Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Haven
Guru

Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Post #1

Post by Haven »

[color=red]Wolfbitn[/color] wrote:I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 IS more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang.
Wolfbitn has provided us with the debate question: Is Genesis 1 more scientifically accurate than Big Bang cosmology and string theory (which are two different things), or is it simply an ancient myth? What evidence is available to settle this claim?

Thread rules:
  • 1) Peer-reviewed sources only.
    2) No creationist or atheist websites may be used as sources.
    3) No empty, unsupported claims may be made; back up all positive statements with evidence.
♥ Haven (she/her) ♥
♥ Kindness is the greatest adventure ♥

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Is Genesis 1 More Accurate than Big Bang Cosmology?

Post #11

Post by Divine Insight »

Wolfbitn wrote: Now address the opening argument, shoot me down IF you can... OR are all the facts presented true thus far?
To begin with you are arguing a fallacious argument. You are addressing the "Big Bang" as if the Big Bang itself is some sort of "theory". Actually it's not.

What has been shown to be true is that in the past the universe was much smaller in the past, and the universe has clearly evolved forward from that time.

Here are you so-called "facts" which really have no bearing on anything.
Wolfbitn wrote: 1) The event has never been tested and it's likely not to be tested anytime soon
That's totally irrelevant. The actual Big Bang event doesn't matter. That's not important to the scientific observation of how the universe has evolved over time. And it doesn't change those observations at all.
Wolfbitn wrote: 2) The math cannot and does not take us to the moment of the event. Therefore the math cannot be checked.
Again, this is totally irrelevant. The Big Bang itself does not need to be described in detail. The fact that the universe has evolved over time as described by cosmology does not depend upon how the Big Bang got might have gotten started.

So this is irrelevant.

You seem to be acting like as if the "Big Bang Theory" includes all of cosmological observations. But that's not the case. On the contrary all of cosmological observations lead to a conclusion that there must have been a "Big Bang".

So the "Big Bang" is the conclusion of observation, not a "theory" of how the universe evolved.
Wolfbitn wrote: 3) This is after several colliders being built, likely easily hundreds of billions of dollars spent to find these answers, UNTOLD super-computing power, from UNTOLD numbers of computers and the worlds most brilliant mathematicians, Radio-telescope arrays, and SO many other resources being spent to FIND this answer of the moment of the event.
Again totally irrelevant to the know facts of how the cosmos evolved after this event had occurred.
Wolfbitn wrote: 4) During the last decade, string is taking a lot of flack, and there have been several noted scientists who have just quit the idea in frustration.
String Theory doesn't even have anything at all to do with the Big Bang. On the contrary, String Theory was invented specifically to meld together General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, and I'll be the first to agree that it hasn't succeeded in this promise. But this has absolutely nothing at all to do with any Big Bang.
Wolfbitn wrote: 5) Doctor Alan Guth himself (and this is one reason I have so much respect for him... his honesty) has stated that though it has failed so far, it is still a very cool idea (paraphrasing), but he did state honestly too outright that though it is a very pretty idea, the math simply does not work out. THAT is honesty from one of strings most prolific developers.
Alan Guth is talking about his Inflation Theory which may or may not be true. He's not talking about cosmology in general.

Wolfbitn wrote: 6) BB/string then OBVIOUSLY has major problems. We can simplify this logically just by observing that IF BB is ever to be found to hold water, it is obviously MISSING a factor or 2 or more. What is this factor? Everything we could have conceivably thrown at it has failed the test. NO ONE knows what is missing... but I believe I DO know what is missing.
And all of that is totally irrelevant to the FACT that we have already established how the universe has unfolded since the event of the Big Bang.

That observed and verified data will not change no matter what theories might replace the "Big Bang".

We still know precisely how the universe has unfolded since very shortly after this event we refer to as the "Big Bang".

You seem to be suggesting that if we can't prove that there actually was a "Big Bang" that all of observational cosmology must then be thrown into question.

But that's simply not true.

So you have absolutely NOTHING so far.

You haven't produced a single solitary reason why we should reject modern cosmology. Modern cosmology DOES NOT depend upon a Big Bang. It doesn't matter how the universe got started, it has clearly evolved in the way that modern cosmology has observed.

So I have no clue what you even think you are attempting to argue again.

Are you in denial that the universe has been evolving for at least 14 billion years or more?

That is an observed FACT that does not even require any "Big Bang" at all.

Modern cosmologist know exactly how the universe has unfolded over time. That is an observed and confirmed fact.

And our sun was not among the first stars. On the contrary our sun could not even form until earlier stars had exploded to spew out chemically rich dust and gasses that could condense to become our Sun.

Are you aware of cosmology at all? :-k

We even understand how our sun evolved. And the solar system and the earth.

And like Danmark said, it's not at all compatible with the Biblical account in Genesis.

So you haven't offered anything meaningful yet.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

Wolfbitn wrote: You didnt address a single thing regarding my opening post. There is a post right above you critiquing the BB AND string. Are you saying that when comparing the BB and Genesis 1, I should NOT point out the shortcomings of BB? This is the discussion... Now then if YOU want to debate this I am much more than happy, but either verify or refute by critique thus far of the BB and we will move on... I expect no more spam here but an addressing of the opening points.
Modern cosmology is not dependent upon the Big Bang.

You are acting like as if because the BB cannot be scientifically explained or verified this brings into question all of the observational facts of modern cosmology.

And that is just dead wrong.
[center]Image
[/center]

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by Wolfbitn »

Wolfbitn wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Haven]

First of all I want to address the word "Theory".

In the scientific sense, a true "Theory" has to meet certain criteria. Some of these criteria are but not limited to:

1) Objectivity. Without Objectivity we cannot at all practice anything even resembling science. All evidence must be considered equally. Objectivity demands that we present and work with ALL facts available. Biased testing only insures a flawed outcome. Non-objective and biased testing and result and then publication is nothing more than fraud and propaganda. SCIENCE though is a beautiful thing... science is blind like justice and let the balances fall where they may.

2) Testability. A true theory has to be tested to become a theory. It is only a hypothesis if the theory has never been tested. A theory can be tested and "falsified" meaning it failed the test and thus far holds no water so it becomes a falsified theory. Finally a theory can be tested and pass the test, meaning that it could not be found to be false after testing. This must be a test that is repeatable, having the same positive results by the end of testing.

I am a huge fan of Stephen Hawking and also a big fan of Dr. Alan Guth, Theoretical physicist and very recently formerly a professor at MIT, and a developer of a sort of "Chaotic" type of string theory. I'm sure we are aware of the brilliant careers of both these men.

Although I love science, and although I have great respect for great minds, I believe I also recognize when we begin reaching for straws. Now don't get me wrong. I am not an enemy of the Big Bang OR string. Like Guth I find them fascinating ideas, but they are obviously flawed.

You noted earlier that I mention string and bang in the same breath. You mention they are different theories and while, yes this is true, I think you would agree that BB (Big Bang) is incomplete and String has been an attempt to give BB it's beginning. As it is BB is not a completed theory at all. It has no beginning. What do I mean by this?

Generally speaking, a lot of the math works out pretty well for BB... it could be said fairly AMAZINGLY well... except, as we near the moment of the event, The math ceases to work out. It completely fails. It has been a very frustrating quest for many a scholar, but it simply does not work out. The popular claim is made that the math can take us back to just a FEW seconds AFTER the bang, or more properly termed sudden expansion, but then it ceases to work. Half a century of untold resources and computing power have gone into WHY did it bang, but even with this, taking it back to the moment has never worked out mathematically or through other physical testing. The one thing BB has going for it is that some of the predictions regarding it have actually been tested and so far SOME of them hold up... But this is ONLY testing a PREDICTION... and to be objectively fair, these predictions did not need a BB to exist. There very well could be other explanations for instance for background microwave radiation.

Now I will have to clarify myself. I am actually a FAN of BB and string. I dont deny the math works back to a few seconds after the event. THIS is why lovers of BB were so excited when string came along... this was FINALLY (they thought) going to reveal and complete the BB theory. So it is no exageration to say that BB is an incomplete theory... it doesnt have a beginning. It just randomly begins a few seconds after the event... a bottomless thought. It has no foundation... no beginning. We cannot work back to the beginning, so we cant work from the beginning to now to even test our equations.

This is why i lump string and BB as one... although we could do the same saddling BB with a few other theories, but mostly we have worked with variations of string for decades. At first string could not be tested. We developed the collider. The test failed. The hopefuls said "we need a bigger collider" and they got one, and it failed. We built one nearly big as some cities, tested and failed to verify any sort of string theory. So the BB STILL has a missing beginning. If we cannot work this from the moment of the singularity event, we cannot work it both ways to check our math and we certainly then cannot even test the event to see if it is even feasible.

This puts the BB on very shaky ground when contending for the title of "Theory". It may be fairly called a well tested hypothesis, and SOME of the predictions may have certainly been tested and SOME of them have passed. But the event... no not so much as a single test and they cannot even do the math to get them there.

So...

1) The event has never been tested and it's likely not to be tested anytime soon
2) The math cannot and does not take us to the moment of the event. Therefore the math cannot be checked.
3) This is after several colliders being built, likely easily hundreds of billions of dollars spent to find these answers, UNTOLD super-computing power, from UNTOLD numbers of computers and the worlds most brilliant mathematicians, Radio-telescope arrays, and SO many other resources being spent to FIND this answer of the moment of the event.
4) During the last decade, string is taking a lot of flack, and there have been several noted scientists who have just quit the idea in frustration.
5) Doctor Alan Guth himself (and this is one reason I have so much respect for him... his honesty) has stated that though it has failed so far, it is still a very cool idea (paraphrasing), but he did state honestly too outright that though it is a very pretty idea, the math simply does not work out. THAT is honesty from one of strings most prolific developers.
6) BB/string then OBVIOUSLY has major problems. We can simplify this logically just by observing that IF BB is ever to be found to hold water, it is obviously MISSING a factor or 2 or more. What is this factor? Everything we could have conceivably thrown at it has failed the test. NO ONE knows what is missing... but I believe I DO know what is missing.

This is where it gets sticky for an Atheist's cosmology. If they simply allow an atheistic bias to keep them from factoring in "God" in a serious way, after EVERYTHING ELSE has been attempted, then they are slanting the test results. I think that it is obviously time to broaden our horizons and move aside the biases in the scientific community in this regard and GIVE IT an honest test.

THIS is why we are here in this thread now, Haven and myself, to put this to the test. We are both removing bias, and I will be presenting Genesis 1 showing from the Hebrew language, that it deserves merit for consideration and is as testable as string and BB, and will fare even better.

I dont want to get too lengthy or make too many points on this opening defense. I give the floor to Haven for his approval or rebuttal of things stated and presented thus far.

Many thanks to all and especially to Haven
Wolfbitn

Ok then... if NO ONE HERE can argue the facts in my post (quoted above) . then EVERYTHING PRESENTED remains on the table absolutely unrefuted at every point, and THIS is what we will compare to Genesis 1... which I will then present in the next post...

I have given every skeptic here absolutely every chance to refute the facts found above and no one has stepped up to the plate... so these will stand as a comparison to Genesis 1 if no one can refute it... BUT are any of you honest enough and strong enough and ethical enough to concede that these presented facts regarding BB are true?

Divine simply says the same thing I did... except he states these points are irrelevant. He AGREES that Bib Bang doesnt even qualify for the title of "theory" which I also point out.

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by Wolfbitn »

Divine Insight wrote:
Wolfbitn wrote: You didnt address a single thing regarding my opening post. There is a post right above you critiquing the BB AND string. Are you saying that when comparing the BB and Genesis 1, I should NOT point out the shortcomings of BB? This is the discussion... Now then if YOU want to debate this I am much more than happy, but either verify or refute by critique thus far of the BB and we will move on... I expect no more spam here but an addressing of the opening points.
Modern cosmology is not dependent upon the Big Bang.

You are acting like as if because the BB cannot be scientifically explained or verified this brings into question all of the observational facts of modern cosmology.

And that is just dead wrong.

No I am not acting like this at all... Im quite good with the fact that the BB doesnt qualify as a theory, and I am quite good that cosmological observation says the BB is a possibly a possibility... You are actually almost making my points

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #15

Post by Divine Insight »

Wolfbitn wrote: Ok then... if NO ONE HERE can argue the facts in my post (quoted above) . then EVERYTHING PRESENTED remains on the table absolutely unrefuted at every point, and THIS is what we will compare to Genesis 1... which I will then present in the next post...

I have given every skeptic here absolutely every chance to refute the facts found above and no one has stepped up to the plate... so these will stand as a comparison to Genesis 1 if no one can refute it... BUT are any of you honest enough and strong enough and ethical enough to concede that these presented facts regarding BB are true?
I just did refute them.

Modern cosmology DOES NOT depend upon the technical details of a Big Bang.

So who cares that the Big Bang has not yet been explained in precise detail?

You are making a fallacious argument.

Moreover, how would Genesis one even have anything at all to do with the Big Bang?

Genesis one described how the universe supposed unfolded AFTER God said "Let there be light".

God saying "Let there be Light" would have been the "Big Bang".

But everything after that in Genesis is WRONG.

Moreover, look at how silly your argument is:

In order for the Genesis Creation to be true, you would actually NEED to have a "Big Bang" at the moment God said, "Let there be Light".

So for you to argue against a Big Bang is silly. The Big Bang is actually about the only thing that is in agreement with the Genesis account. Everything in Genesis fails AFTER the Big bang.

What happened AFTER the Big Bang, we already have down pat.
[center]Image
[/center]

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Wolfbitn »

[Replying to post 15 by Divine Insight]

Well you did not refute a thing... You know perfectly well that those supporting the BB were looking for string to help come to the beginning of the event.

and the title of this thread is an OBVIOUS comparison of the scientific veracity of the BB vs the scientific veracity of Genesis 1... if this is not what you want to debate, start something else.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Danmark »

Wolfbitn wrote:
Danmark wrote:
Wolfbitn wrote: [Replying to post 7 by Danmark]

Yes, but you're not waiting on me, we are waiting on Haven or anyone to come along and verify my opening argument or refute it...

So when he wants to verify the facts presented, or refute them, I am more than happy to move on.
I hate to simply contradict you, but what you just said is wrong. You claimed:

I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 IS more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang.

Where is your demonstration?

I just presented a refutation of your claim, based on the self contradictory creation myth in Genesis.
You've chosen to ignore that argument. Ignoring may be your best or only 'argument.' Without the 'demonstration' you said you could make, I will assume you indeed have no argument.

You didnt address a single thing regarding my opening post. There is a post right above you critiquing the BB AND string. Are you saying that when comparing the BB and Genesis 1, I should NOT point out the shortcomings of BB? This is the discussion... Now then if YOU want to debate this I am much more than happy, but either verify or refute by critique thus far of the BB and we will move on... I expect no more spam here but an addressing of the opening points.
Where you err is in your failure to understand your own claim and the fact that it calls for a comparison.

"I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 is more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang."

Before you can compare two 'scientific' claims, you have show that they both at least have some scientific validity.

At your own request you are saddled with showing the Genesis account even enters the field of science at all. This you cannot do and have not even attempted, because you can't. The Genesis account is clearly not scientific. It does not even pretend to be. It is self contradictory as is frequently the case with mythology when mistakenly compared to scientific theory.

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Wolfbitn »

Divine Insight wrote:
Divine said wrote:

Moreover, look at how silly your argument is:

In order for the Genesis Creation to be true, you would actually NEED to have a "Big Bang" at the moment God said, "Let there be Light".

No I dont believe this at all... you should address something actually stated :)

Wolfbitn
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Wolfbitn »

[Replying to post 17 by Danmark]

So you agree then that my opening argument is verified. I dont see you refuting a single fact presented. I see you agreeing that BB doesnt qualify as a theory.

We have not even begun applying Genesis from the Hebrew for "comparison"... this will come when someone can just have the integrity to say... "yes the facts presented regarding the BB are true". Then we can continue in an orderly way... OR pick a single point or several one by one and refute them if you can... I shouldnt have to repost it for you
Last edited by Wolfbitn on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #20

Post by Divine Insight »

[color=red]Wolfbitn[/color] wrote:I can demonstrate that Genesis 1 IS more scientifically valid and better tested than string theory/Big Bang.
How in the world would an ancient myth that claims that a God said, "Let there be light, and there was light" be anymore scientific of testable than our current theories that the Big Bang may have started as a quantum fluctuation?

And why should Genesis be trusted when it gets everything else wrong after that?
[center]Image
[/center]