Question about the Ignore Feature

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Divine Insight
Savant

Question about the Ignore Feature

Post #1

Post by Divine Insight »

When you place someone on ignore, you can no longer see their posts.

But can they still see your posts?

otseng
Savant

Re: Question about the Ignore Feature

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Divine Insight wrote: But can they still see your posts?
Yes, I believe they can.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Lux »

Yes, they can, unless they ignore you back.

Additionally, most of the subforums are public so even if for some reason someone can't see your posts, all they would have to do in order to see them would be browsing the forum without logging in.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

Lux wrote: Yes, they can, unless they ignore you back.

Additionally, most of the subforums are public so even if for some reason someone can't see your posts, all they would have to do in order to see them would be browsing the forum without logging in.

Yes, I understand that. But at least they wouldn't be able to actively quote my posts and attempt to twist my words after I had put them on ignore.

They'd have to log off to read what I write, and if they wanted to quote me they'd have to copy my post, log back on, and paste my quote into a reply.

If they want to go through all that fine.

But as it is now, if I ignore this person they can still just easily quote my posts, misrepresent what I'm saying, and I'll even get an email saying that this was done (assuming I'm still watching that thread) for other posts.

So all the ignore feature does is blind me to the continued quoting and misrepresentations of my posts. That doesn't seem to be very useful.

It does clean up the thread visually though, but that's about all it does.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Lux »

Divine Insight wrote:Yes, I understand that. But at least they wouldn't be able to actively quote my posts and attempt to twist my words after I had put them on ignore.

They'd have to log off to read what I write, and if they wanted to quote me they'd have to copy my post, log back on, and paste my quote into a reply.

If they want to go through all that fine.

But as it is now, if I ignore this person they can still just easily quote my posts, misrepresent what I'm saying, and I'll even get an email saying that this was done (assuming I'm still watching that thread) for other posts.

So all the ignore feature does is blind me to the continued quoting and misrepresentations of my posts. That doesn't seem to be very useful.

It does clean up the thread visually though, but that's about all it does.
The idea behind the ignore button is just that you don't need to see a person's posts if you don't want to. However, it's true that they are free to see and respond to whatever they want, unless they're banned.

I don't know who you're talking about (and I don't think I need to know) but when posting in a forum, a side effect is that we open ourselves up to comments by people we wish to avoid. In my experience, ignoring them is a good way to make them go away.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #6

Post by Divine Insight »

Lux wrote: In my experience, ignoring them is a good way to make them go away.
I'm working toward that goal. The poster I'm referring to is a highly active poster though who has totally swamped the forums recently with new threads and posts. Statistics show that he has out posted everyone this month by almost twice the activity level of most other users.

I was shocked when I viewed those stats and discovered that I'm the second most active poster this month. But I think that was partly due to extended exchanges I've had with this poster that I've recently put on ignore.

I'll try the one-sided ignore and see how well this works. 8-)

AdHoc
Guru

Post #7

Post by AdHoc »

Divine Insight wrote:
I'm working toward that goal. The poster I'm referring to is a highly active poster though who has totally swamped the forums recently with new threads and posts. Statistics show that he has out posted everyone this month by almost twice the activity level of most other users.

I was shocked when I viewed those stats and discovered that I'm the second most active poster this month. But I think that was partly due to extended exchanges I've had with this poster that I've recently put on ignore.

Maybe what we need is an invisibility button as well... Then you could click ignore and "make myself invisible to such and such person". Then you wouldn't see their posts and you would virtually disappear from their view.

If the person annoyed enough people soon every thread and forum would be blank to them.

What do you think?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #8

Post by Divine Insight »

AdHoc wrote:
Divine Insight wrote:

Maybe what we need is an invisibility button as well... Then you could click ignore and "make myself invisible to such and such person". Then you wouldn't see their posts and you would virtually disappear from their view.

If the person annoyed enough people soon every thread and forum would be blank to them.

What do you think?

I think that would be great.

I don't typically ignore people, nor do I particularly like reporting people. But every once in a while it becomes necessary. As well as being the wisest thing to do. Even moderators and administrators suggest to report people when they are being problematic or uncivil, etc. That's better than confronting them on their own terms which can only lead to lengthy arguments with them that will continue to go down hill even further and potentially result in the original offender actually reporting you for your retaliation.

And then you end up with the bad citation.

So ignoring them can be a reasonable solution I suppose.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Divine Insight wrote: Even moderators and administrators suggest to report people when they are being problematic or uncivil, etc. That's better than confronting them on their own terms which can only lead to lengthy arguments with them that will continue to go down hill even further and potentially result in the original offender actually reporting you for your retaliation.

Yes, this is correct. It is recommended to simply report and ignore rule infractions. Do not attempt to confront them.

AdHoc
Guru

Post #10

Post by AdHoc »

otseng wrote:
Divine Insight wrote: Even moderators and administrators suggest to report people when they are being problematic or uncivil, etc. That's better than confronting them on their own terms which can only lead to lengthy arguments with them that will continue to go down hill even further and potentially result in the original offender actually reporting you for your retaliation.

Yes, this is correct. It is recommended to simply report and ignore rule infractions. Do not attempt to confront them.
What do you think about the disappear button? I think it would be handy for those very rare occasions.