Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Respecting Jesus

Post #1

Post by GADARENE »

"So if you think that I'm in any way "Putting Jesus Down" you are mistaken." myth believer

"I don't condemn Jesus at all" mb

"On the contrary, my view of Jesus is a highly respectable view." mb

What is it about Jesus that these myth believers respect?

christians, you may not have known this. myth believers don't put him (jesus) down or condemn him, either. as a matter of fact, they highly respect him and compare his teachings favorably with (perhaps even influenced by) Buddha

why? why do you think myth believers highly respect him, don't put him down or condemn him?

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by GADARENE »

great. thanks for explaining your positions.

what do you believe?

are these statements true? rumor? which jesus made them, rumor Christ or Christ?

Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven?

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by GADARENE »

"The man had to have been a Jew." why? what man? could have been a woman? a Buddhist? a levite?

"Jesus and Buddha are both said to have been born of a pure virgin" who said? what scientific proof substantiates these claims?

"It is written also in the Lalita Vistara" what makes the lalita vistara reliable? who wrote it? why? When?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: Respecting Jesus

Post #13

Post by bernee51 »

GADARENE wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
GADARENE wrote: "So if you think that I'm in any way "Putting Jesus Down" you are mistaken." myth believer

christians, you may not have known this. myth believers don't put him (jesus) down or condemn him, either. as a matter of fact, they highly respect him and compare his teachings favorably with (perhaps even influenced by) Buddha

why? why do you think myth believers highly respect him, don't put him down or condemn him?
Hi there Mr T¥€£L

Because some of the things that have been attributed to him as his worldview are worthy of respect. His alleged words are true but partial.

"Because some of the things that have been attributed to him..." what things? by whom? can you be more specific?

thank you
Like "I and the Father are One", as quoted by whoever wrote John and attributed the words to Jesus.

GADARENE wrote:
maybe you could help me? "His alleged words are true but partial." which of his words are true? how can you tell? where did those words appear? iow, he lived and things he said were passed down to us.
Partial because words such as those quoted above are true but misinterpreted. He may have lived, and words attributed to him have been passed down
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by bernee51 »

GADARENE wrote: great. thanks for explaining your positions.

what do you believe?

are these statements true? rumor? which jesus made them, rumor Christ or Christ?

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

The one who has become known as Christ may have spoken but from whence they came is a more interesting story. They are Essenic in their origin which is where Christ first came across them. And where did the Essenes get hem. It would seem their origin is with our old friend the Buddha.

More details can be easily found if one looks. Here is a good place to start
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Rkrause
Guru

Post #15

Post by Rkrause »

GADARENE wrote: "So if you think that I'm in any way "Putting Jesus Down" you are mistaken." myth believer

The fact that Jesus is God and he was and is real has my respect.

You have to prove he's a myth first....

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by bernee51 »

Rkrause wrote:

What brings or is deserving of respect? The primary values held and taught, the compassion embodied. Whether myth or not Jesus would be deserving of respect for those aspects of his being.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by GADARENE »

GADARENE wrote: great. thanks for explaining your positions.

what do you believe?

"The one who has become known as Christ may have spoken but from whence they came is a more interesting story."

Is this the Christ you highly respect or the rumored Christ? "may have spoken?" how do you figure out which jesus said these things?

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by GADARENE »

"What brings or is deserving of respect? The primary values held and taught, the compassion embodied. Whether myth or not Jesus would be deserving of respect for those aspects of his being."

whose primary values? the forgers/myth-makers or jesus?

if myth, why credit real jesus? who taught them? if myth jesus he didn't exist

Rkrause
Guru

Post #19

Post by Rkrause »

bernee51 wrote:
Rkrause wrote:

What brings or is deserving of respect? The primary values held and taught, the compassion embodied. Whether myth or not Jesus would be deserving of respect for those aspects of his being.
The values, compassion and teachings of Jesus should be respected. Also the movement that occured after Jesus is fairly impressive as well (all the good things done). Of course people don't focus on the good things but rather the bad.

GADARENE
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by GADARENE »

Rkrause wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
Rkrause wrote:

The values, compassion and teachings of Jesus should be respected. Also the movement that occured after Jesus is fairly impressive as well (all the good things done). Of course people don't focus on the good things but rather the bad.

bro, start at the beginning of this thread. old gaddy is reporting that the myth-believers don't detest jesus like one might suspect. in fact, they respect him. they don't put him down. the real jesus was cool. okay?

the purpose of this thread is to acknowledge their appreciation for him and to try to understand what it is specifically they like about him. so far, they indicate they like the real jesus, just not the jesus rumored about.

how they decide who is who is the part that is confusing. with me?