Like Buttons!

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Like Buttons!

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I think it'd be awesome to have like buttons on each post. Not to be confused with voting buttons which have down-votes. Sometimes I just want to acknowledge agreement without having to make a whole post for it. It could also be used for awards or special badges.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

We already have that. It's called Member Praise Gift Program or MPG.

The button for it is located as a link in the lower left-hand corner of the post you would like to "Like". Just click on that like [MPG Donation] and you can donate a few tokens to the person and comment on what you liked about their post.

Your comments will be sent to the person via PM and will also be posted in the thread below:

Member Praise Gift Program

A gold seal will then be placed on that post in the upper left to show that it has been acknowledged or "Liked". You can then click on the Gold Seal to see who awarded it and what comment they made about it.

More than one person can like a post in this way, but only one Gold Seal will appear. You'll need to click on the Gold Seal to see how many people commented and "Liked" the post.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Divine Insight wrote: We already have that. It's called Member Praise Gift Program or MPG.

The button for it is located as a link in the lower left-hand corner of the post you would like to "Like". Just click on that like [MPG Donation] and you can donate a few tokens to the person and comment on what you liked about their post.

Your comments will be sent to the person via PM and will also be posted in the thread below:

Member Praise Gift Program

A gold seal will then be placed on that post in the upper left to show that it has been acknowledged or "Liked". You can then click on the Gold Seal to see who awarded it and what comment they made about it.

More than one person can like a post in this way, but only one Gold Seal will appear. You'll need to click on the Gold Seal to see how many people commented and "Liked" the post.
Eh. Similar. I didn't know about that, but I'm not really interested in "awarding" a post but rather simply stating "yep" or "I agree" or the like. Just like in Facebook where you can then see right there on the post how many people liked it. It's easier to do, no one has to "give up" anything for it, and it would be encouraging for people who don't know their comments are being appreciated. All the kool social media sites are doing it ;-)
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

I just gave your OP an MPG "Award" just as a test to see if t here is a minimum token requirement. I only gave you 0.01 tokens to give you that "award".

So it's not like it really costs you much of anything unless you want to show more support for what the poster had said.

But I do agree with you that there ought to be multiple "Gold Seals" when more than one person awards a post.

I do appreciate what you are saying about the "likes". They can add up and a post can have a bunch of "stars" or "thumps up" showing lots of support for it.

But still the MPG program is basically the same thing as a "like" with the additional feature that you should comment on what it was you liked about the post.

To have both the MPG program and a "Like" system simultaneously seems a bit redundant.

But I do see your point. The MPG with offering tokens and a comment is a bit more involved than just pressing a like button and being on your way.

I like the MPG program because I can click on the award, see who made the award and why they made it. So if it came down to just one of the other I would vote to keep the MPG Donation program in place just as it is.

But if "like" buttons could be installed in addition to the MPG program I wouldn't have any objections to that. I would still use the MPG program because I like to post a comment stating specifically what I had liked about it.

To just click on a like button is far more anonymous. You have no idea who "liked" the post or why they liked it.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I guess if I wanted to express verbally what I liked about the post I would probably just reply to it. So I'd probably click "like" then reply. If MPGs did have a counter of sorts by it that would be better, but I think the involvement of doing MPG will prevent many people from using it. We'd probably get a lot more "likes" than we would MPGs. Plus, since MPG is primarily a donation/gift, it seems way shallow to give only .01 token and thus I would only give substantially more and do it only for something that I thought was outstanding and not just "good" (i.e. do it much less often). It does seem somewhat redundant I suppose to have both systems, however I would be clicking a lot of "likes" and would probably still use MPG for something that is outstanding just as I would if the likes weren't there. So they seem separated in that way. They both show support and appreciation but one is more outstanding than the other.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

bluethread
Savant

Post #6

Post by bluethread »

It appears from what I've seen so far, you just like pushing other peoples buttons. :lol:

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Re: Like Buttons!

Post #7

Post by olavisjo »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: Sometimes I just want to acknowledge agreement without having to make a whole post for it.
Agreeing with someone on your own side of the aisle- 10 tokens.

Praising them for a good post- 100 tokens.

Agreeing or praising someone from the other side of the aisle- Priceless. :hug:
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

We used to have a Facebook like button for posts, but it didn't work out. I think I'd have to write custom code in order to do post likes. I'll add this to the queue of feature requests.

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

I've implemented this.

On the top of the post, you'll see:
0Δ 0∇

Click on the up arrow if you like it. Click on the down arrow if you don't like it. If you've already cast your vote, it will be bold, like this:
1Δ 0∇

If you click on it again, it will remove your vote.

It also records who votes up or down. In the future, I'll add code to enable Site Supporters and Moderators to be able to view who like/unlike posts.

Let me know if anyone sees any problems with the like buttons.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by Danmark »

otseng wrote: I've implemented this.

On the top of the post, you'll see:
0Δ 0∇

Click on the up arrow if you like it. Click on the down arrow if you don't like it. If you've already cast your vote, it will be bold, like this:
1Δ 0∇

If you click on it again, it will remove your vote.

It also records who votes up or down. In the future, I'll add code to enable Site Supporters and Moderators to be able to view who like/unlike posts.

Let me know if anyone sees any problems with the like buttons.
I just noticed these. I liked the irony of giving ElCode a down button for coming up with the idea, but I resisted my impulse and gave him an up. O:) Hey! Free will exists after all!