Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

"The Christian Lifestyle"

Post #1

Post by connermt »

Many still claim being gay 'is a choice'.
Being a christian is a choice.
In a thread here, there was conversation about 'the gay lifestyle'.
So it made me wonder:
What is the 'christian lifestyle'?
What has to be met for one to be part of 'the christian lifestyle'?
Does it exists, or is it a social construct only?
When one stops being a christian, does their lifestyle change?
Or is it something else?

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Of course, it is a social construct. In spite of protestations to the contrary, egalitarians use social constructs also. The point isn't that these people don't act in accordance with social constructs. It is that they want to change the predominant social construct. This is a common ploy that has been used since the revolutions of the early 1900's, if not before. First, one demonizes the predominant social constructs, because they are JUST social constructs. Then one establishes ones own preferred social constructs as an effort to return order to society.

Regarding the Christian lifestyle, it would be behaviors which differentiate Christians from the general population. Personally, given modern American Christianity, I do not see much of a difference. To be fair, mine is a Torah observant lifestyle, because I observe Torah practices that the general public does not.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 2 by bluethread]

What is a torah lifestyle?
How does that differ from any other lifestyle?

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 2 by bluethread]

Well, among other things, it includes not doing one's ordinary work on a Shabbat, observing Adonai's appointed times, not eating pork, etc.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by connermt »

bluethread wrote:
connermt wrote: [Replying to post 2 by bluethread]

Well, among other things, it includes not doing one's ordinary work on a Shabbat, observing Adonai's appointed times, not eating pork, etc.
What's so bad about pork? I never understood that concept.

Joab
Under Probation

Post #6

Post by Joab »

The embargo on eating pork is proof positive that these rules were made by ignorant men and not gods.

A god would have told them to cook it properly.
What the world needs now
Is love sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just to little of.
No not just for some
But for everyone

Jackie Deshannon

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by connermt »

Joab wrote: The embargo on eating pork is proof positive that these rules were made by ignorant men and not gods.

A god would have told them to cook it properly.
Was my thought too. I just thought, maybe, there was another reason. :confused2:

Hatuey
Banned
Banned

Re: "The Christian Lifestyle"

Post #8

Post by Hatuey »

connermt wrote: Many still claim being gay 'is a choice'.
So it made me wonder:
Or is it something else?
The Christian lifestyle is anything the Christian wants it to be. There's a scripture and an interpretation out there for anything you feel like doing. See Fred Phelps and the Crusades and the Inquisition and witch burnings. History shows just how simple it is. The Christian lifestyle is anything the Christian wants it to be.

acehighinfinity
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by acehighinfinity »

[Replying to post 1 by connermt]

Geez, didn't know it was unlimited starting a NEW THREAD at will lol

99percentatheism
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by 99percentatheism »

connermt wrote: Many still claim being gay 'is a choice'.
So it made me wonder:
Or is it something else?

Welllllllllllll let's see what's up in the reality department shall we?
Qualifications for Overseers and Deacons
3 Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task. 2 Now the overseer is to be above reproach, faithful to his wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, 3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. 4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him, and he must do so in a manner worthy of full[a] respect. 5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?) 6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 7 He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil’s trap.
8 In the same way, deacons are to be worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain. 9 They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience. 10 They must first be tested; and then if there is nothing against them, let them serve as deacons.

11 In the same way, the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

12 A deacon must be faithful to his wife and must manage his children and his household well. 13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 3
Paul to another Christian on the Christian lifestyle:

An elder must be blameless, faithful to his wife, a man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient. 7 Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless—not overbearing, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. 8 Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined. 9 He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Rebuking Those Who Fail to Do Good
10 For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11 They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain. 12 One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.� 13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith 14 and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth. 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.
Now I do believe, you know believe them, according to gay activists that is and the standard gay supporter here as well, and the gay community living the gay lifestyle, bada-bada-bada-bada-bada, yada, yada, yada, yada . . . that a man is not exactly "married" to a wife in the same way as that is meant in t"T Christian lifestyle."/i] I mean do I have to point out that in "The Christian Lfestyle," a wife is the female spouse of a (genetically male) man? And a husband is the male spouse of a female woman?

And more on living The Christian Lifestyle. A lifestyle embraced by change:

3 For you have spent enough time in the past doing what pagans choose to do—living in debauchery, lust, drunkenness, orgies, carousing and detestable idolatry. 4 They are surprised that you do not join them in their reckless, wild living, and they heap abuse on you. 5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

1 Peter 4

And dear old Jude. Can't leave him on the sidelines can we?

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 4 For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.

- Jude

One thing is certain, The Christian Lifestyle, does not include same gender sex uality.

You know, according to that thing known as The New Testament. Which of course is very important in describing The Christian Lifestyle . . . it has not one word of supoort of an affirming tone, for The Gay Lifestyle. (Though it does speak rather oppositional towards it.) Which of course "The Gay Lifestyle, is well defined by same gender sexuality. Which in turn is not part of The Christian Lifestyle.As proven above by the authors that wrote - in the canon of scripture - about The Christian Lifestyle

Not a bad thread so far. We'll see how it does as it goes along though. But most of my detractors know what I think about that. No need to post more stark reality until a reply is called for.