PRAYER - Your definition

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

PRAYER - Your definition

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

I want to do this type of as a game but also have it as an opportunity to discuss what prayer is. What I want you to do is take each letter of the word prayer and put beside it a word or phrase starting with that letter which says something about what prayer is.

We can then discuss those definitions, ie whether they are relevent.

I will start this off with one of my own:

P = Passing the buck
R = Religious Ritual
A = Asking for advantages over fellow human beings
Y = Yearning for fantasies to be fulfilled
E = Expecting God to violate the freewill of others
R = Remaining inactive while believing you're actually doing something positive

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: PRAYER - Your definition

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

P = Psychological crutch
R = Requires much faith
A = Answers are rare
Y = Yawning is just as productive
E = Exercise is a better activity
R = Reindeer are more likely to fly
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to General Chat.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

Y
Student

Post #4

Post by Y »

[Replying to post 1 by OnceConvinced]

P = positive attitude
R = radical
A = absence of ups and downs
Y = yielding others
E = exercising constructive hopes
R = reality ownership (Reality ownership in Reverse bring despair and hopelessness)

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

Y wrote: P = positive attitude
I agree about the positive thinking side. If you truly believe you have a supernatural power behind you, you are more likely to succeed in what you are setting out to do, whether it be breaking an addiction or bad habit or achieving some kind of success.
Y wrote: R = radical
Having been in churches for many many years I'm not seeing what is so radical about prayer. It's seems like a religious ritual to me. A standard thing that all Christians do.
Y wrote: A = absence of ups and downs
Not sure what you mean by this. I lot of prayers Christians make are as a result of ups and downs in their lives. If you are talking about "casting all your cares upon the lord" then I will agree it is a calming thing. Psychologically it's good because it makes you feel better. It makes you feel as though you are taking some kind of action to resolving your problems. However it acts more as a placebo effect and even then it's often only temporary. The thing I have noticed about prayer is how people continue to pray the same things over and over and over because nothing is ever getting resolved.
Y wrote: Y = yielding others
You mean lifting up others in prayer? Definitely a more positive thing about prayer, although I can't help but think that more would be achieved by actually doing something rather than just praying. :)

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Y
Student

Post #6

Post by Y »

[Replying to OnceConvinced]

Direct help to the others is definitely more mature approach compare with just wishful thinking. No matter how many people surround us, private considerations are always step ahead of actual actions. And actions keep on following good or bad habits.
If I would do lot of physical helping to the people, and not pay attention, I would quickly become puffed hero to myself. To keep ground under feet it takes radical to cut out self adoration completely.
As my visible actions don’t manipulate my thoughts at all, prayer become solo source of the positive steps.
Spiritual babies do lot of wishful thinking, and even placebo effect is soothing. Reason beginners don’t resolve much is they don’t know what to pray for. But once you cross over when positivism literally swallow person, such one don’t experience downs. While I am intentionally avoiding bible language, here I have to say God is backing His own with joy only.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

PRAYER - Your definition - The sensible, by Holy Ghost, not

Post #7

Post by Aetixintro »

The prayer may be a private moment, not the pathetic as one may think.

The sensible interpretation, by Holy Ghost, can be prayer as thoughts, not only on Sundays, but any time, not only in being silent, by oneself or other, but also in doing work, "a prayer by action".

Good? :)

PS: Not much definite demand for reciting the official prayers other than the analogy to singing the psalms. The words do not need to be there for others to hear. It's a question of the praying person and God, them relating...
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Y
Student

Re: PRAYER - Your definition - The sensible, by Holy Ghost,

Post #8

Post by Y »

[Replying to Aetixintro]

If you Aetixintro think prayer is matter of interpretation, you should interpreted for your self and not as Holy Ghost. If you would speak with Holy Ghost at least once in your life, you would know, Holy Ghost can’t be interpreted, he already is Interpreter of Gods will. Holy Ghost you accept, or reject.