Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Negative Assumption in Christianity?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

From another thread:
So then, religion tells us what we must do, but Christianity tells us we are worthless, and can do nothing!
1) Is the quote "Christianity tells us we are worthless" accurate? If not, how is it wrong?

2) Is it partially correct?

3) What would induce anyone to adopt a religion that started with such a negative assumption?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Negative Assumption in Christianity?

Post #2

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

Christianity quite often claims it, but I'm quite certain Jesus never got anywhere near claiming it himself.
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

Zzyzx wrote: .
From another thread:
So then, religion tells us what we must do, but Christianity tells us we are worthless, and can do nothing!
1) Is the quote "Christianity tells us we are worthless" accurate? If not, how is it wrong?
It depends on what flavor of Christianity. There is a certain segment that put emphases on. 'we are all sinners'.. but not all Christian variations do so. The ones that go for the heavy evangelism tend to push this.

It is partly correct. Calvinists for exmaple, push how 'corrupted' people are.

3) What would induce anyone to adopt a religion that started with such a negative assumption?
The people who have low self esteem to begin with, and they see' Oh .look, someone sacrificed their life just for you even though you are 'less than rags'..
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

bjs
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by bjs »

Zzyzx wrote: 1) Is the quote "Christianity tells us we are worthless" accurate? If not, how is it wrong?

Christianity teaches that we are of immense intrinsic worth. We are created in the image of our Creator, we are the greatest of His creations in this world, and nothing can separate us from His love save our own desire to be separate from Him.

Christianity all teaches that we did not create ourselves and we do not maintain our own existence – a fact that seems indisputably true. Since we did not create ourselves, at the very least our potential to do anything good must be a gift from our Creator.

Zzyzx wrote: 2) Is it partially correct?

If someone takes a grain of truth and then twists it to mean something entirely different, does that make it partially correct? I would say no, but it could be a matter of semantics.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

postroad
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by postroad »

I imagine it has its roots in Judaism.

The whole thing about being a special people and having the only true understanding about God.

But he wont do anything for us because of our miserable sinful ways.

But someday!! Those sent to oppress us will get theirs.

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by YahDough »

Zzyzx wrote: .
From another thread:
1) Is the quote "Christianity tells us we are worthless" accurate?
Who's "we"? All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. But God must have found some possible potential for His "fallen" but not worthless creation since He sent Christ Jesus to redeem it/them.
If not, how is it wrong?
"Christianity" tell us that Christ has been sent to bring hope and salvation to those who may otherwise feel or in fact be worthless.
No. God may convict us of worthlessness, but at the same time Christianity (Christ Jesus) gives us the opportunity to change.
How about realizing it was a wrong assumption, or at least an assumption/condition that can be corrected.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Goat »

postroad wrote: I imagine it has its roots in Judaism.

The whole thing about being a special people and having the only true understanding about God.

But he wont do anything for us because of our miserable sinful ways.

But someday!! Those sent to oppress us will get theirs.

Boy, do you misunderstand what the concept of 'being chosen' is about in Judaism. It is not 'chosen' as being favored, it is 'chosen' in taking on more responsibility to 'change the world', and live up to a higher standard.. not to convert people, but rather to serve as model. Of course, that too is more than a bit egotistical, but not in the same way.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

KCKID
Guru

Post #8

Post by KCKID »

I think the concept behind Christianity and its relationship with God is not so much that humans are 'worthless' but rather that they are ...'unworthy'. Moreover, for the professed Christian, their human 'unworthiness' is imputed to Jesus so that when Jesus eventually represents them in the future HIS 'worthiness' will be accounted to them. Unfortunately, many Christians then contradict this major tenet by preaching the conflicting message that one has to attain their 'own' righteousness or 'worthiness' independently of Jesus. In other words, why Jesus in the first place?

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 1 by Zzyzx]

I was taught "We are worthless, and can do nothing without god!" during my stint in christianity. However, we we also taught what we do is worthless unless god's involved in it and promotes god's agenda. So, basically, it's telling us we are worthless - period.
What would induce anyone to adopt a religion that started with such a negative assumption? Guilt. Fear. Both of which are part of modern christianity and taught, with force and apparent success. Some people just like to feel....anything... even if it's bad. Others like to be "victims" while others like the "we will win in the end" aspect of christianity.
I don't believe that most christians truly understand what they're believing in and what their 'wondrous eternal life' encompasses; they may say they do but in reality, they're in it for the "here and now"

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

So far I've seen a lot of claims about Jesus, but what did Jesus say? Can anyone quote a single verse where Jesus said something to the effect of our unworthiness or inability to fulfill his requests? Pretty sure that's only a Pauline teaching...
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.