Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

assisigirl
Guru

Length of Posts

Post #1

Post by assisigirl »

What do you think of this post:Not mine, this one

ref:What are your beliefs about where the first ppl came from?

I think it is a bit of a beaver's dam of a thing and a nuisance if you are trying to get upriver. What do the forum think. A limit to the length of post that focuses the writer on content might lead to an improvement in standard. There is a valid case for a minimal limit as well although this could be easily circumvented. Is the technology in house to do this . Do we want it.

I would suggest that you find an average length for my posts and then add 10 lines. That should do it for me. Perhaps I'm just a red herring swimming in the wrong direction???

assisigirl
Guru

Post #2

Post by assisigirl »

The Silence speaks here and I concede my point as irrelevant.
Do not come whinging about this later when we are all out buying 'Thread Wellies'.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

I think that it is a matter of personal style, that cannot be controlled through moderation or programatically. Two things that irk me with regard to length:
  1. The Wall Of Text.
    This is the internet. People will not read an unbroken wall of text like they often do with printed material. Use lists, quotes, paragraphs and headings to break it up and make it readable.
  2. Scrolling through more than one screen of quoted material to read a single line or two of response.
    Please, don't be lazy and quote the entirety of the passage you are responding to. Edit it a bit and only quote the relevant points that you are addressing. Your quote can be linked to the original.
[/rant]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Length of Posts

Post #4

Post by olavisjo »

I apologize for the long post; I did not have enough time to write a shorter one.
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis