Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

connermt
Banned
Banned

Christian Community

Post #1

Post by connermt »

There are all types of communities out there. At one time, there was a push for a SE state to succeed from the USA and become a christian state (think it was a Carolina several years back...not sure whatever happened to it).
As a believer, all else equal, would you be willing to live in a community comprised entirely of christian/believers? Would that make your lives easier? No drugs. No prostitutes. No gays or muslims. No un-wed mothers, etc

Or, as a believer, is it your mission from god to immerse yourself with non-believers and witness to them? Drugs, prostitutes, gays, muslims and un-wed mothers abound.

Which would you prefer and why?
Show how your preference is supported by scripture/your own interpretation of said scripture.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: Christian Community

Post #2

Post by dianaiad »

connermt wrote: There are all types of communities out there. At one time, there was a push for a SE state to succeed from the USA and become a christian state (think it was a Carolina several years back...not sure whatever happened to it).
As a believer, all else equal, would you be willing to live in a community comprised entirely of christian/believers? Would that make your lives easier? No drugs. No prostitutes. No gays or muslims. No un-wed mothers, etc

Or, as a believer, is it your mission from god to immerse yourself with non-believers and witness to them? Drugs, prostitutes, gays, muslims and un-wed mothers abound.

Which would you prefer and why?
Show how your preference is supported by scripture/your own interpretation of said scripture.
Well....

humnnnn.....

No. 'course, I'm a little weird, but I had a chance to live, not only in a Christian community, but a MORMON Christian community. Was raised in one. Went back to live in one...loved it, actually, but....

I left and came to Southern California.

The thing about living in an all-one-belief-system community is that it gets strange. Now, I'm not just talking about Mormon communities. I've lived in all Baptist communities, all Catholic ones...and have even dealt with all atheist ones (in the academic arena). Doesn't matter what brand of 'we're all the same' it is, it's still going to end up insular, judgmental, inbred and downright strange.

Besides, in an all Christian community (that is, an 'all-one-sort-of-Christian' community0, how can we obey Jesus' commandment to go and teach people?

Nah. We need the challenge, the new ideas and the input from others to keep us thinking and on our toes; to keep the complacency at bay.

We ALL do...and I don't care what brand of philosophy or religion we belong to.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 1 by connermt]

Those who would like to experience what is reputed to be a believer-only community might be interested in Hildale, Utah / Colorado City, Arizona, a twin city straddling the border. An "added attraction" for some might be that men are encouraged to have multiple wives (it is an excommunicated group known as FLDS and headed by the infamous, imprisoned Warren Jeffs).

From what I learned knowing several people who literally escaped from there (their term, not mine), it is very authoritarian and very isolated from society -- and not a pleasant place to live.

Theocracy has been found to be a terrible form of government, locally, regionally and nationally.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by dianaiad »

Zzyzx wrote: [Replying to post 1 by connermt]

Those who would like to experience what is reputed to be a believer-only community might be interested in Hildale, Utah / Colorado City, Arizona, a twin city straddling the border. An "added attraction" for some might be that men are encouraged to have multiple wives (it is an excommunicated group known as FLDS and headed by the infamous, imprisoned Warren Jeffs).

From what I learned knowing several people who literally escaped from there (their term, not mine), it is very authoritarian and very isolated from society -- and not a pleasant place to live.

Theocracy has been found to be a terrible form of government, locally, regionally and nationally.
To be fair, theocracy isn't the problem, exactly. There have been theocracies that allowed other viewpoints. Not many,true....but since you brought up one of the Mormon offshoots, so will I.

When apportioning building sites in SLC, Brigham Young first figured out where our Temple would go. Then he set aside building sites for other churches. Not LDS churches...the Catholics and the Lutherans and the Baptists. He didn't put them away in some ghetto, either; they were prime building sites in the center, where they could be easily accessed. BY invited the ministers of other faiths to come in, and donated the land. In some cases, the local Mormons also donated the labor. Many of those church buildings still stand, and are still used by the folks invited to use 'em....and they are indeed in really good sites. Better, sometimes, than the sites assigned to LDS chapels.

.............and that, my friend, for a good long time, was a theocracy. ;)

What we are talking about here is more than a theocracy, though many such cultures are indeed theocratic. We (or at least I, and you, too, when referring to the FLDS groups) are referring to something more pervasive even than the form of government. We are also talking about a deep set culture with rules the government does not, and cannot, enforce.

It involves culture, (which usually includes religion but doesn't necessarily do so), family, the 'best families,' and the 'newcomers,' the 'right people' and the 'wrong ones..' all determined by culture and tradition.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Zzyzx »

dianaiad wrote:
When apportioning building sites in SLC, Brigham Young first figured out where our Temple would go. Then he set aside building sites for other churches. Not LDS churches...the Catholics and the Lutherans and the Baptists. He didn't put them away in some ghetto, either; they were prime building sites in the center, where they could be easily accessed. BY invited the ministers of other faiths to come in, and donated the land. In some cases, the local Mormons also donated the labor. Many of those church buildings still stand, and are still used by the folks invited to use 'em....and they are indeed in really good sites. Better, sometimes, than the sites assigned to LDS chapels.
Thank you for providing that information. I was not aware. Kudos to Brigham Young for setting a high bar for other religious groups / communities.

I hesitated before mentioning Colorado City / Hildale, thinking of you and other LDS people. I realize there the FLDS is not part of LDS and has been excommunicated, but others may not make that distinction.

However, the cult is fresh on my mind because as we speak here I am dealing with some aftereffects of its teachings and practices. A woman to whom I was married for ten years (and now divorced for several) escaped from the cult thirty years ago but STILL struggles to adapt to the real world – and has requested (and received) help from me.

Although, as you say, it isn't just religion involved but is primarily that (often in a warped fashion). Perverted people can and do use religion to achieve their own objectives / agendas. Perhaps a reduction in tendency to obey "authorities" would be in order for many or most (that said as a non-conformist for almost three-quarters of a century).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by dianaiad »

Zzyzx wrote: .
dianaiad wrote:
Thank you for providing that information. I was not aware. Kudos to Brigham Young for setting a high bar for other religious groups / communities.

I hesitated before mentioning Colorado City / Hildale, thinking of you and other LDS people. I realize there the FLDS is not part of LDS and has been excommunicated, but others may not make that distinction.
No problems. They ARE Mormons, inasmuch as they believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and in the Book of Mormon. They are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, however (LDS). Yes, anybody practicing polygamy in the LDS church is excommunicated faster than the door can slam.

Oh, and don't kid yourself; BY wasn't stupid. How can we convert people if there aren't people to convert? ;) We have to practice on somebody!

Zzyzx wrote:However, the cult is fresh on my mind because as we speak here I am dealing with some aftereffects of its teachings and practices. A woman to whom I was married for ten years (and now divorced for several) escaped from the cult thirty years ago but STILL struggles to adapt to the real world – and has requested (and received) help from me.
I can't say that the problem is polygamy...not with my family history. The problem is that the folks in the RLDS and other polygamous groups haven't got a clue how to make polygamy work; there is no way that those folks would accept that the only way polygamy works is if the women are the bosses. It's not the women can't handle the situation...the men can't, and so they take way too much power on themselves.
Zzyzx wrote:Although, as you say, it isn't just religion involved but is primarily that (often in a warped fashion). Perverted people can and do use religion to achieve their own objectives / agendas. Perhaps a reduction in tendency to obey "authorities" would be in order for many or most (that said as a non-conformist for almost three-quarters of a century).
Well...perhaps. I have a problem with authority figures who say 'do this because I say so,' or even 'do this because I said God said so...' and do not give us the way to check that out, or the reasons behind the 'say so.'

So far I haven't had a leader do that, which is a very good thing because I'm naturally pretty rebellious myself. Not that Mormons (including the LDS) don't have such critters; nothing all that extra special about Mormons as humans; it's just that I've been lucky enough to avoid 'em.

connermt
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by connermt »

[Replying to post 2 by dianaiad]
...'course, I'm a little weird...
No foolin'?!?! (j/k ;) )
We need the challenge, the new ideas and the input from others to keep us thinking and on our toes; to keep the complacency at bay.
I will say that, even though I have had exceptionally negative interaction with mormons (not a dig, just personal statement) I see that mormons seem to love this type of challenge.
Say what they want about mormons - they at least get out there and make an effort!
That aside, I would agree that people need to be challenged - not just in religion but all aspects of life.
I think it a good practice to adopt.

BigRed
Student

Post #8

Post by BigRed »

I'd like to live in a community with no dogs.
Everyone seems to have dogs. Usually two dogs.
They are always barking and the owners don't pick up the poop.

BigRed

BTW most of my neighbors are Christians.
It's not what you think you know..It's what can be proven to be true.

RonE
Scholar

Post #9

Post by RonE »

[Replying to connermt]

Why would you assume that a christian community would be free of vices?
*"On the other hand, we have people who are believers who are so completely sold on the literal interpretation of the first book of the Bible that they are rejecting very compelling scientific data about the age of the earth and the relatedness of living beings." Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D.
*The Atheist has the comfort of no fears for an afterlife and lacks any compulsion to blow himself up.
* Science flies to you the moon.... religion flies you into buildings.
* Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by dianaiad »

connermt wrote: [Replying to post 2 by dianaiad]
...'course, I'm a little weird...
No foolin'?!?! (j/k ;) )
no foolin. ;) In a good 'she's eccentric and interesting' sort of way, of course.
connermt wrote:
We need the challenge, the new ideas and the input from others to keep us thinking and on our toes; to keep the complacency at bay.
I will say that, even though I have had exceptionally negative interaction with mormons (not a dig, just personal statement) I see that mormons seem to love this type of challenge.
Say what they want about mormons - they at least get out there and make an effort!
That aside, I would agree that people need to be challenged - not just in religion but all aspects of life.
I think it a good practice to adopt.
For everybody. It is comfortable to be in a culture with which one agrees completely. And boring. And stultifying. Ideas should be pinging around people like flowers in a spring gale; hold on to that which is good, and reach for more.

Ok, now that was bad metaphoring. But you know what I mean, right?