Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Iam
Banned
Banned

Disputes sub forum

Post #1

Post by Iam »

Mods are allowed to publicly besmirch any poster, whether such is valid or not. No-one is allowed to challenge these decisions PUBLICLY, it must be behind closed doors where I assume the response is...."I'm right, just suck it up".
Why don't the mods have the courage to defend their PUBLICLY declared decisions, PUBLICLY?
They have a lovely little "Probation" subforum, but there is no capacity for the accused to defend himself.
How about if the mods create a disputes subforum where their PUBLICLY accusations can be challenged by the accused and they can then justify their accusations?
Too hard?

Peter
Guru

Post #2

Post by Peter »

The moderating on this forum seems pretty even handed to me.
I don't find it difficult to play according to the rules here. O:)
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

I suggest you start your own website. If your approach is so much better, I and others will move to that website, and this one will go out of business. See, how that works?

Iam
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Iam »

They find it impossible to defend their PUBLICLY declared decisions, PUBLICLY. They can throw the stones but no-one is allowed to pick them up and throw them back. A mod is incapable of distinguishing between a personal attack and a general comment, well bad luck you cop it in the ear. No discussion, no defense. God, judge, juror, prosecutor and executioner all rolled into one. If they are convinced of the rightness of their decisions why are they so AFRAID to defend them in public. Which is where they declare them.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by dianaiad »

Iam wrote: They find it impossible to defend their PUBLICLY declared decisions, PUBLICLY. They can throw the stones but no-one is allowed to pick them up and throw them back. A mod is incapable of distinguishing between a personal attack and a general comment, well bad luck you cop it in the ear. No discussion, no defense. God, judge, juror, prosecutor and executioner all rolled into one. If they are convinced of the rightness of their decisions why are they so AFRAID to defend them in public. Which is where they declare them.
There is a process by which you can save up tokens and start a subforum, if you want to go that route. However, the subforum you suggest would be, I believe, a waste of tokens and time. I have found the moderation here to be even handed and fair...and given the other forums out there (cough...CARM...cough) which are so obviously biased in both subject and moderation, I find THIS forum a haven of civility and calm.

And yes, I've been slapped down a time or two in here, and I deserved it every time.

............and bud?

So did you. Read the rules.
Obey 'em.

I know, it can be a challenge (boy, do I know that!) But give it a try.

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Disputes sub forum

Post #6

Post by Goat »

Iam wrote: Mods are allowed to publicly besmirch any poster, whether such is valid or not. No-one is allowed to challenge these decisions PUBLICLY, it must be behind closed doors where I assume the response is...."I'm right, just suck it up".
Why don't the mods have the courage to defend their PUBLICLY declared decisions, PUBLICLY?
They have a lovely little "Probation" subforum, but there is no capacity for the accused to defend himself.
How about if the mods create a disputes subforum where their PUBLICLY accusations can be challenged by the accused and they can then justify their accusations?
Too hard?
And, what religious topic is there here to debate?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by micatala »

Moderator Comment

I am moving this to Comments, Suggestions, and Questions, and will consult with the other moderators on whether the thread will continue.

I will point out that those who object to moderator actions can "throw stones" if they wish via PM, although really, I don't look at moderation or civil challenges to the moderation as throwing stones.

I do understand PM challenges are not made publically. One reason for this is to avoid derailing threads from the given topic onto the rules. In fact, that is one reason why we have this subforum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

I post the violations why someone is placed on probation. There is no secret decision made where the rationale is not made public. If you really wish for me to go through your offending posts and point out exactly how you violated the rules, I can do so.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #9

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

Moderator actions can be challenged publicly by making a new thread in the Comments, Suggestions, and Questions subforum.

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... hp?t=21743

bluethread
Savant

Post #10

Post by bluethread »

This is great. Maybe the mods could IM Eric Holder on how to handle one's critics.