Leaving the Site

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Jester
Prodigy

Leaving the Site

Post #1

Post by Jester »

For those that are concerned, I've unofficially left the site.

This, I hasten to add is not because I don't see the value of debatingchristianity.com, or am otherwise negative on it. I greatly appreciate the vast number of things I've learned from my debates here.

But, I've decided that, other than the occasional pop-in, I'll be keeping my thoughts on this issue relegated to my blog (which, if you are curious, can be found here).

As to reasons for my near-total absence, I did seem to find myself unable to learn anything new, and felt as if I was increasingly interacting with people who could not or would not take a position on what I saw as the relevant issues. As such, I began to feel like my discussions were aimless.

I make no claims about how much of that was my own fault. Rather, I simply came to see that I needed to take a break from debating and spend some time reading philosophy.

Having done some of that (and still continuing), I've realized that my goal in debating (comparing the relative veracity of two opposed views) is not in line with the majority of atheists on this site (who seem to be more interested in discussing theism apart from an alternative view). That being the case, I thought it would be best if I'd create a blog where I feel free to take an approach which doesn't seem to be the right fit for this group.

That said, I greatly appreciate many people on this site, most especially the moderating team (who is doing a wonderful job, in my view), and would be pleased with anyone who decided to pop by the blog (where I use the handle "Debilis"; my real name, David, is just too common to be distinctive).

More than anything else, I definitely appreciate those I had the fortune to debate repeatedly here.

Best to you all.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

AdHoc
Guru

Re: Leaving the Site

Post #2

Post by AdHoc »

[Replying to post 1 by Jester]

Godspeed Jester, while we have never interacted. I always paid attention to your posts because I respect your approach and what you have to say.

Thanks for sending a link to your blog I'll definitely check that out.
AdHoc

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by olavisjo »

It has been almost five years since I was ready to give up this site (Zzyzx and his company really had me down) but your encouraging words kept me going.
I don't spend that much time here as I used to but this place helps me to keep up with the zeitgeist of the debate.
I like your blog and will keep reading it; and hope to share new ideas with you in the future.
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

Jester
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Jester »

Thank you both! That is very encouraging, and I'll be pleased if/when I encounter you in the future.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Wish you well in your new endeavors. Appreciate all the contributions you've had on this forum. God bless!

marketandchurch
Scholar

Post #6

Post by marketandchurch »

take care Jester. I've seen a few groups founded by you, and I wish I was on here a few years ago to have known you. Will you shut down and retire your name? If not, I'd love to go back and re-read some of your posts. All the best to whatever you choose to pursuit in life, and God Bless.

-M&C.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Godspeed, friend. You've taught me more'n you'll ever know.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

playhavock
Guru

Post #8

Post by playhavock »

Best to you and yours. Before you jet off can I get a grade on my logic test? :D

Jester
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Jester »

Thanks to each of you! I'll definitely let everyone know if the time comes for me to return.

And, Playhavoc, I'll get on that at the end of the week (my computer is in repairs just now).

dusk
Sage

The most valued theist I debated on this forum

Post #10

Post by dusk »

You are a great loss. Out of all the debates with theists on this forum, you are the one I remember as the most interesting. I only pop in occasionally but haven't really found too many challenging debates lately either.
Most of my posts lately are superficial about the ever same topic.
I will check out that blog of yours.

Godspeed from an Atheist who thinks every intellectually challenging theist is a great loss for this forum, as people like you is why I came here in the first place and without people like you too many posts will be wasted on creationism vs evolution or gay marriage threads.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?
How is it? Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

- Friedrich Nietzsche