Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

How did God get his moral values?

Post #1

Post by Ooberman »

How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

connermt
Banned
Banned

Re: How did God get his moral values?

Post #2

Post by connermt »

Ooberman wrote: How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
God can do what it wants when it wants to whomever it wants.
God can go against its own rules
There's no questioning god! :roll:

Joab
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by Joab »

Ooberman wrote: How does a theist claim that God is the pinnacle of morality, when God had no control over his moral values?
God is not bound by morality, only man is.

Any atrocity committed by god is moral for god.

He is thus, by definition, AMORAL.

And by definition, then, not the source of objective morality. If such a thing exists.
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by connermt »

Joab wrote:

And by definition, then, not the source of objective morality. If such a thing exists.

Well said :thumb:

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Ooberman »

Joab wrote:

How do we verify this? This seems to be an unfounded assertion, whether a god exists, or we are talking about the Philosophers God.

I don't see how morality can be unbounded. Surely, God has a certain make-up as a "person". In order to be something, you can't also be everything else. That's incoherent.

(The Empire State Building was the tallest building in the world... and the shortest...)

I'm not sure if a God, a priori, must be this. Certainly most theists don't think so (which isn't really telling us much).

Both positions seem to suffer from an ability to verify the claims.
I'm not sure if I can accept this conclusion yet.

However, I think the interesting to think about, if there were 10000000 different possible worlds in which there were 10000000 different Gods, why must they all be exactly like the God proposed by Theists?

I'm not seeing the Law that dictates what a God must be.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Ooberman wrote: ...when God had no control over his moral values?
I would like to see your answers to these questions.
1. What do you think are God’s moral values?
2. Why you think so?
3. And on what basis God has no control over his moral values?

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by dianaiad »

connermt wrote:
Joab wrote:

Well said :thumb:
Moderator Comment

Reminder: one-liners like this are against the rules. Please use the token system to issue 'attaboys' ....the writer will appreciate it far more, since s/he gets more than just warm fuzzies. S/he may be saving up for a usergroup and might really appreciate the tokens.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by EduChris »

Christians claim not that God is the "pinnacle of morality"; rather, we claim is that God is self-giving, other-regarding love.

Morality is simply a term for that which conforms to self-giving, other-regarding love.
I am a work in process; I do not claim absolute knowledge or absolute certainty; I simply present the best working hypothesis I have at the moment, always pending new information and further insight.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π � σ ς τ υ φ χ ψ ω - Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ � Ξ Ο Π Ρ Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω

scourge99
Guru

Post #9

Post by scourge99 »

EduChris wrote:
Christians claim not that God is the "pinnacle of morality"; rather, we claim is that God is self-giving, other-regarding love.

Morality is simply a term for that which conforms to self-giving, other-regarding love.
Perhaps you can translate this "god talk" into something unambiguous and clear that the layman can understand.
Religion remains the only mode of discourse that encourages grown men and women to pretend to know things they manifestly do not know.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Ooberman »

scourge99 wrote:
EduChris wrote:

Perhaps you can translate this "god talk" into something unambiguous and clear that the layman can understand.
Yes, that made no sense to me... but I suspect that was the point. To use God-Speak to confuse rather than enlighten.