Can't disable email notifications

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

FaerieStories
Student

Can't disable email notifications

Post #1

Post by FaerieStories »

My email is being spammed by notifications every time someone responds to a post of mine. I tried to disable this in the preferences by selecting 'no' to email notifications, but it doesn't seem to have worked as I am still getting them.

Any ideas? :-k
"If men were ever in a state in which they did not want to know or could not perceive truth (facts or evidence), then Fantasy would languish until they were cured." -J.R.R. Tolkien

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

When making a new post, you should see a box to notify you when a new reply is posted; any thread on which that box has been ticked, you are subscribed to regardless of global settings.

On the top of any page on the site, there should be a link to your profile. Going there will give you a list of topics to which you are subscribed, and you can easily unsubscribe to them from there.

FaerieStories
Student

Post #3

Post by FaerieStories »

But the thing is I still want to be 'subscribed' insofar as I can still access the 'watched topics' list at the top of my profile- because that's useful. I just don't want to be emailed about it each time.
"If men were ever in a state in which they did not want to know or could not perceive truth (facts or evidence), then Fantasy would languish until they were cured." -J.R.R. Tolkien

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Add the topic as a favorite. See the bottom left of the topic. You won't be notified of any posts, but you can access it from the Favorites link at the top.

FaerieStories
Student

Post #5

Post by FaerieStories »

Hm, that's one solution, but it isn't quite as handy as the 'watched topics' option as it doesn't tell you who the last poster was.

I think the best method is just to block the forum from my email.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by LiamOS »

Hmm... Then I'm also at a loss. :-k

Otseng might know, but you could probably just unsubscribe from everything and check the recent topics/your posts until then. I used to like the emails until I started waking up to 10+.

Edit: Out of date by ten minutes... Irish internet. :roll:

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

FaerieStories wrote: Hm, that's one solution, but it isn't quite as handy as the 'watched topics' option as it doesn't tell you who the last poster was.
If I add the last poster and time to that page, would that work for you?

FaerieStories
Student

Post #8

Post by FaerieStories »

otseng wrote:
FaerieStories wrote: Hm, that's one solution, but it isn't quite as handy as the 'watched topics' option as it doesn't tell you who the last poster was.
That's very kind of you to offer- thanks- but I think I've pretty much solved the problem now simply by filtering my email to remove the emails sent to my inbox.

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Re: Can't disable email notifications

Post #9

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

FaerieStories wrote: My email is being spammed by notifications every time someone responds to a post of mine. I tried to disable this in the preferences by selecting 'no' to email notifications, but it doesn't seem to have worked as I am still getting them.

Any ideas? :-k
If you never want to get email notifications, invent a new email account and change your Profile to reflect that. Your regular email account will be 'spam' free. But if you ever forget your password you can still get it changed using the 'spammed' email account. Just don't forget that password.

But before you do that...anyone have an opinion why this is not a good idea?
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

otseng
Savant

Post #10

Post by otseng »

otseng wrote:
Thought it'd be nice to have this anyways. So, now the favorites has the last poster and time.