Random Ramblings

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

assisigirl
Guru

Random Ramblings

Post #1

Post by assisigirl »

: Random Ramblings: I have been sent to this place on two occassions. I make every attempt to avoid rambling and I am rarely random. I find this description of my work here derogatrory, and it is starting to make me consider pastures new, I'm miffed!. I now start threads in this section amongst the great unseen and despite this manage to find interest of a kind.

Why not call this section something less insulting ie Miscellaneous or whatever?
An even better idea might be to promote decent threads from this section upwards towards a more prominent and appropriate section. If I wanted to chat I would go to chat. You can start by finding new homes for my threads out of the Random Ramblings section. Sounds like an old peoples home with poor security!

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

Do this. Post your OP here for review. I'll then suggest what needs to be done to avoid it winding up in RR.

assisigirl
Guru

Post #3

Post by assisigirl »

If ONE Life Can Be Saved, We MUST Try�.

This was the sound-bite, headline. This was the deal clincher, forged in the gloomy alcoves of the presidential scriptwriter's lair and vetted by a myriad of attentive eyes before being unleashed to the world's media for disscetion. I have nothing against Obama, in democracy you get what you vote for which is usually not as bad as the fellow who finished second.

My contention is that the concept of a 'lie' has been completely eroded in the modern world. What is a lie? Is anything not a lie.
Obama is a 'christian' we think, more power to him. He was full of funerial solace for all and sundry last week. This is part of his political remit.

Lets cut to the chase here.
“If ONE Life Can Be Saved, We MUST Try�.

This sentence is a 'lie' of the worst kind in my opinion. What do you think.

The commandments mention slander as a sin but that is much more specific than to lie. Is a lie a sin if you can even agree what a lie is. A lie before God is generally regarded as not good in religious circles (ie perjury), but given their concept of omnipotence does this not include all 'lies' in all circumstances.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

First off, please read through this:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=3335

The main problem with your post is that I have no idea what is up for debate. It seems more like you believe that "If ONE Life Can Be Saved, We MUST Try� is a "lie." And then you want others to input what you think about this.

A debate has an issue that has at least two sides debating each other. And the issue must be a clearly defined issue. Also, it should have some relevance to religion to be debated on this forum.

assisigirl
Guru

Post #5

Post by assisigirl »

con·ten·tion (kn-tnshn)
n.
1. The act or an instance of striving in controversy or debate. See Synonyms at discord.
2. A striving to win in competition; rivalry: The teams met in fierce contention for first place.
3. An assertion put forward in argument

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Lux »

The main standard we use here to determine if a topic is a "debate" is whether it has at least one debate question. A debate question should be one with at least two arguable positions, not a rhetorical question. "Aren't these Catholics silly?" for example, is not a debate question. "Do you believe the Vatican's position on this issue is stalling scientific advancements? Why/Why not?" is a debate question.

Typically your thread would also have an introduction to the subject to debate, and oftentimes people offer their own point of view in their OP (Original Post) as well.

Hope this helps.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

assisigirl
Guru

Post #7

Post by assisigirl »

Hi Lux, we have a soap brand named after you over here, google it if you like.

My contention is that the concept of a 'lie' has been completely eroded in the modern world.

Lux:Typically your thread would also have an introduction to the subject to debate, and oftentimes people offer their own point of view in their OP (Original Post) as well

assisigirl: Yes, and Yes.

Obama is allegedly , a christian. I referred to the commandments and discussed the concept of a lie in a very obligue way ie the scriptwriter's speel.. It was topical and interesting and now it is in that Gulag of a place called RR and I ride around with a clowns mask on my head. Nice one,
Referees make bad penalty calls all the time for the best of reasons. Not religious,indeed,it was very very christian.

AdHoc
Guru

Re: Random Ramblings

Post #8

Post by AdHoc »

assisigirl wrote: : Random Ramblings: I have been sent to this place on two occassions. I make every attempt to avoid rambling and I am rarely random. I find this description of my work here derogatrory, and it is starting to make me consider pastures new, I'm miffed!. I now start threads in this section amongst the great unseen and despite this manage to find interest of a kind.

Why not call this section something less insulting ie Miscellaneous or whatever?
An even better idea might be to promote decent threads from this section upwards towards a more prominent and appropriate section. If I wanted to chat I would go to chat. You can start by finding new homes for my threads out of the Random Ramblings section. Sounds like an old peoples home with poor security!
First of all Random Ramblings is an AWESOME forum... On so many levels. For one it is open and free and unfettered with convention, it is not as crowded and the posts posted there are pure and unsullied by the token prize received when posting in other forums. (some of the posts are not worth the 3.67 tokens received for posting them... Unless we're handing out tokens for...for... well writing stuff thats D.U.M. Dumb)

Miscellaneous? NOOOOOO that is such a blah description...

But I do like your idea of moving some threads from Ran/Ram to other forums... I bet if you reported a thread for being too logical and well composed you might be able to get a Mod to boot it up to a more deterministic forum... I wonder if that has ever happened in the history of DC&R?

assisigirl
Guru

Post #9

Post by assisigirl »

Hi Ad Hoc, I always respect your measured opinion and I thank you for your time here. When I first came to this excellent forum it was obvious that the Christianity Forum was the place to be, top of the page and average response to a thread of 40+, RR average <10 and down the page.
A person cannot demand an audience but you can only run uphill for so long.
Thank You.

Moderation is an onerous, time-consuming task. Look at the power bestowed upon the moderators here, they can categorize the above examination of a 'christian' icon as a 'pointless post, a rant and rave, or an obscure opinion(your words,not mine)' It bears no resemblance to any of these which are all derogatory in nature.
This is the rubbish tip of posts and your efforts to dress it up in my eyes Ad Hoc are falling on desert ground.

I am just challenging the call here and voicing my opinion, God forbid. Bye!

AdHoc
Guru

Post #10

Post by AdHoc »

assisigirl wrote: Hi Ad Hoc, I always respect your measured opinion and I thank you for your time here. When I first came to this excellent forum it was obvious that the Christianity Forum was the place to be, top of the page and average response to a thread of 40+, RR average <10 and down the page.
A person cannot demand an audience but you can only run uphill for so long.
Thank You.

Moderation is an onerous, time-consuming task. Look at the power bestowed upon the moderators here, they can categorize the above examination of a 'christian' icon as a 'pointless post, a rant and rave, or an obscure opinion(your words,not mine)' It bears no resemblance to any of these which are all derogatory in nature.
This is the rubbish tip of posts and your efforts to dress it up in my eyes Ad Hoc are falling on desert ground.

I am just challenging the call here and voicing my opinion, God forbid. Bye!
Fair enough, you've won me over