The ten commandments.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Baz
Site Supporter

The ten commandments.

Post #1

Post by Baz »

I have been talking to a friend about the often used definition of the bible as the word of god.
So far as I am lead to believe, the Christian bible is a compilation of articles (books) written about Christ by various scribes, documenting events or story’s told to them and then added to the old Jewish bible, written by early religious leaders.
What is and isn’t included has been decided by some sort of religious comity’s over the years and the wording is continually kept up to date as new versions are printed.

I am not disputing that the present christen bible is the Inspired word of god, but that if you take the authorship of items included in the bible literary;-
The only thing that the bible actually states was written by the hand of god was the ten commandments.
Can anybody confirm this or point out any error in this statement?
Last edited by Baz on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
\"Give me a good question over a good answer anyday.\"

Baz
Site Supporter

Re: The ten commandments.

Post #2

Post by Baz »

#-o
edit went wrong.

De Maria
Sage

Re: The ten commandments.

Post #3

Post by De Maria »

Baz wrote: I have been talking to a friend about the often used definition of the bible as the word of god.
So far as I am lead to believe, the Christian bible is a compilation of articles (books) written about Christ by various scribes, documenting events or story’s told to them and then added to the old Jewish bible, written by early religious leaders.
What is and isn’t included has been decided by some sort of religious comity’s over the years and the wording is continually kept up to date as new versions are printed.

I am not disputing that the present christen bible is the Inspired word of god, but that if you take the authorship of items included in the bible literary;-
The only thing that the bible actually states was written by the hand of god was the ten commandments.
Can anybody confirm this or point out any error in this statement?
That is accurate.

Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Ankhhape »

Not accurate, the Ten Commandments are simply a dumbed down version of The 42 Negative Confessions of Horus from the ancient Egyptian Papyrus of Ani (aka Book of the Dead) predating the Biblical Commandments by at least 2000 years.

Baz
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Baz »

Ankhhape wrote: Not accurate, the Ten Commandments are simply a dumbed down version of The 42 Negative Confessions of Horus from the ancient Egyptian Papyrus of Ani (aka Book of the Dead) predating the Biblical Commandments by at least 2000 years.

I understand what you are saying and no doubt there are numerous alternative origins for items in the bible, but my point is around "what is written by the hand of god" according to the bible itself.

Ankhhape
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Ankhhape »

Baz wrote:
Ankhhape wrote: Not accurate, the Ten Commandments are simply a dumbed down version of The 42 Negative Confessions of Horus from the ancient Egyptian Papyrus of Ani (aka Book of the Dead) predating the Biblical Commandments by at least 2000 years.

I understand what you are saying and no doubt there are numerous alternative origins for items in the bible, but my point is around "what is written by the hand of god" according to the bible itself.
If I recall, nothing was written by the hand of God nor by Jesus in the Bible, rather it is from the 'inspiration' of God & Jesus through the hand of a self-professed prophet.

greentwiga
Scholar

Post #7

Post by greentwiga »

Ankhhape wrote:
Baz wrote:

If I recall, nothing was written by the hand of God nor by Jesus in the Bible, rather it is from the 'inspiration' of God & Jesus through the hand of a self-professed prophet.
Another verse makes it plainer. Ex 32:15-16 "15 Moses turned and went down the mountain with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands. They were inscribed on both sides, front and back. 16 The tablets were the work of God; the writing was the writing of God, engraved on the tablets."

The tablets with the ten commandments were written by God. This is the only writing specifically written by God. Prophetic utterances were written by people, but they claimed that the words were dictated by God.

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #8

Post by Moses Yoder »

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
This passage says that scripture is inspired by God. Not written by God, but inspired by Him. The books currently in the King James version of the New Testament were considered to also be scripture and included with the Old Testament. In order to be considered scripture, they had to be considered inspired by God. I am working on designing a clock that is inspired by eastern architecture; when the design is complete, it will have very little of my own character and opinions in it, and will reflect the inspiration of eastern architecture to a very large degree.
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

Moses Yoder wrote:
15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
This passage says that scripture is inspired by God. Not written by God, but inspired by Him. The books currently in the King James version of the New Testament were considered to also be scripture and included with the Old Testament. In order to be considered scripture, they had to be considered inspired by God. I am working on designing a clock that is inspired by eastern architecture; when the design is complete, it will have very little of my own character and opinions in it, and will reflect the inspiration of eastern architecture to a very large degree.
Here is a list of lots of scriptures. Are they all inspired by God?

List of sacred texts of various religions
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Moses Yoder
Guru

Post #10

Post by Moses Yoder »

McCulloch wrote:
Moses Yoder wrote:

Here is a list of lots of scriptures. Are they all inspired by God?

List of sacred texts of various religions
They are either inspired by God or they are not scripture. According to the most common definition of "scripture" at dictionary.com, the Holy Bible is the only scripture. Sacred writings from other religions can also be called scripture, but if they are not inspired by God, why would they be sacred?
Matthew 16:26
New King James Version (NKJV)
26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?