Gay Marriage Legalized in Utah!

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Kuan
Site Supporter

Gay Marriage Legalized in Utah!

Post #1

Post by Kuan »

Great step forward, I honestly thought it would take longer in Utah, but politicians here got bit in the back by the guy they brought in to insure this didn't happen!

How many states now have legalized gay marriage?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by Goat »

I personally don't see that the path that Utah went through would be one that sustains a challenge to the Supreme Court. If it does, it has far reaching consequences that I don't think the Supreme Court wants to address at this particular time.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Haven

Post #3

Post by Haven »

Progress! Let's hope it holds up and the expansion of marriage rights for all continues. I know my home state will probably be one of the last to remove the ridiculous restriction on marriage rights, but it's always great to see more and more people experiencing equality.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Kuan »

I dont know either how it will hold up in the long run, but it does show progress. The whole state is fighting back, but with the processes it will take a long time before they might be able to repeal it. So its here for now, and shows progress in the right direction.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Nilloc James »

Non-American question:

Why is this a state-by-state decision?

Seeing as Americans can move around between states and all belong to the same country, shouldn't their marital status be a federal issue not state? If they can get married in one state but not another wouldn't that make policies far more complicated than need be?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

Nilloc James wrote: Non-American question:

Seeing as Americans can move around between states and all belong to the same country, shouldn't their marital status be a federal issue not state? If they can get married in one state but not another wouldn't that make policies far more complicated than need be?
It was the same way in Canada, same-sex marriage was legally recognized in the provinces and territories as of the following dates:
  • June 10, 2003: Ontario
  • July 8, 2003: British Columbia
  • March 19, 2004: Quebec
  • July 14, 2004: Yukon territory
  • September 16, 2004: Manitoba
  • September 24, 2004: Nova Scotia
  • November 5, 2004: Saskatchewan
  • December 21, 2004: Newfoundland and Labrador
  • June 23, 2005: New Brunswick
  • July 20, 2005 (Federal Legislation, the Civil Marriage Act): Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut territory, and the Northwest Territories
So far there are 17 of the United States and the District of Columbia representing 39.2% of the US population which recognize same sex marriage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m ... 28table.29
I suspect that once a certain critical mass has been reached, federal legislation will follow.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

help3434
Guru

Post #7

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 5 by Nilloc James]

The simple answer is that the U.S. Constitution doesn't say anything about marriage, thus it is delegated to the states, per the 10th amendment.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by McCulloch »

[Replying to post 7 by help3434]

The US Constitution did not say anything about involuntary servitude or women voting, but that did not stop the passage of certain amendments.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Nilloc James »

McCulloch wrote:
Nilloc James wrote: Non-American question:

It was the same way in Canada, same-sex marriage was legally recognized in the provinces and territories as of the following dates:
  • June 10, 2003: Ontario
  • July 8, 2003: British Columbia
  • March 19, 2004: Quebec
  • July 14, 2004: Yukon territory
  • September 16, 2004: Manitoba
  • September 24, 2004: Nova Scotia
  • November 5, 2004: Saskatchewan
  • December 21, 2004: Newfoundland and Labrador
  • June 23, 2005: New Brunswick
  • July 20, 2005 (Federal Legislation, the Civil Marriage Act): Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut territory, and the Northwest Territories
So far there are 17 of the United States and the District of Columbia representing 39.2% of the US population which recognize same sex marriage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_m ... 28table.29
I suspect that once a certain critical mass has been reached, federal legislation will follow.

Doesn't change the general point: why is a province by province or state by state approach considered acceptable in this issue?

LES
Student

Post #10

Post by LES »

Gay marriage and abortion, two of the great causes of progressive/liberal philosophy, along with the denial of God and His laws, may well be among the issues that tear this country apart. I suggest you read the Declaration of Independence.