If God is infinite, then he is everything.... right?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

If God is infinite, then he is everything.... right?

Post #1

Post by Ooberman »

If he is infinite, then no theistic opinion about God is wrong, even this statement.

It is likely that this deity doesn't exist, and since an infinite God is contradictory, it is probably less likely to be true. (Assuming basic laws of logic, our common presupposition).

Since, according to these laws of logic to be "True",the statement "God obtains" cannot be true, is true, and is also, possibly a quantum state (some "other").

Therefore, God does not exist.

The point of this line of inquiry, I suppose a purpose of this idea is to mull over the technicalities of how we arrive at basic assumptions about the world.

After all, we can't FIRST assume a God in order to prove a God exists. If we are trying to prove a God exists, we have to tip the balance in minds when they hear the actual logical argument.

The logical leap, to me, begins with both the Materialist and Supernaturalist. We don't REALLY know what things are made of, but if we go from what has been shown to be effective according to a large consensus of people that gravity works, and the natural laws appear to be consistent. The drama of nature, or the narrative of our lives appears to be a fact of our nature, and that's about all we know.

1. We are physical beings in this universe.
2. We can imagine real and unreal things.
3. We create narrative to ourselves and others to explain natural events, yet, the laws of nature cannot be translated accurately in the language of Man, but in the language of basic math.

We don't need to presume a God for any of them, and the Theist has to answer the question: "why is god a better answer for each of them, without presuming naturalism?"

Meanwhile, I don't think anything in the data shows any problem with the laws of nature being inviolable, and the dramas of our lives are the unique state of our Nature: we produce thoughts, narratives, and believe many things in metaphor, colloquialisms, and other tropes.

Tropes, and other games of words, twists of logic and other quirks as Man attempts to reflect Nature. We have at our disposal all the arts, and another quirk to our nature, the ability to imagine supernatural beings as if they are real.

Religion is a "greatest hits from mythology" in that religion (the process of creating a religion - a process unique to man, and neanderthals, apparently, and a few other Great Apes... And a few birds... And maybe elephants...) tries to capture a link to the conscience and codify it.

There are good reasons to do this, if you have some idea of your subjective position on "The Good" and how that fits into the larger scope of society's idea of "The Good". If you want to do Good, you find a reason to do it if it's not considered "Good" by society, increasingly to a point to being a psychopath. (There are ranges of experience that make morality, ultimately, an impossible task to normalize.)

Morality, like sight, is valuable to you, because it's valuable to you. We argue for that value by making our argument appear to have more weight than the converse.

The Theist comes up woefully short when they explain the basis of their provenance of their ideas: tradition.

In other words, the theist must presuppose the very characteristics of their God, in order to prove their God. Whereas, the naturalist only starts with the things we have a pretty good idea is true, through verification.

That cellphones work proves what Aristotle couldn't. Likewise, I doubt many people are going to challenge our model of the Solar System. And, genetics will never be overturned. These are really true things, it appears.

We are the awesomest of Apes, but Apes nonetheless. And that's OK.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

YahDough
Under Probation

Re: If God is infinite, then he is everything.... right?

Post #21

Post by YahDough »

Jacob Simonsky wrote:
Ooberman wrote: If he is infinite, then no theistic opinion about God is wrong, even this statement.

Yup! The big mistake that we humans can make is to consider God as though "he" were a personality something like us only bigger and better. God is in no way even remotely like a human being. It is more correct to consider God as a source. But God does have a body and that body is comprised of everything in existence. A single person on earth is less than an atom in the body of the creator. Re-read scripture with this in mind and see a big difference in understanding.
That's not exactly true, and opinions can be wrong.

God has established a "personality" in Christ Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Ooberman »

YahDough wrote:
Jacob Simonsky wrote:
Ooberman wrote: If he is infinite, then no theistic opinion about God is wrong, even this statement.

Yup! The big mistake that we humans can make is to consider God as though "he" were a personality something like us only bigger and better. God is in no way even remotely like a human being. It is more correct to consider God as a source. But God does have a body and that body is comprised of everything in existence. A single person on earth is less than an atom in the body of the creator. Re-read scripture with this in mind and see a big difference in understanding.

That limits God. Isn't God more than that?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #23

Post by YahDough »

Ooberman wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Jacob Simonsky wrote:

At this point I dont think man can fully understand the "Source", as you put it, that created time and manifested the LORD from It's/His bosom. It's like the unapproachable oblivion: The Dark Side. :) But Jesus did say "the Father and I are one".

The light of Life is in the LORD.

Jn:8:12: Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

bluethread
Savant

Post #24

Post by bluethread »

Jacob Simonsky wrote:

Please provide the Scriptures that support this view.

Re: OP

Using the concept of the infinite is overbroad. It seems to refer to physical omnipresence in one post and ideological omnipresence in another. Of course, omnipresence is just one facet of the infinite.
Ooberman:
YahDough: God has established a "personality" in Christ Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth.
Of course, it does. "(W)e do see Yeshua - who indeed was made for a little while lower than the angels . . ." This practice of requiring that every description of Adonai have only and absolutist definition is nothing more than an attempt to put He who is beyond understanding into a box.

Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice

Post #25

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

God has established a "personality" in Christ Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth.[/quote]

It is Christian belief, and not universal among Christians, that Jesus is God. It is my belief that He is not and that He is thus not infinite.
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

Jew, Christian and Muslim... all equal in G-d's eye.

Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice

Post #26

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

God has established a "personality" in Christ Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth.[/quote]
That limits God. Isn't God more than that?[/quote]

In the physical universe God has limits even as His creation does but in other, higher, universes, God does not. The difficulty in perception is ours. A finite mind cannot comprehend infinity. Yes, Jesus has a personality which is the product of His physical brain, just as all men do. Witness His final struggle in the garden before His arrest. That episode was His small human mind expressing fear and contending with His higher soul mind. As we all know the higher won out and His mission was completed. Jesus also was possessed of the human genetic code. He was a man whose soul was much more advanced than any other man at that time. Jesus was sent by an even greater spirit to teach, to establish a new teaching on earth. The metaphor for His mission was contained in the word "redemption". Please remember that I am not a Christian, am not obliged to believe what Christians believe nor is it my wish to convert any Christians away from their faith. To each His own.
Please do not ask me to provide evidence of what I claim. I have no interest in persuading anyone to believe as I do.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #27

Post by YahDough »

Jacob Simonsky wrote:
It is Christian belief, and not universal among Christians, that Jesus is God. It is my belief that He is not and that He is thus not infinite.
That seems to be the mystery of the Godhead. Somewhere between an eternal, timeless, invisible "Source" and the beginning of observable time, there is a Creator with a "Personality" to be reckoned with. :) That is Christ Jesus.
Col:2:9: For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Jn:20:28: And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Jacob Simonsky
Apprentice

Post #28

Post by Jacob Simonsky »

YahDough wrote: Jacob Simonsky wrote:
That seems to be the mystery of the Godhead. Somewhere between an eternal, timeless, invisible "Source" and the beginning of observable time, there is a Creator with a "Personality" to be reckoned with. :) That is Christ Jesus.
Col:2:9: For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
Jn:20:28: And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

It is true that these kinds of questions are too often foiled by those who do the asking. My explanation is simply that since our minds are finite how may we expect to ever have a full understanding of the infinite? We do the best we can. There is always a point beyond which something has to be accepted on the "credit" of faith. We can rightfully hope that someday our abilities to understand will be enhanced. Jesus is such a man. He is far more evolved spiritually than any of us. Shall we remember what He once said? It was something like: "ye shall do greater things than I". I can't remember the exact quote but it reveals that humans evolve spiritually. That much is certain.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by Ooberman »

YahDough wrote:
Ooberman wrote:
YahDough wrote:
Jacob Simonsky wrote:

At this point I dont think man can fully understand the "Source", as you put it, that created time...[/b]
Then how can you make proclamations about it and form fixed beleifs about it, especially based on people who knew pitifully little about our world?

It seems if you don't know, the proper thing to do is say "I don't know."
Not, "we don't know, therefore my religious beleif is true."

mgb
Guru

Post #30

Post by mgb »

Ooberman wrote:If he is infinite, then no theistic opinion about God is wrong, even this statement.
Infinity does not necessarily contain every possible reality. The set of even numbers is infinite 2, 4, 6, 8,... but it does not contain any odd numbers.

Also, you cannot say a thing is true and false at the same time.