe even allow additional people to be added to either side at any time so long as all who are actively involved agree to it?
I'm not too keen on adding people after a debate has started. Each team should do their work up front to decide who can be on their team and not while the debate progresses.
I agree with otseng. If it is going to be open ended like that, it is not much different from an ordinary thread. Also, the bigger the team, the more likely they will start to diverge from each other during the debate. (That should be fun to watch!)
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell